Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Price of Gas

I know this is OFF topic, to the many helpful hints I have received.

I recently had a discussio with my neighbor, where I noted that gas
in England, Holland, Germany (et al) is a LOT more expensive than the
US.

With many US states now at $2.00/ gallon - what are the comparative
rates overseas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Sep 2015 13:13:59 -0400, joe wrote:

I know this is OFF topic, to the many helpful hints I have received.

I recently had a discussio with my neighbor, where I noted that gas in
England, Holland, Germany (et al) is a LOT more expensive than the US.

With many US states now at $2.00/ gallon - what are the comparative
rates overseas?

By "gas", I presume you mean "petrol"?

Right, first things first... We don't use gallons. We used to, but they
were different gallons to yours. Ours were 4.5 litres, yours are 3.8
liters.

Petrol here is roughly £1.10/litre at the moment = US$1.70, so US$6.45/US
gallon.

A lot of that is tax. 58p/litre, plus 20% VAT. Take those off, and you're
looking at 34p/litre = £1.30/US gallon = US$2 almost exactly. You have a
national average of about 49c/US gallon, 32p or 8.5p/litre. So, yes, your
basic fuel is a little bit cheaper, but that shortfall in tax has to be
made up somehow, unless it doesn't get spent. Overall, you pay a total of
about 31% in tax, we pay about 40%.

I'll leave it to you to decide who gets better value for that...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

joe wrote:

With many US states now at $2.00/ gallon - what are the comparative
rates overseas?

Petrol here is roughly £1.10/litre at the moment = US$1.70, so US$6.45/US
gallon.

Yep, 6.50 USD per US gallon was my fag-packet sum the other day in a
different group.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 6:24:22 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
[...]

We used to get better value when we had few road tolls. Now they are being slowly introduced they get much better value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian put finger to keyboard:

[...]

That seems low...

71c/litre according to
http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

So,
yes, your basic fuel is a little bit cheaper, but that shortfall in tax
has to be made up somehow, unless it doesn't get spent. Overall, you pay
a total of about 31% in tax, we pay about 40%.

I'll leave it to you to decide who gets better value for that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I know this is OFF topic, to the many helpful hints I have received.

I recently had a discussio with my neighbor, where I noted that gas
in England, Holland, Germany (et al) is a LOT more expensive than the
US.

With many US states now at $2.00/ gallon - what are the comparative
rates overseas?

Well, yes. What you save in fuel costs you pay out in health care.

--
*IF A PARSLEY FARMER IS SUED, CAN THEY GARNISH HIS WAGES?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Scrap price vs useable price for I beams David.WE.Roberts UK diy 6 July 16th 13 08:04 PM
Ng price ransley Home Repair 0 May 14th 08 03:24 PM
the price of CLS SoWeezy UK diy 9 May 17th 07 01:05 AM
IC Price Database -- You can query price of 1,147,000 IC Types! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 30th 06 03:46 PM
J&S J32 price anyone? Grumps UK diy 0 August 2nd 05 03:12 PM