Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plasic adhesives for laptop repair

Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

Would a thin bead of clear silicone do the job?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim w" wrote in message
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click the
two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to hold
them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

A bit of White Tack. Comes off okay and hold okay.
Dead cheap from a Poundshop ............. or many other places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

"Tim w" wrote in message
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click the
two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to hold
them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

A bit of White Tack. Comes off okay and hold okay.

Dead cheap from a Poundshop.

So a quid then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2015 8:56 PM, Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

If it is for home use and you are not too bothered about looks, how
about using a heated blade to put narrow slots in both side of casing
and make some spring-metal or, plastic clips? OTT, maybe?

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do we know what type of plastic it is?

One needs to be careful in case anything used is a solvent.

Even good old UhU might just be enough, but it really depends on how much
surface can be coated and held together.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tim w" wrote in message
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click the
two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to hold
them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

Can't you use a 'dab' or two of the super glue which works with plastic. If
you restrict it to the visible join and only use a few 'dabs', you can
generally split the join with a scalpel.

Laptops are a pain to work on. Compare even the better ones with a MacBook
and you will see how it should be done. Very easy to take apart etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Double sided tape?
This crowd:-
http://www.essentraspecialitytapes.c...FSGc2wodMt0OYw
will do free samples (enough?) maybe a peruse of their site will start
ideas flowing?

Anecdote :- Sure the bezel on an old laptop, that I replaced the screen
on, was held on by double sided tape. Sure I didn't bother replacing it
as the bezel held well enough with the old tape. I feel I should have
replaced the tape as the bezel doesn't adhere as well as it did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

My instinct is to avoid superglue for this sort of thing. It condenses
on optical components when it cures and invariably gets hazes something.

I'd probably use a spot or two of clear epoxy. Placed somewhere I could
cut with a razor blade if needed.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 23:08:35 +0100, RayL12 wrote:

[...]

Drill holes, and tie-wrap 'em together...

This kind of thing...
http://i0.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-c...0/Zip-Tied.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 20:56:07 +0100, Tim w wrote:

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

A SMALL amount of Silicone Sealant. Has enough grab to hold the thing
in place as long as the bezel has a weight on it while it sets.
However, it can still be levered away if needed. Note emphasis on
small amount - you don't want glop coming out everywhere, a few dabs
will usually do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Double sided tape?
This crowd:-
http://www.essentraspecialitytapes.c...FSGc2wodMt0OYw
will do free samples (enough?) maybe a peruse of their site will start
ideas flowing?

The screens on many phones and tablets are held in with this stuff:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1...ive-300lse.pdf

Just search for '300LSE' - there's strips on ebay, amazon etc. You just cut
to shape and apply. It is quite grippy - enough to hold the whole screen in
- but can be separated with a heat gun.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

I find that ordinary electrical tape applied under tension normally
provides a permanent but removable repair in favourable geometries like
this. Apply an excess length and then trim neatly with a craft or
Stanley knife. For black or white laptops you can even match the tape
colour to the machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2015 10:32 AM, Adrian wrote:
[...]

LMAO. Yeah, just the thing.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php
Join Now! Be a part of people power.

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2015 08:28, Brian Reay wrote:
Tim w wrote:
[...]

If you are going to suggest following an Apple approach, maybe stick a
magnetised strip on one side and a magnetic strip the other - allowing
the magnetic forces to hold it together. (And use pentalobe screws,
ribbon connectors which require force along the length, temperature
sensors that don't work like any others in existence,... )

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2015 20:56, Tim w wrote:
Replaced a broken screen on a laptop. The only problem has been that in
separating the black plastic lid back from the black plastic lid inner
bezel I broke a number of tiny plastic tabs off so that I can't click
the two bits together again properly. They meet but there is nothing to
hold them together in one corner. Its an Acer Aspire V3 if it makes any
difference.

Atm some sellotape is doing the job but I am thinking I might glue the
join with superglue which will make it impossible ever to separate the
parts again. Is there a more appropriate adhesive? One which would hold
well enough but might be soft enough to separate at a later date?

Tim W

Thanks for all the replies. On reflection I am going to superglue
several dots.

Tim W