Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Who invented polystyrene ceiling tiles?

If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

If they've been put on with wallpaper paste, they're easy to remove cleanly.

most were put on with a hideous brown glue, which takes an age to remove,
after you've mashed every tile into approx 7,000 pieces to get to the HBG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

What a crude man you really are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:

"David Lang" wrote in message
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

If they've been put on with wallpaper paste, they're easy to remove cleanly.

most were put on with a hideous brown glue, which takes an age to remove,
after you've mashed every tile into approx 7,000 pieces to get to the HBG

Decorators my parents used said it was cheaper to replace the ceiling
(either over boarding or rip down and replace) than spend the time
taken trying to take down the tiles and clean up the ceiling back to
an acceptable finish.

I had put the tiles up as a teenager when it was my bedroom, very well
as it happens (none showed any sign of coming off easily). Parents had
the ceiling taken down and took the opportunity to have insulation batts
put up there (lack of insulation was why I fitted them in the first place).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mick" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

What a crude man you really are.

You are the second person today to say that.

The first was the apprentice when I asked him how many fingers his
girlfriend could take and he answered "How am I supposed to know?" I replied
"Well after two you will have lost count"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go
round and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

Forgive me, but I couldn't resist it Adam - your knickers must be rather
large to cover such a big crack!

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 20:25:17 +0100, ARW wrote:

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

True, but usually only one pair at a time though.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

I think you'll have have to go round tom the cemetery and dig him up.
Ceiling tiles have been around for a very long time, so he's bound to be
dead by now!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 20:25, ARW wrote:
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

Good to see you raising the tone in your usual inimitable way!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 July 2015 20:54:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
The first was the apprentice when I asked him how many fingers his
girlfriend could take and he answered "How am I supposed to know?"

Is this the one who's still a virgin despite buying lots of handbags?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 19:52:21 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:

"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, they had the virtue of hiding a poor ceiling finish (cracks and/or
artex or peeling paint) and providing insulation whilst at the same time
being incredibly light weight allowing the use of a cheap and not so
strong adhesive (and if any did fall away, no risk of injury).

The only serious problem was that they proved to be a serious fire
hazard (but only in the event of a fire - they weren't usually the cause
of the initial conflagration, just additional accelerant in the event).

The (now long standing) advice in regard of such ceiling tiles is to
remove them for fire safety reasons. When we moved into our current
Victorian built 5/6 bedroomed semi-detached house just over 30 years ago,
I think over half of the rooms had been cursed by such polystyrene
ceiling tile blight.

The only room still so cursed is the first floor bedroom I use as my
office/workshop. Some time in the next year or so (I'm considering
retiring from the computer repair business RSN), assuming we've not been
burnt to a crisp by a house fire, I'm planning on having these remaining
ceiling tiles removed since, aside from being a fire hazard, they'll
depress the resale value of the property when we finally do pull up
stumps and move into a house more suited to our needs as an elderly
"Empty Nest" couple.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

They are a right old fire hazard when painted with gloss. I went in a
house fire one time and a bit dropped on my shoulder and burnt through
my clothes. Still got a mark.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

I think you'll have have to go round tom the cemetery and dig him up.
Ceiling tiles have been around for a very long time, so he's bound to be
dead by now!

Not sure that polystyrene ceiling tiles have been around for long
enough for whoever invented them to be sure to be dead tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

Ooh, bondage!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" writes:

"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

The main danger is that in a fire they give off deadly fumes.
Lots of people killed in quite a small fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
"alan_m" wrote in message

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

Well, yes, but which is easier to remove?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 July 2015 01:28:42 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

I think you'll have have to go round tom the cemetery and dig him up.
Ceiling tiles have been around for a very long time, so he's bound to be
dead by now!

Not sure that polystyrene ceiling tiles have been around for long
enough for whoever invented them to be sure to be dead tho.

