DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   epoxy carbon fibre (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381696-epoxy-carbon-fibre.html)

[email protected] August 6th 15 10:28 PM

epoxy carbon fibre

Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

Jeff Layman[_2_] August 7th 15 07:24 AM

epoxy carbon fibre

On 06/08/15 22:28, wrote:
Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

I have no idea whether or not carbon fibre will give you a better repair
than fibreglass, but I suggest you Google "carbon fibre" and "irritant"
if you think you will solve your itch problems by using it.

--

Jeff

harry August 7th 15 07:32 AM

epoxy carbon fibre

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:28:27 UTC+1, wrote:
Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

Carbon fibre is stronger than glass fibres and makes a much stiffer structure.
Used in aircraft for lightness.
But not worth the added expense for stuff on the ground where weight is not an issue.

newshound August 7th 15 05:44 PM

epoxy carbon fibre

On 07/08/2015 07:32, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:28:27 UTC+1, wrote:
Has anyone experience of using carbon fibre instead of fibreglass for
repairs? It looks like I could darn using the roving.

I often do small repairs on chainsaw bits that have broken and used
fibreglass and epoxy successfully to repair the plastic and aluminium
allow fuel tanks but wonder if using carbon fibre may be any better,
especially as I end up itching all over after playing with the
fibreglass.

Carbon fibre is stronger than glass fibres and makes a much stiffer structure.
Used in aircraft for lightness.
But not worth the added expense for stuff on the ground where weight is not an issue.

It is finer, though, so might be useful on very small repairs. Not that
I have actually tried it.

Vir Campestris August 7th 15 09:48 PM

epoxy carbon fibre

On 06/08/2015 22:28, wrote:
It looks like I could darn using the roving.

You mean the woven stuff? You can get that in glass too.

You _could_ go epoxy carbon, but you'll just add epoxy allergy to your
problems. Wear gloves instead.

Andy

[email protected] August 7th 15 10:09 PM

epoxy carbon fibre

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:44:46 +0100, newshound
wrote:

It is finer, though, so might be useful on very small repairs. Not that
I have actually tried it.

I was thinking of trying

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/carb...e-tow-12k.aspx

to stitch parts together before applying the epoxy, a bit like the way
copper wire was used to hold mirror dinghy together during production.

I'm repairing old discarded saws from 30 years back that have lingered
in the back of the shed when I retired them, just to get the "vintage"
collection going again.

AJH

[email protected] August 7th 15 10:13 PM

epoxy carbon fibre

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 21:48:17 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

You _could_ go epoxy carbon, but you'll just add epoxy allergy to your
problems. Wear gloves instead.

Not had a problem with epoxy, just the glass fibre as I fiddle cutting
it to shape. I do wear nitrile gloves. I already use glass fibre cloth
for the main repair and reforming new bits, mat for larger areas.

AJH