Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very small light bulb for old gas street lamp

This article has persuaded me that i don't need a large globe, i need three
very small ones to emulate the original look and feel of when they were in
use originally -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the same
quality of warm light as gas does... then i can group them together like in
those
lamps in that article, i.e. in the top part of the lamp.

Thanks again peeps,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Mon, 5 Oct 2015 17:21:07 +0100, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:

This article has persuaded me that i don't need a large globe, i need three
very small ones to emulate the original look and feel of when they were in
use originally -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the
same
quality of warm light as gas does... then i can group them together like in
those
lamps in that article, i.e. in the top part of the lamp.

Thanks again peeps,

Steve

You should read this www.lumileds.com/uploads/67/CSF04-pdf
They reckon old gas lamps had a colour temperature of less than 2900K
best matched by warm-white LED's, and in particular LUXEON Rebel LEDs
from Philips Lumileds, in a 48 LED module delivering 2000 lumens,
which best matched the light intensity. I'll let you find what they
recommend, probably somewhere in this list of 343 hits when searching
for Rebel on the FUTURE site http://tinyurl.com/oq77bak

--

Chris

Thanks Chris, very helpful.

Cheers

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Sandman wrote:
You should read this www.lumileds.com/uploads/67/CSF04-pdf
They reckon old gas lamps had a colour temperature of less than 2900K
best matched by warm-white LED's, and in particular LUXEON Rebel LEDs
from Philips Lumileds, in a 48 LED module delivering 2000 lumens,
which best matched the light intensity. I'll let you find what they
recommend, probably somewhere in this list of 343 hits when searching
for Rebel on the FUTURE site http://tinyurl.com/oq77bak

That's very odd. I'd always thought gas lamps using a mantel had a colour
temperature towards the cool end of the spectrum.

We had a street one outside our house when I were a kid. And it looked
rather whiter than the electric lights indoors.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We had a gas lamp in our caravan back in the day. We eventually replaced it
with a battery operated daylight light. However the gas lamp did apparently
change its colour with brightness, yes, it was dimmable!
It seemed to go a kind of yellow green colour when dimmed.
The main reason we changed was not safety as such but the condensation it
caused.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 October 2015 17:21:14 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
This article has persuaded me that i don't need a large globe, i need three
very small ones to emulate the original look and feel of when they were in
use originally -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

So, now looking for three small but very bright bulbs that give out the same
quality of warm light as gas does... then i can group them together like in
those
lamps in that article, i.e. in the top part of the lamp.

Thanks again peeps,

Steve

It's years since I used gaslight, but I don't remember it being warm, other than literally. More a slight green cast to it. Given other people's comments I daresay the compounds on the mantles varied, and thus the light produced did too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have a gas mantle lamp in the garage. Comparing it with the
fluorescents nearby, it's probably about 3400k.

I would use 3 x LED golfballs to mimick mantles if I was refitting.
Poundland often get 3W ones in (although they run out very queckly,
so you might have to recheck periodically). I've not had any of
these fail yet.

I notice some of the gaslamps in Old Palace Yard (along the outside
of Palace of Westminster) have been refitted with inverted LED
candle bulbs, although golf balls would have been more authentic.

--
Andrew Gabriel