Yup, they're dead but not sure they're dead.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wonderful invention. the real person to have a go at is the adhesive maker,
cos the tiles come off fine when you want to change the look, but the
adhesive seems be to be mostly rock hard or rock hard with a rubbery layer
that does not want to come off.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David Lang" wrote in message
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are actually quite good at insulation, and the later ones, like the
ones in use in my house have a very low temp melt and hence do not spread
fire like napalm as the earlier ones did.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Phil L" writes:

"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, but who paints them in gloss?
The newer ones just melted but did not burn, so it seems daft to paint them
in flammable paint!
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

They are a right old fire hazard when painted with gloss. I went in a
house fire one time and a bit dropped on my shoulder and burnt through my
clothes. Still got a mark.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2015 01:28, Rod Speed wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

I think you'll have to go round to the cemetery and dig him up.
Ceiling tiles have been around for a very long time, so he's bound to
be dead by now!

Not sure that polystyrene ceiling tiles have been around for long
enough for whoever invented them to be sure to be dead tho.

We had them in our house when I was a kid at least 60 years ago - and
they weren't a new idea then. I suppose there's an outside chance that
the inventor is still alive, but he/she would have to be pretty old!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Decorators my parents used said it was cheaper to replace the ceiling
(either over boarding or rip down and replace) than spend the time
taken trying to take down the tiles and clean up the ceiling back to
an acceptable finish.

I have in the past used acoustic tiles to cover a ceiling which
had previously had polystyrene tiles (fixed with very hard
adhesive) (1) on top of artex, but they were quite expensive -
actually pretty close to what a skim would have cost.

IIRC they were the same sort of tiles that can be used in
suspended ceilings, but sticking them direct was fine, using the
nominated (also expensive) adhesive.

The tiles remained for about 10 years until a complete kitchen
refit. This time the entire ceiling was brought down (partly to
allow an extractor duct to be fitted) and re-plastered.

(1) Actually two sets of adhesive marks - the installer had
clearly started the job, then realised they needed to swap from
tile central to join central, and ripped them off again.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 19:42, Phil L wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

If they've been put on with wallpaper paste, they're easy to remove cleanly.

most were put on with a hideous brown glue, which takes an age to remove,
after you've mashed every tile into approx 7,000 pieces to get to the HBG

That was the stuff. Wallpaper scraper and hammer job!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Friday, 17 July 2015 20:54:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
The first was the apprentice when I asked him how many fingers his
girlfriend could take and he answered "How am I supposed to know?"

Is this the one who's still a virgin despite buying lots of handbags?

Yes, but he now says he has knobbed her. Hence the questions.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and
give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

If they've been put on with wallpaper paste, they're easy to remove
cleanly.

most were put on with a hideous brown glue, which takes an age to remove,
after you've mashed every tile into approx 7,000 pieces to get to the HBG

That was the stuff. Wallpaper scraper and hammer job!

Surprisingly, it's water based, so it does soften and melt with continuous
soakings.
It sets again, very hard. I'm not 100% certain but i think it's fish size

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:
Yes, but who paints them in gloss?
The newer ones just melted but did not burn, so it seems daft to paint them
in flammable paint!
Brian

Daft wasn't the word I used at the time. Burns really hurt.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Mick" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

But often put up to cover up a poor ceiling full of cracks.

Knickers are used to cover cracks.

What a crude man you really are.

You are the second person today to say that.

The first was the apprentice when I asked him how many fingers his
girlfriend could take and he answered "How am I supposed to know?" I
replied "Well after two you will have lost count"

A young lad comes downstairs on his eighteenth birthday and says to his dad,
'how old do you think I am dad?'
'I don't know son, why do you ask?'
The young lad says, 'I'm eighteen, it's my birthday today!'
He goes into the kitchen and his grandma's peeling spuds at the sink, he
asks her, 'how old do you think I am grandma?'
She replied, 'come over here and I'll tell you', she proceeds to put her
hand down his shorts, cups his balls in her hand and gently rolls them
around for five minutes, she takes her hand out and says, 'you're eighteen
years old'
- 'How did you know that?'
'I just heard you telling your dad'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2015 12:09, Phil L wrote:

It sets again, very hard. I'm not 100% certain but i think it's fish size

How big is that? Fish come in all sorts of sizes! g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 01:07:24 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

They are a right old fire hazard when painted with gloss. I went in a
house fire one time and a bit dropped on my shoulder and burnt through
my clothes. Still got a mark.

