Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default For nuclear fans...

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
And someone I know from that soggy little frigid island organised
a minibus and drove it himself, with ag workers in the 60s, working
on the place that his parents owned.

Someone you knew in the 60s sums up your knowledge of the UK.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , tony sayer
writes

Its getting worse as in that area Astra Zenica are due to open there
sometime next year and I believe that they have the best part of a
thousand staff coming and the new Papworth hospital is moving there as
well so an awful shortage of accommodation looms..

Hence Bidwells et al application for new housing at Linton!

Where's that gonna get built? Local plan was infill only, IIRC.

See Roland P.

Otherwise up to 78 dwellings S/1963/15/OL off Bartlow Road. Up to 50
dwellings S/1969/15/OL Horseheath Road.

The second one is a fudge with Ely diocese to allow the rest of the
space to be used as allotments. This is a continuation of a long running
saga where the PC ****ed about over acquiring 20 acres I own for
allotments and public open space.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes - when you don't have enough nurses, what's needed is a nice
large
well paid committee to investigate why.

That's the public sector way all right.

It's certainly the way a Tory government runs the private sector.
It wouldn't do to run it in an efficient way.

Corse Labour stunned everyone when they did things so efficiently, eh ?

Must be why the voters gave them the bums rush at the ballot box.

And the Tories hardly won a landslide majority.

Labour got flushed where they belong so comprehensively
that even that fool Miliband hanged himself politically.

Which suggests the electorate isn't as keen on them as ******s like you
suggest.

Must be why that fool Miliband hanged himself politically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some lefty**** union bludger claiming to be
Dave Plowman (News)
wrote just the puerile **** you'd expect from a
lefty**** union bludger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:18:26 on
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
Hence Bidwells et al application for new housing at Linton!

Where's that gonna get built? Local plan was infill only, IIRC.

Dunno which one it is, but plenty to choose from he

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www....ocuments/Appen
dix%207i%20-%20Linton%20Village%20Sites.pdf

And so the conclusion is that the baddies when it comes to nurse
shortages at Addenbrookes are the local Nimbys.

Well that lot would more than double the size of Linton. Perhaps the
residents like it the way it is now.

Then the clinic would need expanding, not to mention schools, and the
A1307 would need to be dualled all the way to Addenbrooke's

The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all the
biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere more
welcoming.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 12:31:14 on
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
Hence Bidwells et al application for new housing at Linton!

Where's that gonna get built? Local plan was infill only, IIRC.

Dunno which one it is, but plenty to choose from he

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www....ocuments/Appen
dix%207i%20-%20Linton%20Village%20Sites.pdf

And so the conclusion is that the baddies when it comes to nurse
shortages at Addenbrookes are the local Nimbys.

Well that lot would more than double the size of Linton. Perhaps the
residents like it the way it is now.

Then the clinic would need expanding, not to mention schools, and the
A1307 would need to be dualled all the way to Addenbrooke's

The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all the
biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere more
welcoming.

Funny, I thought I was talking about Linton, not Cambridge.

The funny thing is, I doubt you'd support the view that with Cambridge
full people should "go away" to places like Linton (in your view
apparently "not Cambridge"). But if I've got the wrong end of the stick,
please enlighten me.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
scribeth thus
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article ,
newshound scribeth thus
On 05/10/2015 15:41, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
14:34:19 on Mon, 5 Oct 2015, newshound
remarked:
Why won't nurses in Cambridge accept a greater than half hour commute?

Unlike London, little suitable public transport? Maybe an hour a day
by car is financially beyond many of them, even with car sharing.

So spend half an hour on a bus.

I am more familiar with the other place than Cambridge but, as Dave
points out, buses were never in my experience particularly shift-friendly.

The fact is that Cambridge is a nice city, and who would not want to
work at a world-class hospital like Addenbrooks. But the main reason
they are in deep poo seems to be because they can't get the nursing
staff they need. Presumably, because nurses are making market decisions
and chosing to work elsewhere.

Its getting worse as in that area Astra Zenica are due to open there
sometime next year and I believe that they have the best part of a
thousand staff coming and the new Papworth hospital is moving there as
well so an awful shortage of accommodation looms..

Hence Bidwells et al application for new housing at Linton!

God help anyone contemplating buying in the area. Still there is money
around theres a row of small workers terraced houses nearby here and
outside one is a new range rover and the other an Aston martin.

Perhaps the guided bus should be extended down to Haverhill.

Wot!, After the problems with the St Ives one, you just squire;!.

Then there's that land west of Addenbrooke's, just south of the Long Rd
Sixth Form College. Looks ripe to me!

