Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default the price of CLS

3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before noticing
the price at B&Q Bridgend
I just left the trolley, drove to Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 12:53, "SoWeezy" wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before noticing
the price at B&Q Bridgend
I just left the trolley, drove to Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Will B+Q price match themselves? With the 10% price beater, you'd get
it from Bridgend for £1.60 then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article k,
SoWeezy wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before
noticing the price at B&Q Bridgend I just left the trolley, drove to
Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Is it all the same quality, though? Last time I looked at this size in
Wicks it was all about as straight as the average politician...

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article k,
SoWeezy wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before
noticing the price at B&Q Bridgend I just left the trolley, drove to
Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Is it all the same quality, though? Last time I looked at this size in
Wicks it was all about as straight as the average politician...

As with most of the sheds, the problem is that they take in a delivery
of (say) 100 lengths of CLS, but (say) 10% are banana-shaped. So nobody
buys them. When there are only (say) 25 lengths left, they get another
100 delivered, again with 10% knackered. These add to the 10 already
there, so we now have 20 unusable lengths. Next time there's a
delivery, we'll end up with 30 rubbish lengths left on display, etc etc
- which means that unless someone buys bent stuff, the stock levels
won't go down low enough to trigger a new delivery.

Until someone with enough nous goes and clears out the unsellable
rubbish and starts again...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SoWeezy wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before
noticing the price at B&Q Bridgend
I just left the trolley, drove to Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Is Culverhouse Cross one of the B&Q Warehouse stores? I've noticed their
prices do seem lower than the ordinary B&Q stores. No surprises at the
Jewsons price - why does anyone buy from them?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is Culverhouse Cross one of the B&Q Warehouse stores?

yes, it's a fair bit bigger than Bridgend and always cheaper IME

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-16 18:47:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

SoWeezy wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before
noticing the price at B&Q Bridgend
I just left the trolley, drove to Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Is Culverhouse Cross one of the B&Q Warehouse stores? I've noticed their
prices do seem lower than the ordinary B&Q stores. No surprises at the
Jewsons price - why does anyone buy from them?

Who said anything about paying list?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-16 18:47:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

SoWeezy wrote:
3x2x8'

B&Q Culverhouse Cross £1.78
B&Q Bridgend £2.18
Jewsons Bridgend £3.63
Wickes Bridgend £1.99

I was seriously cheesed off after loading 40 onto a trolley before
noticing the price at B&Q Bridgend
I just left the trolley, drove to Culverhouse Cross and saved £16

Is Culverhouse Cross one of the B&Q Warehouse stores? I've noticed
their prices do seem lower than the ordinary B&Q stores. No
surprises at the Jewsons price - why does anyone buy from them?

Who said anything about paying list?

So what sort of discount can you get from Jewsons? In the above example it
should be 51% approx to equal B&Q's best.

If they are in the habit of marking up stuff by 100% in order to offer a
'trade discount' of 50% then they are a bunch of cowboys living in the
distant past. The world don't work like that anymore.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 00:01:43 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-05-16 18:47:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

SoWeezy wrote:
[...]

It's called negotiation and needs to be done in the appropriate way and
at the appropriate level.

I actually did quite well with them on one project by going with a
materials list to several timber and builders merchants and telling
them that they were being asked for pricing along with other suppliers.
I also told them that I was expecting good quality materials and that
any crap would be returned. The overall spend was in the region of
£1k5. Among the trade merchants, they weren't the least expensive
- there was one lower - but I wasn't satisfied that the cheapest would
deliver good product.

I also did a sanity check against B&Q and they could have supplied
about 80% of the materials wanted. On that 80%, they were 25% more
expensive than Jewsons. The materials were of good quality and were
delivered on the days agreed without problems.

Following that, one of the area business development managers contacted
me wanting me to set up an account. I'm not really interested in a
monthly credit account but did let them set up a cash one.

There is also a Travis Perkins sawmill place close to me. Normally I
wouldn't use TP for anything much at all, but this place has a good
turnover in constructional timber and delivers good quality materials -
at least it does now after the first delivery that they attempted that
I rejected. We had a "conversation" after that one.

In a different trade, I have done quite well with WF Electrical as a
supplier, again beginning with a project quote.

So I think it really depends on scenario. If one wants to buy
materials piecemeal here and there then places like B&Q serve a
purpose as long as one doesn't mind wasting half an hour each time
sorting through the timber and setting the rubbish to one side. One
can also get a variety of different goods under one roof, so I can see
that it's interesting to be able to do that under some circumstances.

The trade suppliers aren't really looking for that type of business, by
and large and price accordingly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Is it all the same quality, though? Last time I looked at this size in
Wicks it was all about as straight as the average politician...

As with most of the sheds, the problem is that they take in a delivery
of (say) 100 lengths of CLS, but (say) 10% are banana-shaped. So nobody
buys them. When there are only (say) 25 lengths left, they get another
100 delivered, again with 10% knackered. These add to the 10 already
there, so we now have 20 unusable lengths. Next time there's a
delivery, we'll end up with 30 rubbish lengths left on display, etc etc
- which means that unless someone buys bent stuff, the stock levels
won't go down low enough to trigger a new delivery.

Until someone with enough nous goes and clears out the unsellable
rubbish and starts again...

In my case I wanted that size of CLS but didn't need the complete lengths,
as it were, so after a bit of negotiation got what I needed but only
actually paid for the straight parts of the timber. So did my bit for
clearing out the dross. IIRC, they were approx 3 metre lengths with the
end couple of feet only bent, and I got three for the price of one, so
quite a good deal.

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

IC Price Database -- You can query price of 1,147,000 IC Types! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 30th 06 03:46 PM
What would you price it at? D Steck Woodworking 3 October 25th 05 03:03 PM
Average price ben UK diy 0 September 13th 05 04:42 PM
Price of used TS. Patrick Bitton Woodworking 1 March 29th 05 10:25 PM
10% below asking price? MM UK diy 64 October 15th 04 11:41 AM