Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default In the clear

It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2015 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim

What engine does it have? When I asked a VW garage about a 1.6tdi Jetta
they did not know.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/10/2015 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim

What engine does it have? When I asked a VW garage about a 1.6tdi Jetta
they did not know.

2.0 tdi. 150 bhp.

No need to ask garage now, just enter your VIN on the VW website.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 17:50:41 +0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim

The 1.6TDI in my 62 reg Octavia and 2015 Yeti will both be recalled,
apparently. They aren't what I'd cal high powered.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim

The 1.6TDI in my 62 reg Octavia and 2015 Yeti will both be recalled,
apparently. They aren't what I'd cal high powered.

Perhaps "higher power/capacity"? Certainly both the Octavia and Yeti are
big cars to be pulled around by a 1.6l diesel. I'm guessing these engines
are running higher boost pressures.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/15 20:20, Tim+ wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
On 07/10/2015 18:50, Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

Tim

What engine does it have? When I asked a VW garage about a 1.6tdi Jetta
they did not know.

2.0 tdi. 150 bhp.

No need to ask garage now, just enter your VIN on the VW website.

Tim

Good to know.

Pity they don't link it to the reg number...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
I don't see the problem. Even removing this software will not make it
produce any less pollution when driven normally.

I've read a few things (and someone on the radio yesterday) said the
fix will reduce the emissions at the cost of a significant reduction
in output power, with speculation that VW are going to have to
compensate owners because it's going to be quite noticable. Some have
suggested not getting theirs fixed. It's not decided what to do about
that in the UK, but it is likely to me met with higher emissions tax
at a minimum, but more likely future MoT failure.

Some discussion that government could claim back excess emission tax
from VW (it has said they won't claim the past excess from owners),
but going forward after the fix is available, that would be down to
the owner.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some have suggested not getting theirs fixed. It's not decided what
to do about that in the UK, but it is likely to me met with higher
emissions tax at a minimum,

The govt have said they won't do that, unless they qualify that as
applying for "fixed" cars only.

but more likely future MoT failure.

It only needs to pass a smoke test, NOx and CO2 are not measured.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the emission
hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved with the
design of such things knew it was a fraud.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I don't see the problem. Even removing this software will not make it
produce any less pollution when driven normally.

It will if it forces it into emission passing mode only. Which is the
obvious thing to allow.

What I'd guess will happen is VW will have to fit the extra hardware to
give the same performance while passing the emissions test. Which won't be
cheap or quick.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some have suggested not getting theirs fixed. It's not decided what
to do about that in the UK, but it is likely to me met with higher
emissions tax at a minimum,

The govt have said they won't do that, unless they qualify that as
applying for "fixed" cars only.

but more likely future MoT failure.

It only needs to pass a smoke test, NOx and CO2 are not measured.

I'd hope this will change - and quickly. Since they do measure emissions
on petrol cars.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some have suggested not getting theirs fixed. It's not decided what
to do about that in the UK, but it is likely to me met with higher
emissions tax at a minimum,

The govt have said they won't do that, unless they qualify that as
applying for "fixed" cars only.

but more likely future MoT failure.

It only needs to pass a smoke test, NOx and CO2 are not measured.

I'd hope this will change - and quickly. Since they do measure emissions
on petrol cars.

You want to pay another £10 for your MOT test??

CO2 is preferable to any other gas, so not sure why you want to measure it?

CO is measured, and is a good indication of burn quality/mixture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
It only needs to pass a smoke test, NOx and CO2 are not measured.

I'd hope this will change - and quickly. Since they do measure
emissions on petrol cars.

You want to pay another £10 for your MOT test??

Why is it going to cost more to test for hydrocarbons etc on a diesel than
on a petrol?

CO2 is preferable to any other gas, so not sure why you want to measure
it?

I don't.

CO is measured, and is a good indication of burn quality/mixture.

Both CO and hydrocarbons are measured on a petrol engine.

Not so on a diesel. Only a smoke test.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

Be a pedantic ****** if you like, but you know full well what I meant. It
is not subject to a recall.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the emission
hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved with the
design of such things knew it was a fraud.

I'm sure that's true of the ones being recalled. The fact that no "cheat"
software was used in our car may indicate that it wasn't needed to pass the
emissions tests.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

Be a pedantic ****** if you like, but you know full well what I meant. It
is not subject to a recall.

Is it yet certain if any sold in the UK will have a recall?

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the
emission hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved
with the design of such things knew it was a fraud.

I'm sure that's true of the ones being recalled. The fact that no
"cheat" software was used in our car may indicate that it wasn't needed
to pass the emissions tests.

