Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Victorian internal door knobs

What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular widget
that goes between the knob and the door? Plate? Rose? I've seen both
terms used. Perhaps plate if wooden and rose if brass?

Any thoughts?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular
widget that goes between the knob and the door? Plate? Rose? I've
seen both terms used. Perhaps plate if wooden and rose if brass?

Any thoughts?

"rosette" has worked for me when shopping online

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Huge
wrote:

Escutcheon?

Yes. Along with the little circular disc that covers the keyhole.
Escutcheon pins are quite handy, too - took me sodding ages to find out
what they were called.

Oh! I knew escutcheon was the term for the keyhole cover, but didn't
realise the bit behind the knob is the same name.

Escutcheon pin? Have not heard that. Would that be the pin (or screw)
that holds the knob on the spindle? Just Googled and no, the pins seem
to be used to hold the escutcheon to the door. I have always used small
brass screws.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin writes
News wrote:
What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular
widget that goes between the knob and the door?

"rosette" has worked for me when shopping online

What clever chaps you all are :-)

Rosette seems to find more results in US than UK, but door + rosette,
plate or rose gets results.

Just trying to make up sets of matching handles and associated hardware
on various doors, and have a goodly stock of spindles, brass knobs,
wooden knobs and even keyhole escutcheons, but not the rose part. I'll
find some now.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 09:54:52 +0100, News
wrote:

What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular widget
that goes between the knob and the door? Plate? Rose? I've seen both
terms used. Perhaps plate if wooden and rose if brass?

Any thoughts?

Escutcheon
noun
1.
a shield or emblem bearing a coat of arms.
2.
a flat piece of metal for protection and often ornamentation, around a
keyhole, door handle, or light switch.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

What is the correct name of the usually brass or wooden circular widget
that goes between the knob and the door?

Escutcheon

a flat piece of metal for protection and often ornamentation, around a
keyhole, door handle, or light switch.

Excellent. Thank you.
--
Graeme

Door latches/locks for unsprung door knobs Michael Kilpatrick UK diy 8 December 21st 09 11:02 PM
Where can I find door knobs like this? Michael Kilpatrick UK diy 7 November 20th 09 07:56 PM
Recessed door knobs Jack Home Repair 25 October 14th 09 02:29 PM
Exterior Door Knobs Silas Home Repair 6 May 5th 07 11:43 PM
door knobs CJT Home Repair 9 November 28th 05 04:13 AM