Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default powerline LAN/WLAN extension

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2015 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house. It works pretty well but you will get various radio Hams along
shortly telling you that this technology is the spawn of the devil.

FWIW I can't see any effect on my RF scanner with or without it. A very
badly designed phone picks up mains hum if held really close to a node.

BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

I'd recommend TP link or similar. BT badged ones likely to be
overpriced. I think these are the descendents of mine:

http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link...-kit-849M.html

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:36:48 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

It works pretty well but you will get various radio Hams along
shortly telling you that this technology is the spawn of the devil.

I think it is worth reading about these claims, and then making up your
own mind. If somebody does indeed come knocking on your door
complaining, you will know what he/she is talking about. If nothing
else, reading the anti-Homeplug website is amusing for the apparent
histrionics of the writers, if only I could find it. Maybe they have
taken it down.

FWIW I can't see any effect on my RF scanner with or without it. A
very badly designed phone picks up mains hum if held really close to
a node.

BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the
mains wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

Also, avoid any extensions with surge suppressors, they can block the
signals. Best to find a wall socket.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:36:48 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house.

Just bung a switch on the end of the cable for the multiple remote
devices. Unless you are streaming lots of things at hefty bit rates
the 100 Mbps "bottle neck" of the cable won't be a problem.

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

The OP isn't clear if the "remote" end will be in the shed. If it is
the shed supply should not be directly connected to any of the house
rings. It should be a seperate supply from the CU. At the very least
it needs to have a RCD in the circuit, which may degrade the HomePlug
signals.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:36:48 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house.

Just bung a switch on the end of the cable for the multiple remote
devices. Unless you are streaming lots of things at hefty bit rates
the 100 Mbps "bottle neck" of the cable won't be a problem.

Gigabit switches are dirt cheap nowadays and the Cat5 will probably
work at 1000Mb/s quite happily.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-18, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:36:48 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house.

Just bung a switch on the end of the cable for the multiple remote
devices. Unless you are streaming lots of things at hefty bit rates
the 100 Mbps "bottle neck" of the cable won't be a problem.

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

The OP isn't clear if the "remote" end will be in the shed. If it is
the shed supply should not be directly connected to any of the house
rings. It should be a seperate supply from the CU. At the very least
it needs to have a RCD in the circuit, which may degrade the HomePlug
signals.

I was planning to put the remote in the dining room (with window
facing the back garden & shed). But even so, it would be on a
different circuit from the "base unit" connected to the router.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:56:45 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

The OP isn't clear if the "remote" end will be in the shed. If it is
the shed supply should not be directly connected to any of the house
rings. It should be a seperate supply from the CU. At the very least it
needs to have a RCD in the circuit, which may degrade the HomePlug
signals.

I was planning to put the remote in the dining room (with window facing
the back garden & shed). But even so, it would be on a different
circuit from the "base unit" connected to the router.

That isn't always a problem.

I have a couple of powerline networking devices talking to each other
quite happily despite being on different rings - there's even a second,
daisy-chained, RCD'd consumer unit in the way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:31:42 +0000 (UTC)
Adrian wrote:

That isn't always a problem.

I have a couple of powerline networking devices talking to each other
quite happily despite being on different rings - there's even a
second, daisy-chained, RCD'd consumer unit in the way.

I had a similar setup, without the daisy-chain, and it worked, as
well. What blocked the Powerline signal was using an extension with
surge suppression. As was warned about in the blurb that came with it.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2015 18:31, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:56:45 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

The OP isn't clear if the "remote" end will be in the shed. If it is
the shed supply should not be directly connected to any of the house
rings. It should be a seperate supply from the CU. At the very least it
needs to have a RCD in the circuit, which may degrade the HomePlug
signals.

I was planning to put the remote in the dining room (with window facing
the back garden & shed). But even so, it would be on a different
circuit from the "base unit" connected to the router.

That isn't always a problem.

I have a couple of powerline networking devices talking to each other
quite happily despite being on different rings - there's even a second,
daisy-chained, RCD'd consumer unit in the way.