Thats being built on already most all of that area. There is no more
land there to be built on;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Then there's that land west of Addenbrooke's, just south of the Long Rd
Sixth Form College. Looks ripe to me!

Thats being built on already most all of that area. There is no more
land there to be built on;!..

I thought that round here. Hasn't stopped them, though. Have they started
knocking down perfectly good houses etc and re-building to a greater
density? And how are you for basement building? ;-)

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 11:04:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Roland Perry wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Running a few minibus shuttles for nursing staff living ten miles away
in a village, pales into insignificance alongside that kind of thing.

Why can't those who live in that village organise that for themselves ?

Back when I was student some colleagues who were deployed on
teaching practice organised their own car-share (in the opposite
direction from a residential college to a handful of distant schools).

And someone I know from that soggy little frigid island
organised a minibus and drove it himself, with ag workers
in the 60s, working on the place that his parents owned.

Things were differnt 55 years ago,

Not on that they weren't. Anyone can do that today, and plenty do too.

Plenty don't. That's why buses and trains are popular.

The same thing happens today with medical students who are sent to
get experience in hospitals spread around the vicinity of their medical
school - not every one of which is blessed with good public transport.

And no reason why whose in Cambridge can't do that now if public
transport isn't organised well enough to suit them, using a mini bus
if there are too many involved for car share to be viable.

Trouble is that it is not normally viable.

BULL****.

One of the few subjects you are an expert on.
You really think the nurses at any hospital all live on some sort of route
where a mini bus can drop you off and pick you up after you're shift(s).

The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

Then there's where will you get this minibus

You could get real radical and buy one.

Who will buy one. They aren;t cheap and why would one person buy a minibus to transport others ?

and who's driving,

Anyone who has a license and can get one.

where to park is another problem,

Nope, same place you can park a car.

Where's that then, no idea have you.

My manager just turned up, nearly 2 hours late due to the traffic
and rain. Taveling by car, 15mins trying to find a parking space.
Imagine 10 nurses all truning up even 15mins late .

Trivially avoidable by arriving in plenty of time to
find somewhere to park, just like those with cars do.

They don't have enough places for those employed.
Our departments car park is a building site at the moment, so even arriving on time means you don't get a space, so you hope that there's on elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
07:21:36 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, whisky-dave
remarked:
The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

With a thousand nurses o the payroll, what are the odds that fewer than
a dozen live within ten minutes of each other?
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:47:07 on
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all the
biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere more
welcoming.

Funny, I thought I was talking about Linton, not Cambridge.

The funny thing is, I doubt you'd support the view that with Cambridge
full people should "go away" to places like Linton (in your view
apparently "not Cambridge"). But if I've got the wrong end of the
stick, please enlighten me.

Linton is nearly 12 miles from Cambridge.

So somewhere you'd support people "going away to" from Cambridge?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
One of the few subjects you are an expert on. You really think the
nurses at any hospital all live on some sort of route where a mini bus
can drop you off and pick you up after you're shift(s).

He probably thinks all nurses are 16 and only going to work until they
find a nice doctor husband to look after them.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:47:07
on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all
the biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere
more welcoming.

Funny, I thought I was talking about Linton, not Cambridge.

The funny thing is, I doubt you'd support the view that with
Cambridge full people should "go away" to places like Linton (in
your view apparently "not Cambridge"). But if I've got the wrong end
of the stick, please enlighten me.

Linton is nearly 12 miles from Cambridge.

So somewhere you'd support people "going away to" from Cambridge?

What makes you think I give a monkey's either way. You should be asking
Mr Lamb for his views, as he lives in that neck of the woods.

Within 40 miles or so:-)

Land there is a family legacy.

Linton has its own high tech patch as well as the Institute for Welding.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Then there's that land west of Addenbrooke's, just south of the Long Rd
Sixth Form College. Looks ripe to me!

Thats being built on already most all of that area. There is no more
land there to be built on;!..

I thought that round here. Hasn't stopped them, though. Have they started
knocking down perfectly good houses etc and re-building to a greater
density? And how are you for basement building? ;-)

What's wrong with Bourn Airfield? Lots of space the-) Planners liked
the idea.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:43:05 on
Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all
the biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere
more welcoming.

Funny, I thought I was talking about Linton, not Cambridge.

The funny thing is, I doubt you'd support the view that with
Cambridge full people should "go away" to places like Linton (in
your view apparently "not Cambridge"). But if I've got the wrong end
of the stick, please enlighten me.

Linton is nearly 12 miles from Cambridge.

