Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CCTV and Android

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view
it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it. The phone version EZeye
does not allow disk search and store, but can store live video footage.
Alternatively how do I manage to control the CCTV from Linux? Zoneminder
doesn't like my Ubuntu 10.4 installations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:38:10 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live camera
footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view it on a
Laptop in IE?

ActiveX isn't the only technology out there - or even the most widely
supported, by a looooooong chalk.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/15 11:57, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:38:10 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live camera
footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view it on a
Laptop in IE?

ActiveX isn't the only technology out there - or even the most widely
supported, by a looooooong chalk.

But it seems to be the one defaulted to my most of the consumer market
IP cam makers.

To address the original question, most camera have either an HTTP(S) or
RTSP video feed URL. The android apps will be using that. ActiveX is
used for configuring the camera and for some of the fancy viewing modes.

It's still an abomination - ActiveX was a crap technology and it needed
to die, preferably before it was born and at the latest, about 10 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But it seems to be the one defaulted to my most of the consumer market
IP cam makers.

/To address the original question, most camera have either an HTTP(S) or
RTSP video feed URL. The android apps will be using that. ActiveX is
used for configuring the camera and for some of the fancy viewing modes.

It's still an abomination - ActiveX was a crap technology and it needed
to die, preferably before it was born and at the latest, about 10 years ago. /Q

Yup.
+1 (again)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to
view it on a Laptop in IE?

Have you tried RTSP with VLC on the laptop? You might need to research
for the correct URL for your camera type, or sometimes an ONVIF manager
can reveal the correct URL directly. If that works you can probably
find an RTSP app for android, can't see why you'd want to record onto a
phone though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to
view it on a Laptop in IE?

Have you tried RTSP with VLC on the laptop? You might need to research
for the correct URL for your camera type, or sometimes an ONVIF manager
can reveal the correct URL directly. If that works you can probably find
an RTSP app for android, can't see why you'd want to record onto a phone
though ...

The URL for the 4 camera system is DDNS and works perfectly. The phone
works perfectly all over the world for a live stream, but can't control
the system when you wish to see what happened in the past. Linux/Android
cannot display the live stream in the browser when using any browser, to
the best of my knowledge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to
view it on a Laptop in IE?

Have you tried RTSP with VLC on the laptop?

The URL for the 4 camera system is DDNS and works perfectly. The phone
works perfectly all over the world for a live stream

Ah OK, I understand now that you were originally asking, how *does* it
work on android, rather than *can* it work on android ... still the
answer is because there'll either be a raw mpeg4 (or similar) stream or
an RTSP source encapsulating a stream, it's just a case of finding the
URL for it ... once found you can probably view it on a PC without
IE/ActiveX. If there's an NVR/DVR between the cameras and the world,
you need info on what make it is ...

http://www.securityhive.com/rtsp/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 August 2015 11:38:44 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view
it on a Laptop in IE?

What's the camera? There might be other streams available from it (that don't require ActiveX).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:38:10 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view
it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it.

A decent IP camera ought to support ONVIF. There are a number of
ONVIF apps on the play store, I have Onvifer for looking at my Hik
Vision camera. Onvifer also does RTSP and MJPEG.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2015 11:38, Capitol wrote:
Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display
live camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to
view it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it. The phone version
EZeye does not allow disk search and store, but can store live video
footage. Alternatively how do I manage to control the CCTV from Linux?
Zoneminder doesn't like my Ubuntu 10.4 installations.

For viewing try VLC
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html
http://www.videolan.org/

Instructions with my Andriod IP camera

VLC Media Player is a cross-platform video player, streaming server and
converter solution in a single package.

For using IP Webcam with VLC media player, in its menu select Media ‡¨
Open Network Stream and enter http://192.168.0.12:8080/video for
streaming video or http://192.168.0.12:8080/audio.wav for streaming audio.

***** 192.168.0.12 ***** is the current IP address of my camera

You can also use VLC Media player for video recording:

Select Media - Convert/Save.
Select Network tab
Enter http://192.168.0.12:8080/video as URL
Click convert/save
Select destination file, format in which you want to save and you're
good to go

The associated software with my IP camera (old android phone with and
app) gives alternative possible viewers.

Andriod
Tinycam monitor
http://www.tinycammonitor.com/

Andriod/iOS
IP cam viewer for Andriod and iOS
http://hit-mob.com/ip-cam-viewer-android/

Cross Platform
VLC (as above)
Zoneminder (which you say doesn't work)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2015 11:38, Capitol wrote:
Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display
live camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to
view it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it. The phone version
EZeye does not allow disk search and store, but can store live video
footage. Alternatively how do I manage to control the CCTV from Linux?
Zoneminder doesn't like my Ubuntu 10.4 installations.

I use iPOLis on Android to monitor Samsung cameras. I'm not sure if it
can handle other manufacturers.

This site:

http://www.soleratec.com/support/rtsp/rtsp_listing

has a good list of RTSP URLs for many cameras.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonno wrote:
Capitol scribbled

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view
it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it. The phone version EZeye
does not allow disk search and store, but can store live video footage.
Alternatively how do I manage to control the CCTV from Linux? Zoneminder
doesn't like my Ubuntu 10.4 installations.

ActiveX is/has being dropped by M$.

Supported until 2020 AIUI. Another good reason for keeping W7/XP?
Firefox needs an extension to cope with ActiveX applications, Seems like
a number of commercial websites used it and don't want to recode.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2015 23:08, Capitol wrote:

Supported until 2020 AIUI. Another good reason for keeping W7/XP?
Firefox needs an extension to cope with ActiveX applications, Seems like
a number of commercial websites used it and don't want to recode.

Large corporations used it for intranetty stuff, and they wouldn't move
to a platform which won't support it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:

Jonno wrote:

ActiveX is/has being dropped by M$.

Supported until 2020 AIUI. Another good reason for keeping W7/XP?

IE11 is still available (alongside Edge) on Win10, so if you *want* to
run ActiveX, you can ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Capitol wrote:

Jonno wrote:

ActiveX is/has being dropped by M$.

Supported until 2020 AIUI. Another good reason for keeping W7/XP?

IE11 is still available (alongside Edge) on Win10, so if you *want* to
run ActiveX, you can ...

If you have a Windows machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2015 23:08, Capitol wrote:
Jonno wrote:
Capitol scribbled

Does anyone know how an Android phone can manage to display live
camera footage when it doesn't have activeX, which is necessary to view
it on a Laptop in IE? Firefox wont display it. The phone version EZeye
does not allow disk search and store, but can store live video footage.
Alternatively how do I manage to control the CCTV from Linux? Zoneminder
doesn't like my Ubuntu 10.4 installations.

ActiveX is/has being dropped by M$.

Supported until 2020 AIUI. Another good reason for keeping W7/XP?

ActiveX is supported on 8,8.1 and 10.