The electrical route between mine is:

Unit 1 - MCB -RCD - RCD - Main Switch - Fuse - RCD -MCB - Unit 2

That is through three CUs, It just about works...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:56:45 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was planning to put the remote in the dining room (with window
facing the back garden & shed). But even so, it would be on a
different circuit from the "base unit" connected to the router.

Personally I'd run a cable but then I'm also known to listen to Short
Wave radio... Cables work, are reliable, run faster and don't consume
power.

5 W per end, 10 W 24/7 is 87.6 kWHr/year or about a tenner, few more
pints down the pub...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-20, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:56:45 +0100, Adam Funk wrote:

I was planning to put the remote in the dining room (with window
facing the back garden & shed). But even so, it would be on a
different circuit from the "base unit" connected to the router.

Personally I'd run a cable but then I'm also known to listen to Short
Wave radio... Cables work, are reliable, run faster and don't consume
power.

5 W per end, 10 W 24/7 is 87.6 kWHr/year or about a tenner, few more
pints down the pub...

I'd still need a WAP pulling 5 W (for example) at the back end of the
house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

I'd second that. When I switched to BT fibre, my old router became
redundant. So situated it at the top of the house close to a window and
the signal from that goes nicely to the end of my (not large) garden.

--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:44:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

I'd second that. When I switched to BT fibre, my old router became
redundant. So situated it at the top of the house close to a window and
the signal from that goes nicely to the end of my (not large) garden.

As a true repeater, or just an additional wireless access point?

I would say that comparatively few redundant routers will do the
former, but they all should do the latter.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:44:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

I'd second that. When I switched to BT fibre, my old router became
redundant. So situated it at the top of the house close to a window and
the signal from that goes nicely to the end of my (not large) garden.

As a true repeater, or just an additional wireless access point?

Probably an additional wireless point. You have to select it on the
computer.

I would say that comparatively few redundant routers will do the
former, but they all should do the latter.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2015 21:00, Graham. wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:44:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

I'd second that. When I switched to BT fibre, my old router became
redundant. So situated it at the top of the house close to a window and
the signal from that goes nicely to the end of my (not large) garden.

As a true repeater, or just an additional wireless access point?

I would say that comparatively few redundant routers will do the
former, but they all should do the latter.

Most routers suffer the problem of only having one radio for the wifi
side - hence they halve throughput when acting as a repeater. You need
mimo kit to get round that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-08-18, Martin Brown wrote:

On 18/08/2015 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house. It works pretty well but you will get various radio Hams along
shortly telling you that this technology is the spawn of the devil.

I dunno if there are any ham radio operators in my neighbourhood.
Would they still be identifiable by special antennas on the outsides
of their houses?

FWIW I can't see any effect on my RF scanner with or without it. A very
badly designed phone picks up mains hum if held really close to a node.

BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

Maybe so, depending on the kind of repeater. I guess those keep
things simple by using the same SSID, whereas the kind of kit I've
been looking at would provide a different one --- is that right?

I've read that some (many?) wifi extenders (maybe not true
"repeaters"?) halve the overall wifi bandwidth available from the main
WAP because they use it up relaying onward.

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

I'd recommend TP link or similar. BT badged ones likely to be
overpriced. I think these are the descendents of mine:

http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link...-kit-849M.html

I'll take a look, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:01:29 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2015-08-18, Martin Brown wrote:

On 18/08/2015 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house. It works pretty well but you will get various radio Hams along
shortly telling you that this technology is the spawn of the devil.

I dunno if there are any ham radio operators in my neighbourhood.
Would they still be identifiable by special antennas on the outsides
of their houses?

