Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large light bulb for very old street lamp

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:00:43 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.

That rules out all lightbulbs. Where are you willing to compromise?

It looks a bit like this-
http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG
But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!
Any suggestions?

All meet some of your wishes, none meet all

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
"Mr wrote:

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim

I'm not sure BT will be that keen!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:
On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete, with sodium & HID both giving better lpw and better light quality.

HID would be good if you need an excess of light.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 6:00:43 PM UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick any bulb you like in the lampholder and put an LED panel lamp in the lid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:00:43 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.
But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!
Any suggestions?

Make a ginormous filament-effect LED lamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMCS757tA8

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 18:39:00 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Beat me to it, the bulb and fitting in the OPs illustration looks
total crap IMHO.

I'm not sure BT will be that keen!

BT may well take a very dim view of you bolting something to their
pole and presumably feeding it with mains?

*All* the electricity pole mounted street lights around here have
been unilaterally disconnected/removed by the DNO. A few new stand
alone street lights have appeared adjacent to the poles that did have
street lights.

The reason for the removal was the death of a BT engineer working on
BT circuits on a shared pole. Normally the power is at the top a good
bit of separation then the BT stuff but the street lights are mounted
at roughly the same height as BT...

http://www.itv.com/news/border/topic...ty-north-west/

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I cannot see it, but around our way when I came here in1957, the lights were
like ordinary bulbs with a kind of reflector of pieces of mirror that aimed
the light downwards.
I always though back then that the bulbs looked rather small.
So it could be its just the way it is or was.

Brian

Email:

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 18:00:37 +0100
"Mr Sandman" wrote:

Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph
pole in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a
decent amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Back in 1988, I was part of a team working on a project
outside Shanghai. The whole hotel was supplied with 40W bulbs, which
flashed at somewhere between a half and one Hz. One of my compatriots,
John, had less than perfect eyesight, and one weekend, I found the
large shop in downtown Shanghai which sold all sorts of lovely
electrical goodies, many of which would have looked good in a museum
here, but it did have 5.25 inch diskettes. In this place, I found a
150W bulb, it was huge, at least 8 inches long, if not more, and I
carefully carried it home on the bus, and presented it to John at the
communal dinner table, to his great joy. From that day on, it was easy
to see which room was his, the window was lit up "Like the Trocadero".

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:00:43 UTC+1, Mr Sandman wrote:
I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.
But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!
Any suggestions?

Make a ginormous filament-effect LED lamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncMCS757tA8

Owain

Nice, but wont light the area up much will it:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

[...]

Bt dont own this one, i do and it was previously used to carry electricity
to my garage, but now that is supplied under ground so i have power and a
pole and need light over my drive, so...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!

--

Interesting, will look into discharge lamps. Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 07:53:44 +0100, "Mr Sandman"
wrote:

Nice, but wont light the area up much will it:-)

Yebbut - its *LED*
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!

--

Interesting, will look into discharge lamps. Ta

Much as I like Johns suggestion I would suggest you look at LED replacements
for discharge lamps. Instant switch on, lower running costs and no need to
buy any control gear (ballasts etc)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/15 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole in
my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent amount
of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

I'm not sure a large bulb will look right. AFAIR small gas street lamps
had a single mantle. The larger lamps did not use a larger mantle, but
multiple small ones. A modern (German) example can be seen he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:G...n_Rathenow.jpg

But I doubt that it would be a simple matter to convert your lamp to
multiple bulbs.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2015 08:56, ARW wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...s_2/index.html

3300 lumens out of the 50W aught to be adequate!

--

Interesting, will look into discharge lamps. Ta

Much as I like Johns suggestion I would suggest you look at LED
replacements for discharge lamps. Instant switch on, lower running costs
and no need to buy any control gear (ballasts etc)

Did you mean things like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/st...e&st=led%20ges

Or have you found a less ugly looking solution?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

As it was once gas, the 'bulb' (mantle) wouldn't have been very big.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/10/2015 08:56, ARW wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

They all look the same when lit up:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2015 21:04, wrote:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:
On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete, with sodium & HID both giving better lpw and better light quality.

Still readily available and cheap. They were preferred over sodium lamps
because the colour was more like the original gas lamps.

HID would be good if you need an excess of light.

There is probably an LED street lighting lamp that would do the job very
well. It rather depends upon whether the OP is looking for maximum
efficiency or something that is reminiscent of the period lamp.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:
On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:24:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium. There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 October 2015 14:52:57 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
nt:
On Saturday, 3 October 2015 11:24:59 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
nt:
On Friday, 2 October 2015 18:36:58 UTC+1, wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium.

Mercury *ARE* HID lamps.

I mean what are generally known as HID lamps, which use a lot more than mercury in the arc.

There are none.

Prat.

yawn
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium.
There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

eg your brain.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2015 07:57:51 +0100, Mr Sandman wrote:

BT may well take a very dim view of you bolting something to their
pole and presumably feeding it with mains?

Bt dont own this one, i do and it was previously used to carry
electricity to my garage, but now that is supplied under ground so i
have power and a pole and need light over my drive, so...

Ah, wasn't firing on all cylinders last night. Day 3 of a cold and
lungs further irritated by the dust from stacking 800 kg of logs.