So somewhere you'd support people "going away to" from Cambridge?

What makes you think I give a monkey's either way.

The fact you keep replying to postings here.

--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2015 14:34, newshound wrote:
On 05/10/2015 13:44, Roland Perry wrote:
Why won't nurses in Cambridge accept a greater than half hour commute?

Unlike London, little suitable public transport? Maybe an hour a day by
car is financially beyond many of them, even with car sharing.

St Ives is a lot cheaper than Cambridge, and straight along the busway.
I did when I first moved here.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2015 10:19, Roland Perry wrote:
Dunno which one it is, but plenty to choose from he

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www....ocuments/Appen
dix%207i%20-%20Linton%20Village%20Sites.pdf

And so the conclusion is that the baddies when it comes to nurse
shortages at Addenbrookes are the local Nimbys.

A little searching shows me that all except site 152 (36 dwellings,
limited potential) have been rejected.

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Appendix%208%20-%20MRC%20-%20Linton.pdf

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

Back when I was student some colleagues who were deployed on
teaching practice organised their own car-share (in the opposite
direction from a residential college to a handful of distant schools).

And someone I know from that soggy little frigid island
organised a minibus and drove it himself, with ag workers
in the 60s, working on the place that his parents owned.

Things were differnt 55 years ago,

Not on that they weren't. Anyone can do that today, and plenty do too.

Plenty don't. That's why buses and trains are popular.

We're discussing the situation where the buses
and trains aren't viable because they work shifts
which the buses and trains don't work well for.

The same thing happens today with medical students who are sent to
get experience in hospitals spread around the vicinity of their
medical
school - not every one of which is blessed with good public transport.

And no reason why whose in Cambridge can't do that now if public
transport isn't organised well enough to suit them, using a mini bus
if there are too many involved for car share to be viable.

Trouble is that it is not normally viable.

BULL****.

You really think the nurses at any hospital all live on some sort of route
where a mini bus can drop you off and pick you up after you're shift(s).

I know that quite a few of them live in villages around Cambridge
and that there are often enough who work at that particular hospital
for a minibus organised by those in a particular village to be viable.

The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

They don't have to. All you need is a enough in a
particular area to make a particular minibus viable.

One place where I worked did that, organised by the
workplace. The biggest chicken producing operation in
the southern hemisphere just down the road does that too.

No reason why it has to be organised by the workplace,
perfectly possible for the individuals to organise it for
themselves rather than have it organised by their workplace
when they are too stupid to organise it themselves.

Then there's where will you get this minibus

You could get real radical and buy one.

Who will buy one.

Whoever wants to use one like that.

They aren;t cheap

They don't cost any more than a car does.

and why would one person buy a minibus to transport others ?

They can all pay part of the cost.

Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

and who's driving,

Anyone who has a license and can get one.

where to park is another problem,

Nope, same place you can park a car.

Where's that then,

Same place those who use their own car park those.

My manager just turned up, nearly 2 hours late due to the traffic
and rain. Taveling by car, 15mins trying to find a parking space.
Imagine 10 nurses all truning up even 15mins late .

Trivially avoidable by arriving in plenty of time to
find somewhere to park, just like those with cars do.

They don't have enough places for those employed.

That is a lie with the hospital being discussed.

Our departments car park is a building site at the
moment, so even arriving on time means you don't
get a space, so you hope that there's on elsewhere.

Irrelevant to the hospital being discussed.

And with the hospital being discussed, you could
get real radical and encourage those with minibuses
to show up at the village with a number of people
who will be going to that hospital for that shift and
do that using uber or one of the alternatives and
even see some with a clue decide to get a minibus
so that it can be used like that for those who have
enough of a clue to get off their lard arses and not
just demand the hospital organise something like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
whisky-dave wrote

You really think the nurses at any hospital all live
on some sort of route where a mini bus can drop
you off and pick you up after you're shift(s).

He probably thinks all nurses are 16 and only going to work
until they find a nice doctor husband to look after them.

Unlikely given that 3 of my mates are married to them
and they are all still working. One of the mates doesn’t,
he's the one that stays home and looks after the kids,
one of which is a preschooler.

And even someone as stupid as you should have noticed
that those under 16 would not be able to drive a minibus
that they have organised for themselves instead of
demanding the place they work for organises that for them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Yes - when you don't have enough nurses, what's needed is a nice large
well paid committee to investigate why.

That's the public sector way all right.

It's certainly the way a Tory government runs the private sector. It
wouldn't do to run it in an efficient way.

Surely by definition the private sector is not run by any government.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 11:18:26
on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
Hence Bidwells et al application for new housing at Linton!