Are there many still building kit and learning about electronics or do
most simply pass an exam then buy a sophisticated box with Kenwood,
Icom ,Yeasu on the front. If the latter then what is called "Ham
radio" is now a minority Hobby which can't really expect to have
almost exclusive use of parts of the radio spectrum anymore when a
greater number of people will benefit by using it for other purposes.
There was probably an argument in the days when such people were
experimenters and pushing the boundaries of radio communicating with
new developments and techniques but the chance of somebody coming up
with something revolutionary now is fairly unlikely.
Bit of a broad statement and will probably upset some but just as
Reliant 3 wheeler drivers are best treated as they will soon do
something daft along with cars exhibiting a fish symbol on the back
then people who take up amateur radio often show tendencies of OCD.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , damduck-
scribeth thus

On 2015-08-18, Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Theres not that much spectrum located to Amateur radio use and that what
is, is used in the main quite well.

Theres quite a bit spare but it tends to be on frequencies that are not
that much use for mobile phones and such applications.

UK VHF Low band 30 to 80 MHz comes to mind and areas around 136 to 155
odd.

The military have quite a bit around 230 to the upper 300's odd..

There was probably an argument in the days when such people were
experimenters and pushing the boundaries of radio communicating with
new developments and techniques but the chance of somebody coming up
with something revolutionary now is fairly unlikely.

As maybe but it does encourage some to take up engineering subjects
which is perhaps better than mejia studies and the History of f'art

Bit of a broad statement and will probably upset some but just as
Reliant 3 wheeler drivers are best treated as they will soon do
something daft along with cars exhibiting a fish symbol on the back
then people who take up amateur radio often show tendencies of OCD.

G.Harman

--
Tony Sayer

In radio engineering but not on amateur bands;!...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2015-08-18, Martin Brown wrote:

On 18/08/2015 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

I use powerline ethernet to connect streaming devices back to upstairs
partly because I only have one Cat5 cable running the length of the
house. It works pretty well but you will get various radio Hams along
shortly telling you that this technology is the spawn of the devil.

I dunno if there are any ham radio operators in my neighbourhood.
Would they still be identifiable by special antennas on the outsides
of their houses?

Most of them are, but you do need to know something about
antennas to know what the difference between those and normal
TV antennas and CB radio antennas are.

FWIW I can't see any effect on my RF scanner with or without it. A very
badly designed phone picks up mains hum if held really close to a node.

BTW A Wifi repeater might more accurately do what you say you want.
(old redundant routers can often be configured to do this job)

Maybe so, depending on the kind of repeater. I guess those keep
things simple by using the same SSID, whereas the kind of kit I've
been looking at would provide a different one --- is that right?

I did initially set the repeater up using the same SSID and it did work
fine like that for about 6 months but then I found that some of the
devices used by the neighbours didn’t use the higher power point
properly so it was better to have a different SSID to fix that problem.

I've read that some (many?) wifi extenders (maybe not true
"repeaters"?) halve the overall wifi bandwidth available from the main
WAP because they use it up relaying onward.

You have that backwards. The repeaters that receive and
transmit wifi have to halve the wifi bandwidth because
they can't receive and transmit at the same time unless
they do that on different bands.

The extenders which have a cat5 cable to them don’t have
that problem.

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

Provided that they are all on the same ring main it works very well.

I'd recommend TP link or similar. BT badged ones likely to be
overpriced. I think these are the descendents of mine:

http://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link...-kit-849M.html

I'll take a look, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:12:44 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

I use powerline all over the house and just used an old router as a
secondary wifi spot.(old cottage = thick walls)

members. Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of results?

Yes, I allow two of my neighbours to use my wifi that
way over a much bigger distance than your back garden.

I use a Medion P85019 (MD 86977) that Aldi sells periodically
and have it powered on a long extension cord from my house
with it under a big plastic bucket half way down the back yard
of the neighbour's yard that back onto mine. I use it in wifi
repeater mode which halves the thruput, but it can also be
used in access point mode with a CAT5 cable to my router
which would allow it to run at full speed. I don’t do that because
there is more risk of a lightning strike with that approach
and they don’t care about the lower speed they get.

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over
the mains wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

That approach can be more tricky if there
is more than one phase in the house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 06:14:17 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

That approach can be more tricky if there
is more than one phase in the house.

