Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default epoxy carbon fibre

Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:28:27 UTC+1, wrote:
Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

Carbon fibre is stronger than glass fibres and makes a much stiffer structure.
Used in aircraft for lightness.
But not worth the added expense for stuff on the ground where weight is not an issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2015 07:32, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:28:27 UTC+1, wrote:
Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

Carbon fibre is stronger than glass fibres and makes a much stiffer structure.
Used in aircraft for lightness.
But not worth the added expense for stuff on the ground where weight is not an issue.

It is finer, though, so might be useful on very small repairs. Not that
I have actually tried it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:44:46 +0100, newshound
wrote:

It is finer, though, so might be useful on very small repairs. Not that
I have actually tried it.

I was thinking of trying

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/carb...e-tow-12k.aspx

to stitch parts together before applying the epoxy, a bit like the way
copper wire was used to hold mirror dinghy together during production.

I'm repairing old discarded saws from 30 years back that have lingered
in the back of the shed when I retired them, just to get the "vintage"
collection going again.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:48:17 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

You _could_ go epoxy carbon, but you'll just add epoxy allergy to your
problems. Wear gloves instead.

Not had a problem with epoxy, just the glass fibre as I fiddle cutting
it to shape. I do wear nitrile gloves. I already use glass fibre cloth
for the main repair and reforming new bits, mat for larger areas.

AJH

Electroplating nickel onto carbon fibre? Mike B Metalworking 5 March 30th 14 01:35 PM
Glue for sticking carbon fibre to alloy RJS[_2_] UK diy 19 October 26th 10 08:36 PM
1/2" dia carbon fibre round ol3_m3 Metalworking 2 March 16th 08 06:41 PM
Fibre Washers John UK diy 13 July 31st 07 06:50 PM
Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? Icepick Woodworking 14 April 23rd 05 04:06 AM