Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Best paint stripper?

On 08/19/06 12:03 pm Phisherman wrote:

What's the best paint stripper for a few decades' worth of paint on a
steel door?

The top layer or two peel off the underlying layer in sheets once I get
a finger nail under them, but Bix Original Stripper doesn't seem to be
doing a lot (and it seems to me that it smells different from the
identically labeled stuff I've used before). I also tried some
orange-colored citrus-based stuff that was on clearance, but it doesn't
do a whole lot of good either.

The stuff that works best is the stuff that has a strong odor. It is
best to take the piece to be stripped outdoors. Brush on the clear
gel stuff, cover it with plastic wrap, allow it to work for an hour,
and scrap it off. Wear old clothes, rubber gloves, eye protection.

I think that one of the problems that it's the outside of a door I am
trying to strip. and the temperature is high (80+), so the stuff tends
to evaporate before it's done the job. I should try covering it with
plastic wrap.

Perce