Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doesn't do what it says on the tin

Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this
happening again? [I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to
strip it and start over].
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Roland Perry
escribió:

Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

Were you meant to stir it before starting?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish and it's full of
brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this happening again?
[I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to strip it and start over].
--
Roland Perry

Having just checked an old tin of Ronseal "Natural Shades"
varnish from the shed - by now it's actually a solid lump
that rattles about - it clearly states on the tin

Application

"Stir well before use"

If you've got streaks, it's unlikely you stirred it very well
if at all.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:22:31 on
Tue, 21 Jul 2015, Tim Streater remarked:
Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this
happening again? [I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to
strip it and start over].

You sure it hasn't just brought the grain out?

Yes, it's on top of white paint.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 2:59:19 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this
happening again? [I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to
strip it and start over].
--
Roland Perry

Is it water based ? I refuse to use water based finishes because of this problem. (Except I do use a water based sanding sealer because of its quick drying and easy clean up.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 15:55:55 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, michael adams remarked:

"Stir well before use"

If you've got streaks, it's unlikely you stirred it very well
if at all.

That's a possibility, but why is there anything in the pot that isn't
"clear" in the first place?
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
08:12:30 on Tue, 21 Jul 2015, fred remarked:
Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

Is it water based ?

Apparently not as they want you to clean the brushes with solvent.

I refuse to use water based finishes because of this problem. (Except I
do use a water based sanding sealer because of its quick drying and easy clean up.)

--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...
In message , at 15:55:55 on Tue, 21 Jul 2015, michael adams
remarked:

"Stir well before use"

If you've got streaks, it's unlikely you stirred it very well
if at all.

That's a possibility, but why is there anything in the pot that isn't "clear" in the
first place?
--
Roland Perry

There's a difference between "clear" and "colourless".
The opposite of clear being opaque.

All polyurethane lacquers have a yellow tinge - don't ask me
why. Which on wood usually isn't an issue, as it's not obvious.

From memory for a clear and colourless finish (it always used
to be anyway) necessary to faff about with a two part cellulose
lacquer or similar. Which meant using natural bristle or hair
brushes as the thinners melted synthetic brushes.

When steeping PU lacquer/ varnish brushes in a jar of white spirit
prior to washing them, out you'd eventually get a residue
of brown varnish settled at the bottom of the jar.

Oh, and the instructions actually read "stir well before and
during use". What about yours ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-07-21, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:55:55 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, michael adams remarked:

"Stir well before use"

If you've got streaks, it's unlikely you stirred it very well
if at all.

That's a possibility, but why is there anything in the pot that isn't
"clear" in the first place?

I've had this problem with polyurethane & similar varnishes --- I
think I mentioned it here before & was advised for such varnishes,
"clear" means something like "as clear as this kind of varnish can be,
but that's not colourless"!

I've used acrylic varnish on top of white paint without any
discoloration, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish
and it's full of brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this
happening again? [I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to
strip it and start over].

Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 17:12:55 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

Yes, it has a coat of rather fierce "furniture paint" on top.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message ...

In message , at 17:12:55 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

Yes, it has a coat of rather fierce "furniture paint" on top.

Just wondering out loud why you're varnishing paint?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 20:29:00 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, Richard remarked:
Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

Yes, it has a coat of rather fierce "furniture paint" on top.

Just wondering out loud why you're varnishing paint?

So that it's more protected against things placed on it.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or as in some of this stuff, it needs a pretty good stir up before you use
it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Roland Perry
wrote:

Been varnishing some furniture with what Ronseal call "Clear" varnish and
it's full of brown/orange streaks.

I expected them to dry transparent, but they haven't.

What can one do (other than buying a different product) to stop this
happening again? [I assume the only way to fix this furniture is to strip
it and start over].

You sure it hasn't just brought the grain out?

--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem -
you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:12:55 on Tue, 21 Jul
2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

Yes, it has a coat of rather fierce "furniture paint" on top.

And it's not that dissolving?

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 14:53:59 on Wed, 22 Jul
2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
Are you certain it isn't something in the wood being dissolved by the
varnish? Perhaps a wood stain?

Yes, it has a coat of rather fierce "furniture paint" on top.

And it's not that dissolving?

No, the "clear" varnish appears to have some brown stuff in it. I'm
going to give it a better stir, and try that.
--
Roland Perry

It doesn't happen often..... The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 January 7th 13 09:47 AM
Doesn't anyone make.... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 14 December 7th 09 05:00 PM
Boiler doesn't think it's lit Al UK diy 5 April 21st 08 09:56 PM
CH Doesn't Fire Up Jim Burrows UK diy 11 October 21st 06 04:36 PM
Why doesn't my post appear GARY WALKER Woodworking 1 April 11th 05 02:08 AM