Looked at the similar style street lights in twon this evening. They
have a panel at ceiling level below the roof and the fitting is
attached to that with a ridged upturned bowl as difuser around the
bulb which I think is HP sodium. That is they are orange but not the
monochromatic orange of LP sodium. Don't look to bad. B-)

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/victo...lamp-86734.jpg

This arrangement also ensures that the only light heading skywards
has to be reflected at least once. Light pollution is a problem in
many places.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2015 10:53, ARW wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/10/2015 08:56, ARW wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

True, but part of the attraction of an old lamp like that is how it
looks in the day time as well...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nt:
wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or sodium.
There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

eg your brain.

so there are no advantageous apps for mercuries.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in
street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or
sodium.
There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

eg your brain.

so there are no advantageous apps for mercuries.

Pretty good on a like for like swap.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
nal-september.org, Tim+ scribeth thus
"Mr Sandman" wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Stick with gas. A far nicer quality of light. ;-)

Tim

If you look carefully in this screen shot you can see a gaslight they
still have them here in Cambridge. Its down Barrow road which is a
private road hence Google didn't go there. They are very dim at night
but since the council upgraded our lights there're bloody useless too;!.

https://goo.gl/maps/uzfcuP5RRjM2
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/10/2015 10:53, ARW wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/10/2015 08:56, ARW wrote:
"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Indeed, that may be true and it was not my first consideration.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Mr
Sandman escribió:

Any suggestions?

Ebay 121681045210 might do what you want. The listing has a pic of it
installed in a similarly-shaped lantern similar to the one you linked
to.

Supposed to be 200W equivalent, though it's 4000k which might be a bit
too cool. For a period-effect fitting I would think you'd want a warmer
light than that, say 3000k.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2015 18:00, Mr Sandman wrote:
Hi peeps,

I have an old Victorian street lamp i want to hang off a telegraph pole
in my garden. It was gas originally, but i need it to produce a decent
amount of light, be efficient and reliable.

It looks a bit like this-

http://www.englishlampposts.co.uk/me...t_Lanterns.JPG

But is 50cm wide and 80cm tall, i think it needs a bigger bulb!

Any suggestions?

Ta

Steve

Is it your pole? BT, if it is theirs, won't be impressed.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote:
[...]

Gas is still in use in parts of London

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ckens-day.html

LED filament lamp for looks and pile of LEDs in a louvred compartment in the roof of the lantern for actual light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

High pressure mercury vapour lamps were a common replacement in
street
lighting gas lanterns.

but are now obsolete,

Funny that. I swapped one last week and had no problems in buying
one.

Name any application in which they have an advantage over HID or
sodium.
There are none.

I have plenty of things at home with obsolete technology in.

eg your brain.

so there are no advantageous apps for mercuries.

Pretty good on a like for like swap.

If you wander round when is now known as the "adventure island" theme
park in Southend at night, its got loads of discharge lighting - in any
run of lamps they quite often alternate high pressure sodium with
mercury... So you get the yellow / pinky cast from the sodium, and a
slight blue / purple tinge from the mercury. The effect is actually
quite pleasing (far more so than either technology on its own would be).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 16:56:32 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 12:00:46 PM UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

If you look carefully in this screen shot you can see a gaslight they
still have them here in Cambridge. Its down Barrow road which is a
private road hence Google didn't go there. They are very dim at night
but since the council upgraded our lights there're bloody useless too;!.

https://goo.gl/maps/uzfcuP5RRjM2
--
Tony Sayer

Gas is still in use in parts of London

As does the settlement of Throop on the edge of Bournemouth which has
nearly thirty of them still in use, in the touristy part of the town
they would look reasonably at home but Throop is well off the Tourist
bit and is a village that over the years has become a dormitory estate
for Bournemouth.
Apparently the place was "forgotten" when the rest of the town was
converted and the gas lamps remained untouched for so long they are
now listed and must stay. Its not as if the borough would have had
trouble getting electric to the place years ago, despite its rural
looks even back in the 30's enough people lived there that it was
worth running the Trolley Bus wires to it.
https://goo.gl/maps/TdqDZ8ZHXPC2

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John
Rumm escribió:

in any
run of lamps they quite often alternate high pressure sodium with
mercury... So you get the yellow / pinky cast from the sodium, and a
slight blue / purple tinge from the mercury. The effect is actually
quite pleasing

Yes, I've seen that in large buildings like stadiums and sports centres.
It works well.

--
(\_/)

street lamp ballast Fred UK diy 17 October 19th 12 01:38 AM
Product Review 108 LED 7W Bulb E27 Corn Lamp 110V/220V CoolWhite Lighting Light Energy Saving... Bob_Villa Home Repair 1 March 23rd 12 02:24 AM
Product Review 108 LED 7W Bulb E27 Corn Lamp 110V/220V Cool WhiteLighting Light Energy Saving... N8N Home Repair 2 March 23rd 12 01:17 AM
replacing lamp socket (that light bulb screws into): brass or silver goes to wide-blade? David Combs Home Repair 3 August 1st 10 03:06 PM
Pool light bulb any different than regular light bulb? Pond Scum Home Repair 2 September 3rd 07 04:33 AM