Very unlikely in a standard UK home.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

H obviously does not have close neighbours trying to use short wave radios
then.
These devices, in many peoples oppinions should be banned in their current
form. After all mainswiring is not very good at lossless movement of rf
signals so the devices tend to use a high power to get it through, and in
so doing radiate basically from medium wave op to 30 mhz of nasty spiky
hash, ticking noises and buzzes all over the close by neighbourhood.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Adam Funk" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:31:59 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

H obviously does not have close neighbours trying to use short wave
radios then.

I idly wonder how many people do, relative to the number using powerline
networking.

These devices, in many peoples oppinions should be banned in their
current form.

"Many" is stretching it. And just look at the websites supporting those
people's case - whether they have a case or not, they really don't help
their position one bit by coming over as shrill conspiracy theorist loons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:31:59 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

H obviously does not have close neighbours trying to use short wave
radios then.

I idly wonder how many people do, relative to the number using powerline
networking.

My thoughts too. The percentage of folk using short wave radios relative to
the number of folk using powerline adaptors must be pretty tiny.

Whilst it may be interfering with some folk's hobby, is it having any
economic effects?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
rnal-september.org, Tim+ scribeth thus
Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:31:59 +0100, Brian-Gaff wrote:

H obviously does not have close neighbours trying to use short wave
radios then.

I idly wonder how many people do, relative to the number using powerline
networking.

My thoughts too. The percentage of folk using short wave radios relative to
the number of folk using powerline adaptors must be pretty tiny.

They can and do affect FM and DAB transmissions, theirs a BBC
engineering report on them if you want it..

Whilst it may be interfering with some folk's hobby, is it having any
economic effects?

Tim

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 14:10:23 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

H obviously does not have close neighbours trying to use short wave
radios then.

I idly wonder how many people do, relative to the number using
powerline networking.

My thoughts too. The percentage of folk using short wave radios relative
to the number of folk using powerline adaptors must be pretty tiny.

They can and do affect FM and DAB transmissions, theirs a BBC
engineering report on them if you want it..

We receive FM quite happily. One radio is right underneath one of the
powerline units, another is pretty much right above the other.

We don't have a DAB receiver, yet, but borrowed a neighbour's recently to
check if it would work here - and got an excellent signal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/15 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

I used it here a bit a few weeks ago. Does it work? Yes. Except when it
doesn't.

Unexplained 2-3minute dropouts.

TP link AV500 stuff.

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/15 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

I used it here a bit a few weeks ago. Does it work? Yes. Except when it
doesn't.

Unexplained 2-3minute dropouts.

TP link AV500 stuff.

Local arc welder kit or similar?
That's the only thing that takes mine down for short bursts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 18/08/15 14:12, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a "BT Mini Wi-Fi 500 Home Hotspot Power
Adapter Kit" to get wifi coverage in the back garden & shed (yes, I
know that's kind of goofy, but it's not just for me). Has anyone else
tried this product or anything similar? If so, with what kind of
results?

(One of my friends in the US uses "powerline" (network over the mains
wiring) stuff & is quite enthusiastic about it.)

I used it here a bit a few weeks ago. Does it work? Yes. Except when it
doesn't.

Unexplained 2-3minute dropouts.

TP link AV500 stuff.

Local arc welder kit or similar?
That's the only thing that takes mine down for short bursts.

A pond pump plugged into the same socket as a wi-fi hotspot adapter of ours
seemed to stop it working. Turning off the pond pump restored the
connection.

Tim

Powerline adapters - any recommendations? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 47 January 20th 14 08:12 PM
Powerline Ethernet and two CUs? T i m UK diy 17 April 6th 10 05:52 PM
powerline safety video Cydrome Leader Metalworking 0 July 22nd 09 02:20 AM
USB wlan ac1951 UK diy 14 December 2nd 07 11:01 AM
Powerline manaen Electronics Repair 6 February 20th 04 07:40 AM