The US tests are different to the UK ones. And the only test a used UK
diesel has to pass at MOT is basically a smoke test.

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 18:40:20 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is it yet certain if any sold in the UK will have a recall?

Yes, 1.2m of 'em across the brands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

Be a pedantic ****** if you like, but you know full well what I meant. It
is not subject to a recall.

Is it yet certain if any sold in the UK will have a recall?

Others in this group (with 1.6l) engines have had information that their
cars need work.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the
emission hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved
with the design of such things knew it was a fraud.

I'm sure that's true of the ones being recalled. The fact that no
"cheat" software was used in our car may indicate that it wasn't needed
to pass the emissions tests.

The US tests are different to the UK ones. And the only test a used UK
diesel has to pass at MOT is basically a smoke test.

Um, no idea what point you're trying to make. My car isn't being recalled.
Presumably this means it passed the tests it was required to pass for a
UK/EU market without needing any cheat software. MOT tests have nothing to
do with this.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Tim+ wrote

It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

It might do, they don’t sell it in America and there may well be a reason
for that.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's
the higher powered variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the
emission hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers
involved with the design of such things knew it was a fraud.

It isn't a fraud with the range and fuel economy it gets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

I don't see the problem. Even removing this software will not
make it produce any less pollution when driven normally.

It will if it forces it into emission passing mode only.
Which is the obvious thing to allow.

What I'd guess will happen is VW will have to fit
the extra hardware to give the same performance
while passing the emissions test.

Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

Which won't be cheap or quick.

Not that slow with 11M being done in a year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message ...

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Neither does he.

My car isn't being recalled.
Presumably this means it passed the tests it was required to pass for a
UK/EU market without needing any cheat software. MOT tests have nothing to
do with this.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
It would seem that our 13 reg Golf tdi Bluemotion is in the clear.

You mean it matches its test results on the road? Somehow, I doubt it.

Be a pedantic ****** if you like, but you know full well what I meant. It
is not subject to a recall.

Is it yet certain if any sold in the UK will have a recall?

Yes, VW have said that. They wouldn’t have the system where
you can enter the VIN and see if yours if affected otherwise,
they'd just say that none sold in Britain are affected.

A bit surprised by that to be honest. Maybe it's the higher powered
variants that are affected?

It is basically a small diesel with plenty power, but without the
emission hardware others needed. Which is why many engineers involved
with the design of such things knew it was a fraud.

I'm sure that's true of the ones being recalled. The fact that no
"cheat" software was used in our car may indicate that it wasn't needed
to pass the emissions tests.

The US tests are different to the UK ones.

Yes, but not all that different on the NOx levels.

And the only test a used UK diesel has
to pass at MOT is basically a smoke test.

Currently. That may well change if plenty choose to ignore the recall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

From what I'm told it would change the performance from good to poor.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

From what I'm told it would change the performance from good to poor.

I'm not aware that anyone has been *told* anything. Just a lot of guesswork
going on. I'm sure that there will be a performance/fuel consumption hit
but nobody knows the magnitude of it.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

From what I'm told it would change the performance from good to poor.

Time will tell. I find it hard to believe that very many
will get their cars done if that is correct and that will
be one hell of a problem for VW and the authoritys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

From what I'm told it would change the performance from good to poor.

I'm not aware that anyone has been *told* anything. Just a lot of
guesswork going on. I'm sure that there will be a performance/fuel
consumption hit but nobody knows the magnitude of it.

Was judging by what was said about other similar sized diesels without the
proper hardware for good emissions and a high power output. Basically, you
don't get owt for nowt.

--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Tim+ wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

Or wear the fact that there is some performance
loss that will only be noticed by the worst hoons.

From what I'm told it would change the performance from good to poor.

I'm not aware that anyone has been *told* anything. Just a lot of
guesswork going on. I'm sure that there will be a performance/fuel
consumption hit but nobody knows the magnitude of it.

Was judging by what was said about other similar sized
diesels without the proper hardware for good emissions and
a high power output. Basically, you don't get owt for nowt.

Doesn’t explain why some VW diesels are not up for recall.

It's all become clear now geoff UK diy 10 December 26th 11 02:18 AM
Clear Vu? Tony Hwang Home Repair 3 September 22nd 10 06:29 PM
Sorry I'm not being clear about this!! Skype_man Electronics Repair 0 November 1st 05 05:52 AM
Ozone generator to clear mold, will it clear termites too? Miki Home Ownership 2 January 8th 05 01:08 PM
draining CH after Fernox Restorer - how clear is clear? dave @ stejonda UK diy 5 June 27th 04 09:28 AM