Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH Doesn't Fire Up

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Burrows rakkor at hotmail dot com wrote:

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Jim

I'm assuming that it's a fully pumped system with a conventional (not combi)
boiler, which is supposed to heat both the HW and the CH, and that it has
one or more motorised valves to direct the water to the right place. Is this
correct?

If so, you have a problem either a valve or with the room thermostat which
drives it. Assuming that the HW demand is already satisfied, the 2-port
(S-Plan) or 3-port (Y-Plan) valve needs to motor to the CH position before
an internal switch closes and turns on the boiler and pump.

If a motorised valve isn't exercised for several months, it can easily seize
up - which is what has most likely happened.

Tell us a bit more about what type of system you have.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:07:32 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

If so, you have a problem either a valve or with the room thermostat which
drives it. Assuming that the HW demand is already satisfied, the 2-port
(S-Plan) or 3-port (Y-Plan) valve needs to motor to the CH position before
an internal switch closes and turns on the boiler and pump.

If a motorised valve isn't exercised for several months, it can easily seize
up - which is what has most likely happened.

Tell us a bit more about what type of system you have.

It's a gas fired sytem - cold water tank, hot water tank, Spartan
recovery tank ? and a boiler on the wall.

The motorised valve doesn't move when I switch on the CH - HW works
just fine

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim Burrows
writes

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Pump seized through lack of use ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Jim Burrows
writes

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Pump seized through lack of use ?

--
geoff

Tap it to see if it'll spin up, worked for me a few times, or as told
on here open the chrome nut on the pump and turn it with a screwdriver

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If so, you have a problem either a valve or with the room thermostat
which drives it. Assuming that the HW demand is already satisfied,
the 2-port (S-Plan) or 3-port (Y-Plan) valve needs to motor to the
CH position before an internal switch closes and turns on the boiler
and pump.

If a motorised valve isn't exercised for several months, it can
easily seize up - which is what has most likely happened.

Tell us a bit more about what type of system you have.

It's a gas fired sytem - cold water tank, hot water tank, Spartan
recovery tank ? and a boiler on the wall.

Sorry, I was looking for slightly more than that. Is there just one
motorised valve? Does it have 3 water connections - an inlet coming from the
pump, and 2 outlets - one going to the HW cylinder and the other to the CH
radiators? When the HW is heating up, does the pump run?

The motorised valve doesn't move when I switch on the CH - HW works
just fine

Jim

Assuming it's a fully pumped system (still awaiting confirmation of that!)
the valve certainly *should* move when the heating is turned on if it has
previously been in HW-only mode. You should be able to remove the actuator
(the electrical bit) from the valve by undoing a couple of screws (but don't
disconnect the wires). See whether the socket in the actuator which fits
over the shaft of the 'wet' part of the valve rotates when you turn the
heating on. If it *does*, it means that the valve is seized. You should be
able to rotate the shaft of the valve to and fro by gripping it between
finger and thumb. If you can't, see if you can free it with a pair of
pliers. Once it moves freely, fix the actuator back on, and all should be
well. If you *can't* free the valve, it will have to be replaced.

If the actuator *doesn't* move when detached from the valve, it's either got
a duff motor or it's not receiving a signal from the room thermostat. You'd
need to use a mains voltmeter, or a multimeter on its 250vAC range to find
out which.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
Staffbull writes

raden wrote:
In message , Jim Burrows
writes

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Pump seized through lack of use ?

--
geoff

Tap it to see if it'll spin up, worked for me a few times, or as told
on here open the chrome nut on the pump and turn it with a screwdriver

Watered down the "whack it wi'a sledgehammer" approach then ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Got home tonight & the place is like a sauna - looks like a couple of
cycles of the timer has freed up whatever was stuck.

Thanks for all the advice

Jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message om,
Staffbull writes

raden wrote:
In message , Jim Burrows
writes

Hi

Turned on the Central Heating for the 1st time last night & nothing
happens, The bolier doesn't fire up and nor does the pump. I know the
boiler's fine as the hot water works ok - any suggestions as where to
start ? I was thinking the Thermostat - It clicks as you move the
temperature up past ambient could it be anything else ?

Pump seized through lack of use ?

--
geoff

Tap it to see if it'll spin up, worked for me a few times, or as told
on here open the chrome nut on the pump and turn it with a screwdriver

Watered down the "whack it wi'a sledgehammer" approach then ?

--
geoff

If in doubt gi it a clout !!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

If in doubt gi it a clout !!!

Come on chaps, stick to the proper terminology or we'll have any old
twit thinking they can fix things. It's "Percussive maintenance" and
that's final.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

If in doubt gi it a clout !!!

Come on chaps, stick to the proper terminology or we'll have any old
twit thinking they can fix things. It's "Percussive maintenance" and
that's final.

--
Skipweasel

Now then, thats Foreman speak, I'm most certainly a Layman :-)