Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default carpet fitting with gripper rods

Can someone tell me if gripper rod is used across the entrance to a front
door?
If not, how is the carpet secured there? Just plain old carpet tacks?

Many thanks

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "No Joke" contains these words:

Can someone tell me if gripper rod is used across the entrance to a front
door?

Ours is.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"No Joke" asked:
Can someone tell me if gripper rod is used across the entrance to a front
door?
If not, how is the carpet secured there? Just plain old carpet tacks?

Many thanks

S.

Yes, gripper rods are used for that, tacks will produced a dimpled
appearance. If fitting a gripper rod is a problem, an alternative is a
nailed or screwed-down metal carpet bar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Joke wrote:

Can someone tell me if gripper rod is used across the entrance to a
front door?
If not, how is the carpet secured there? Just plain old carpet tacks?

Many thanks

S.

It *can* be, depending on the levels. Carpet fitted to gripper rods needs a
vertical surface (usuall a wall or skirting board) just beyond the rod. If
the door frame stands up above floor level - and provides the necessary
vertical surface (it only needs to be a bit higher than the thickness of the
carpet and underlay) - gripper rods are fine.

Otherwise use aluminium (coloured if you wish) carpet edging strip such as
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...82144&ts=62009. This holds
the carpet on (sort of) spikes, and hides the raw edge of the carpet.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
No Joke wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for the input. Fitting gripper rod isn't a problem as the floor
is perfectly level there.
I had a carpet fitted the other day and the fitter never put any gripper rod
at the entrance to the front door and never tacked it either and it has now
started to bulge a bit. When I phoned the shop I was told it wasn't normal
practice to put gripper rod across the entrance to a front door! So I
thought maybe there was a reason?

S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Joke wrote:

Thanks all for the input. Fitting gripper rod isn't a problem as the
floor is perfectly level there.
I had a carpet fitted the other day and the fitter never put any
gripper rod at the entrance to the front door and never tacked it
either and it has now started to bulge a bit. When I phoned the shop
I was told it wasn't normal practice to put gripper rod across the
entrance to a front door! So I thought maybe there was a reason?

S.

There's a reason alright - and that is that they'll make up any old rubbish
to try to justify shoddy work!

What stops you from getting your toe caught under the raw edge of the
carpet, and tripping?

Get them back to do it properly!
--
Cheers,
Roger

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Ordering Carpet for self fitting - size?? Richard Faulkner UK diy 5 April 7th 05 11:25 PM
Carpet installation barry martin Home Repair 1 October 23rd 04 11:25 AM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM