Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bets paint stripper to get emulsion off copper

Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

I think you'll be lucky to find any paint stripper that works on anything
these days, outside of industrial stuff. The active ingredient of the old
- which worked just fine - seems to have fallen foul of H&S or whatever.

Had some Nitromors lying around - yonks old - and used it to start
stripping ordinary gloss paint. Which it did beautifully. Ran out and
bought some more. Which didn't touch it at all - despite the high price.

If you do find one which works, let me know. ;-)

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Had some Nitromors lying around - yonks old - and used it to start
stripping ordinary gloss paint. Which it did beautifully. Ran out and
bought some more. Which didn't touch it at all - despite the high price.

If you do find one which works, let me know. ;-)

Probably more than Tim needs ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk//dp/B00J9MGQW6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:47:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Had some Nitromors lying around - yonks old - and used it to start
stripping ordinary gloss paint. Which it did beautifully. Ran out and
bought some more. Which didn't touch it at all - despite the high price.

If you do find one which works, let me know. ;-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201346727847

But for this application I'd try steam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
I think you'll be lucky to find any paint stripper that works on anything
these days, outside of industrial stuff. The active ingredient of the old
- which worked just fine - seems to have fallen foul of H&S or whatever.

Had some Nitromors lying around - yonks old - and used it to start
stripping ordinary gloss paint. Which it did beautifully. Ran out and
bought some more. Which didn't touch it at all - despite the high price.

If you do find one which works, let me know. ;-)

You could just buy the active ingredient of old Nitromors:
http://www.chemicals.co.uk/dichloromethane
(also ebay etc)

At your own risk, read the MSDS, wear PPE, etc.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2015 15:28, Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Swarfega and a bit of time is one way that works fairly well for me. The
paint will soften after about an hour and come off in strips fairly
easily. It works on some gloss paints too.

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Try and avoid scratches too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/15 15:58, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/09/2015 15:28, Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly
enough).

Swarfega and a bit of time is one way that works fairly well for me. The
paint will soften after about an hour and come off in strips fairly
easily. It works on some gloss paints too.

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Try and avoid scratches too.

That's rather interesting! Worth a go.

And yes, I am desperate to avoid scratches

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly
enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a compression
fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to plastic (which
precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Over 40 years ago I qualified as a heating and ventilation engineer.
It was common practice to file gloss paint of copper piping and use a
compression fitting.
Last time I did this was in 1999, somebody had smacked a Yorkshire elbow on
the copper pipe to a fire hose and it was ****ing out.
We used a compression fitting as we were not geared up for soldering. I was
not in plumbing, I was in fire protection and we had to go to B&Q for the
fitting.
I'm sure that if you just sand the emulsion off the copper, a compression
fitting will be fine ------------ bit of PTFE tape just to make sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/15 17:17, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

PTFE on a compression? I'll pass

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

It works very well where there could be doubt about the surface of the
copper.
It worked very well when I had to use a compression fitting on the copper to
the fire hose, after using a file.
Many plumbers do it.

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Sandpaper will not bugger up the pipe!
Or, use steel wool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2015 18:29, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Sandpaper will not bugger up the pipe!
Or, use steel wool.

I have never had a problem cleaning paint off pipes using a combination
of emery cloth (used the way as shown in John's article here [1]),
followed by a polish with fine wire wool. Even when fitting compression
fittings. (common example being cleaning up rad tails prior to fitting TRVs)

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s_to_Microbore

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Sandpaper will not bugger up the pipe!
Or, use steel wool.

I have never had a problem cleaning paint off pipes using a combination
of emery cloth (used the way as shown in John's article here [1]),
followed by a polish with fine wire wool. Even when fitting compression
fittings. (common example being cleaning up rad tails prior to fitting
TRVs)

[1] http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...s_to_Microbore

I was going to say that too!

And, to tackle the hoary myth about PTFE on compression fittings, it is
absolutely fine to put three turns or so on the male threaded portion.
Not for sealing, but to reduce the friction (so that you get more axial
load for a given amount of torque).

Try to avoid letting filaments go into the cones or across the olive,
but *small* amounts even there will not matter: at the pressures
generated in a compression fitting the PTFE will just extrude.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure that if you just sand the emulsion off the copper, a
compression fitting will be fine ------------ bit of PTFE tape just
to make sure.

PTFE on a compression? I'll pass

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Unless you are going to get PTFE under the olive - ie between the olive and
the pipe, then I don't see why PTFE would help. I feel so many people think
it is th esolution to everything - but without a proper side by side
comparison of identical methods (with and without) then you don't know that
it helped. PTFE is for threades joints - a compression uses the threads to
compress the olive and are not part of the sealing process.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
I'm sure that if you just sand the emulsion off the copper, a
compression fitting will be fine ------------ bit of PTFE tape just
to make sure.

PTFE on a compression? I'll pass

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Unless you are going to get PTFE under the olive - ie between the olive and
the pipe, then I don't see why PTFE would help. I feel so many people think
it is th esolution to everything - but without a proper side by side
comparison of identical methods (with and without) then you don't know that
it helped. PTFE is for threades joints - a compression uses the threads to
compress the olive and are not part of the sealing process.

I always use ptfe tape and water pump grease. The joints come
apart easily after 30 years usage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote in
o.uk:

DerbyBorn wrote:
I'm sure that if you just sand the emulsion off the copper, a
compression fitting will be fine ------------ bit of PTFE tape just
to make sure.

PTFE on a compression? I'll pass

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Unless you are going to get PTFE under the olive - ie between the
olive and the pipe, then I don't see why PTFE would help. I feel so
many people think it is th esolution to everything - but without a
proper side by side comparison of identical methods (with and
without) then you don't know that it helped. PTFE is for threades
joints - a compression uses the threads to compress the olive and are
not part of the sealing process.

I always use ptfe tape and water pump grease. The joints come
apart easily after 30 years usage.

The grease is a good idea - except it could lead to overtightning due to
friction being reduced. /Many diy plumbing problems are caused by siezed
parts - a problem so easily avoided if things are lubricated slightly (with
the proviso that you don't apply as much torque to tighten). Threads in
taps are a prime candidate for a bit of grease.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2015 07:53, DerbyBorn wrote:
I'm sure that if you just sand the emulsion off the copper, a
compression fitting will be fine ------------ bit of PTFE tape just
to make sure.

PTFE on a compression? I'll pass

The art here is not to bugger up the pipe!

Unless you are going to get PTFE under the olive - ie between the olive and
the pipe, then I don't see why PTFE would help. I feel so many people think
it is th esolution to everything - but without a proper side by side
comparison of identical methods (with and without) then you don't know that
it helped. PTFE is for threades joints - a compression uses the threads to
compress the olive and are not part of the sealing process.

It helps because it lowers the friction coefficient. So for a given
amount of torque, you get more axial force (which is what makes the
olive seal). It doesn't make much difference on brass fittings, but it
makes more on steel and chrome plated ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 15:28:11 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Tim

Grab the end of the pipe with wire wool in a gloved hand, and work
with a twisting motion. Works for me.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Tim

Grab the end of the pipe with wire wool in a gloved hand, and work
with a twisting motion. Works for me.

Steam cleaning works ok sometimes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2015 15:28, Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Just use a wet plastic scourer and a drop of washing up liquid? Much as
you might use on alight fitting that's caught a splash of paint. I
wouldn't have thought that'd cause scratching deeper than the wire wool
you're going to use anyway . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2015 15:28, Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Some emery cloth strip, followed by wire wool...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2015 17:51, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2015 15:28, Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly
enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Some emery cloth strip, followed by wire wool...

+1 to that - it's how I've always done it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Tim

I've never had problems with sealing after removing paint with
wet-or-dry. Although I do use very fine WOD, and make sure the
scratches, fine as they are, go around the pipe, and not along it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/15 19:13, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
Got to work on an old bit of 15mm copper that's been painted.

Does any paintstripper work on emulsion (I have never tried, oddly
enough).

Can't scratch/sand it off as I need a surface that will take a
compression fitting. Burning off is dicey as it's right up close to
plastic (which precludes a solder joint).

Cheers,

Tim

I've never had problems with sealing after removing paint with
wet-or-dry. Although I do use very fine WOD, and make sure the
scratches, fine as they are, go around the pipe, and not along it.

I was thinking that.

I'll try the swarfega idea - not a lot can go wrong there!

Paint stripper? GMM UK diy 6 June 2nd 12 08:10 PM
Paint stripper Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 22 April 29th 11 11:09 AM
Paint stripper Kipper at sea UK diy 13 August 17th 09 09:35 PM
Best paint stripper? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 August 20th 06 12:15 AM
Paint stripper ben UK diy 19 July 15th 05 12:24 PM