I remember this public information film from the 1970s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7chxB45Ms
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

They are a right old fire hazard when painted with gloss. I went in a
house fire one time and a bit dropped on my shoulder and burnt through
my clothes. Still got a mark.

I remember this public information film from the 1970s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7chxB45Ms

Rather than banning them, they did a public information film.

How un-2010s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2015 22:14, Roger Mills wrote:
On 17/07/2015 19:35, David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

I think you'll have have to go round tom the cemetery and dig him up.
Ceiling tiles have been around for a very long time, so he's bound to be
dead by now!

Foamed polystyrene was invented in 1941. Presumably foamed polystyrene
ceiling tiles came along some time later.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

David Lang wrote:
If anyone knows can they provide a name and address so I can go round
and give him a good kicking.

The lady who owns the house has offered to hold him down.

They are a right old fire hazard when painted with gloss. I went in a
house fire one time and a bit dropped on my shoulder and burnt through
my clothes. Still got a mark.

I remember this public information film from the 1970s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7chxB45Ms

Rather than banning them, they did a public information film.

How un-2010s

Maybe they should bring back the ones about how to use a roundabout.

I had a brilliant road rage yesterday morning at a roundabout. I was fine
until the clueless ****** that had no idea how to use a roundabout blasted
his horn at me. So I decided to go for it - I held my lane and forced him to
get back into his lane or lose a door and then due to a litle red mist I got
in front him, slammed on my brakes on jumped out of the van and approached
the driver of the car.

The slamming on of the brakes had caused him to spill his cereals and milk
all over himself and the car seat. The clueless **** was eating a bowl of
cornflakes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

David Lang wrote:
[...]

That explains why he wanted to straight line it over!

Now I shall be wondering the same about all the ****s I meet doing that...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 July 2015 09:12:36 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
The slamming on of the brakes had caused him to spill his cereals and milk
all over himself and the car seat.

That'll smell if it gets into the fabric upholstery :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
wrote:

David Lang wrote:
[...]

Found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1onqlkdL1hk

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:03:39 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 18/07/2015 12:09, Phil L wrote:

It sets again, very hard. I'm not 100% certain but i think it's fish size

How big is that? Fish come in all sorts of sizes! g

Are this sizes recorded on a scale somewhere?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I had a brilliant road rage yesterday morning at a roundabout. I was fine
until the clueless ****** that had no idea how to use a roundabout blasted
his horn at me.

There was the 4 x 4 following me along a narrow lane near home,
where I know that sight lines are tricky, and oncoming vehicles
can appear unexpectedly. He tailgated, and then sounded his horn,
so I stopped, and went back for a chat, suggesting that if it had
not been for his impatience, he would have been a lot further
down the road.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 July 2015 14:02:55 UTC+1, wrote:
How big is that? Fish come in all sorts of sizes! g

Are this sizes recorded on a scale somewhere?

The standard fishes for measurement are the perch (Irish perch are a bit bigger, it's all the recycled Guinness in the Liffey they swim through) and the whale (which is 3 buses long and weighs 25 elephants)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01850n7

Owain

Best way to remove polystyrene ceiling tiles? GMM UK diy 22 January 7th 12 04:55 PM
polystyrene ceiling tiles keith_765 UK diy 26 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
Polystyrene Ceiling tiles again The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 March 11th 06 07:11 PM
Polystyrene tiles PeteZahut UK diy 11 June 3rd 05 10:43 AM
Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ? Andrew Mawson UK diy 12 November 20th 03 04:20 PM