Where's that gonna get built? Local plan was infill only, IIRC.

Dunno which one it is, but plenty to choose from he

https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www....ocuments/Appen
dix%207i%20-%20Linton%20Village%20Sites.pdf

And so the conclusion is that the baddies when it comes to nurse
shortages at Addenbrookes are the local Nimbys.

Well that lot would more than double the size of Linton. Perhaps the
residents like it the way it is now.

Then the clinic would need expanding, not to mention schools, and the
A1307 would need to be dualled all the way to Addenbrooke's

The classic "Cambridge is full - go away" rant. It's a pity all the
biotech companies don't take the hint and decamp to somewhere more
welcoming.

Like Alderley Edge?

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 16:40:23 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
07:21:36 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, whisky-dave
remarked:
The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

With a thousand nurses o the payroll, what are the odds that fewer than
a dozen live within ten minutes of each other?
--
Roland Perry

Why don't you show how this is relivent in proving your point.
Maybe you can tell me how many nurses of those 1000 can buy a minivan
on their first months salery, that can pick uop other nurses that have similar shifts and within 10 mins of each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Then there's that land west of Addenbrooke's, just south of the Long Rd
Sixth Form College. Looks ripe to me!

Thats being built on already most all of that area. There is no more
land there to be built on;!..

I thought that round here. Hasn't stopped them, though. Have they started
knocking down perfectly good houses etc and re-building to a greater
density? And how are you for basement building? ;-)

What's wrong with Bourn Airfield? Lots of space the-) Planners liked
the idea.

Yeah it could become Londons next airport, how many runways do yuo think they could put there

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
Yes - when you don't have enough nurses, what's needed is a nice large
well paid committee to investigate why.

That's the public sector way all right.

It's certainly the way a Tory government runs the private sector. It
wouldn't do to run it in an efficient way.

Surely by definition the private sector is not run by any government.
--
bert

I thought it was teh other way around, the private sector run the government.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 6 October 2015 16:40:23 UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
07:21:36 on Tue, 6 Oct 2015, whisky-dave
remarked:
The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is
remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

With a thousand nurses o the payroll, what are the odds that fewer than
a dozen live within ten minutes of each other?
--
Roland Perry

Why don't you show how this is relivent in proving your point.

Too obvious to need that.

Maybe you can tell me how many nurses of those
1000 can buy a minivan on their first months salery,

Doesn't have to be on their first month's wage.

that can pick uop other nurses that have similar
shifts and within 10 mins of each other.

There must be lots like that with a place like Cambridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
02:19:01 on Wed, 7 Oct 2015, whisky-dave
remarked:

The chances of knowing ~10 people that all live in your local area
and all work in the same area at approxamlty the same time is remote.

Wrong with nurses working in the same hospital.

Doesn't mean they all live in the same area.

With a thousand nurses o the payroll, what are the odds that fewer than
a dozen live within ten minutes of each other?
--
Roland Perry

Why don't you show how this is relivent in proving your point.

The relevance is that if there are 1,000 nurses, and only 50
parishes/city wards within half an hour's drive then the average number
per parish or ward is going to be twenty. In practice I think that the
estimate of 50 is way too high for mid-Cambs, and the 1,000 may be on
the low side as they have a total of 8,000 staff.

Maybe you can tell me how many nurses of those 1000 can buy a minivan
on their first months salery,

First you need to tell me how many of the 1000 nurses are *in* their
first week simultaneously. Also, when you move to a new job you
generally don't fund all your startup expenses out of the first pay
packet.

that can pick uop other nurses that have similar shifts and within 10
mins of each other.

Nursing runs on a pretty fixed shift pattern. For example this morning
there will have been shift change at 0745.

The 10 minutes covers any other nurses living in the same parish/ward.

--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
Yes - when you don't have enough nurses, what's needed is a nice
large
well paid committee to investigate why.

That's the public sector way all right.

It's certainly the way a Tory government runs the private sector. It
wouldn't do to run it in an efficient way.

Surely by definition the private sector is not run by any government.

I thought it was teh other way around, the private sector run the
government.

More fool you. Have fun listing even a shred of evidence of that.

Nuclear power harryagain[_2_] UK diy 93 August 24th 14 07:09 PM
OT Nuclear power harry UK diy 72 June 5th 13 06:10 PM
OT New Nuclear harry UK diy 58 March 8th 13 12:14 PM
the UK IS doing something with nuclear power.. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 4 January 9th 13 04:31 PM
Nuclear Venezuela Brian Lawson Metalworking 0 December 24th 10 07:31 PM