Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet gripper strip

On 09 Oct 2015, Tim+ grunted:

Lobster wrote:
I've just pulled up a worn-out fitted carpet in readiness for a
replacement. It had been fitted on a solid floor, using carpet
gripper strip which had been glued to the floor; and in spite of my
best efforts, most of the strips have come away from the floor along
with the carpet. A bit odd, as I've replaced third carpet before
with no problem, and the grippers date from the previous
installation.

Anyway.

My query is about the fact that all the gripper had been glued down
in short lengths of no more than about 9", rather than mostly as full
lengths of 3 or 4 feet. I'd have thought that would make it far more
likely for the lengths to come unstuck; or have I got that arse about
face? I'm wondering whether it was done by the fitters this way
deliberately, or whether it was because they were just using up loads
of gripper offcuts from the van?

Would like to know before I fix it! (I'm not fitting the new carpet
myself, but will do the grippers.)

Thanks

Wrong group, but, I would say leave the gripper fixing to the carpet
fitters. That way, if it comes unstuck it's their job to sort it.

Yes, sorry about that! Had been wondering why this hadn't appeared on uk.d-
i-y.... follow-ups set.

The trouble with leaving gripper fixing to the fitters is that for a solid
floor they need glueing down, which I would say really means a separate
trip to do that job if the glue is going to have cured strongly enough to
hold stretched carpet in place. I've certainly seen the results of fitters
glueing and fitting within the same session

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Solid, whats it made of?
Is this the metal stuff or the stuff made of some kind of plastic?
Brian

Email:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
On 09 Oct 2015, Tim+ grunted:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Solid, whats it made of?

I presume he meant solid (i.e. concrete) floor, not solid gripper

Is this the metal stuff or the stuff made of some kind of plastic?

You get metal grippers for joints and transitions at doors etc, but the
usual around the wall stuff is still plywood with nasty spiky nails ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 October 2015 10:01:10 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
On 09 Oct 2015, Tim+ grunted:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

They use short bits if the floor is uneven.
Long bits would leave gaps underneath.

Bendable double sided carpet gripper/trim? Tim Watts[_3_] UK diy 10 March 29th 15 11:00 AM
Carpet cover strip johno UK diy 1 July 21st 10 09:25 AM
carpet fitting with gripper rods No Joke UK diy 5 October 12th 06 07:21 PM
Carpet gripper JoeJoe UK diy 4 July 31st 05 10:07 AM
Carpet, underlay and gripper fun! Ric UK diy 19 October 8th 04 09:14 AM