Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best paint stripper?

What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

methylene chloride is the old fashioned tried and true paint stripper.
I have used it many times and it will remove the toughtest paint. It
is wicked dangerous stuff, though and has to be treated with the
greatest respect. Ventilation, long sleeves, rubber gloves, safety
googgles are all musts. but if you want to get the job done this
stuff will do it and it is cheaper than the newer stuff. check this
link for more info:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/423.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Go to an automotive paint store and buy the aircraft paint stripper. We pay
$25 $30 per gallon. We use it to strip paint from vintage travel trailers
which may have up to 10 coats of paint on them. It is not miracle stuff but
it is the best we have used.

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

cm

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get a
finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be doing
a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the identically
labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some orange-colored
citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't do a whole lot of
good either.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lawrence wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

[...]

Stripeeze (same chemical) used to be my favorite, but haven't seen it
for a while. Might be spelled Strypeeze. Eats up rubber gloves pretty
quick. I started using plastic sandwich bags to grip steel wool when
scrubbing down the paint/stripper goop. Stings like the devil when it
gets on skin, but never seemed to do any damage. It will probably get
down to bare metal pretty quick. Work in shade, well ventillated but
not breezy. Got a bit splattered in my eye once, but got it rinsed out
before the pain registered )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

I've use the stuff in a blue can at Wal-Mart but I forget the brand name.
Works great on wood, I've never tried it on metal. It comes with a spray
bottle attached to the gallon can. Spray it on. let sit for 10 minutes and
scrape off. Only a few spots had to be touched up after.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

cm wrote:
Go to an automotive paint store and buy the aircraft paint stripper. We pay
$25 $30 per gallon. We use it to strip paint from vintage travel trailers
which may have up to 10 coats of paint on them. It is not miracle stuff but
it is the best we have used.

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

looked at your website. interesting. looks like what's in the yard of
every 5th house around here.

cm

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get a
finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be doing
a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the identically
labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some orange-colored
citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't do a whole lot of
good either.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Glad you're using stripper. No matter what, work WET with a brush or
sanding. You don't want to throw paint dust into the air/house/yard
when it might be lead-based.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:37:20 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

Perce

The stuff that works best is the stuff that has a strong odor. It is
best to take the piece to be stripped outdoors. Brush on the clear
gel stuff, cover it with plastic wrap, allow it to work for an hour,
and scrap it off. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves, eye protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/19/06 12:03 pm Phisherman wrote:

What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

The stuff that works best is the stuff that has a strong odor. It is
best to take the piece to be stripped outdoors. Brush on the clear
gel stuff, cover it with plastic wrap, allow it to work for an hour,
and scrap it off. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves, eye protection.

I think that one of the problems that it's the outside of a door I am
trying to strip. and the temperature is high (80+), so the stuff tends
to evaporate before it's done the job. I should try covering it with
plastic wrap.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah apply and cover with plastic immediately