Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Best way to remove polystyrene ceiling tiles?

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Happy new year all
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

if its plasterboard its on, take the lot down and re-board. It will be
quicker.

Or fill the gaps and use lining paper to cover the stuff.

Happy new year all

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Happy new year all

If they've been stuck with "5 dabs", a scraper seems to do the trick fairly
well. It screws the plasterboard in places.
Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Jan 4, 12:32*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. *I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

if its plasterboard its on, take the lot down and re-board. It will be
quicker.

Or fill the gaps and use lining paper to cover the stuff.

Happy new year all

lath and plaster sadly - I was wondering whether a sheet of
plasterboard over the top would be the best thing if the plaster gets
too wrecked: It's only a small room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Jan 4, 12:05*am, Owain wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:28*pm, GMM *wrote:

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

Flood?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps.

garden hoe?

Possibly with the angle of the scrapey end adjusted for maximum
utility.

Owain

Sounds like a good back-saving plan - I'll give it a go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Jan 4, 1:07*am, "brass monkey" wrote:
"GMM" wrote in message

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. *I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Happy new year all

If they've been stuck with "5 dabs", a scraper seems to do the trick fairly
well. It screws the plasterboard in places.
Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Perhaps arson ~is~ the best route...providing the insurance is up to
date....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?
My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.
Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

if its plasterboard its on, take the lot down and re-board. It will be
quicker.

Or fill the gaps and use lining paper to cover the stuff.

Happy new year all

lath and plaster sadly - I was wondering whether a sheet of
plasterboard over the top would be the best thing if the plaster gets
too wrecked: It's only a small room.

why take it down? fire hazard? appearance?

If appearance you could simply use very thin plasterboard for sure.

IF there is something sound to hang it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

you get the prat that put it up in the first place to take it off with their
teeth, whilst simultaneously whacking them over the head with a taste stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo m,
brass monkey escribió:

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Hire a steamer (one with the pad for stripping paper). Score the paper
first to allow the steam to penetrate. Lots of patience needed but
fairly effortless.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually water can do it it depends on the glue. When I had a loft tank tap
leak, all the tiles fell off the ceiling unederneath. However I do not
suggest half demolishing the ceiling. If its the early glue its probably
evo stik, and that is like removing bits of stretchy rubber.
Brian

Email:

"Owain" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 11:28 pm, GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

Flood?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps.

garden hoe?

Possibly with the angle of the scrapey end adjusted for maximum
utility.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 5:12*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Actually *water can do it it depends on the glue. When I had a loft tank tap
leak, all the tiles fell off the ceiling unederneath. However I do not
suggest *half demolishing the ceiling. If its the early glue its probably
evo stik, and that is *like removing bits of stretchy rubber.
*Brian

*graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
Email:
__________________________________________________ _________________________*________________________ ___________

"Owain" wrote in message

On Jan 3, 11:28 pm, GMM *wrote:

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

Flood?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps.

garden hoe?

Possibly with the angle of the scrapey end adjusted for maximum
utility.

Owain

Evo-stick "melts" polystyrene. It might only be thick wall paper
paste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Jan 3, 11:28*pm, GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps.

garden hoe?

Possibly with the angle of the scrapey end adjusted for maximum
utility.

I have done this, and it certainly works. In my case, what was
then revealed was adhesive resistant to abrasives, on top of
painted woodchip.

As it happened, I wanted to fit acoustic tiles, which remained
for about 10 years until a complete kitchen refit. This time the
entire ceiling was brought down (partly to allow an extractor
duct to be fitted) and re-plastered.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo m,
brass monkey escribió:

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Hire a steamer (one with the pad for stripping paper). Score the paper
first to allow the steam to penetrate. Lots of patience needed but
fairly effortless.

I have nornally avoided steamers as they can blow the top coat of the
plaster if not used carefully

score the surface with scraper or wire brush

Spray with water using a garden sprayer

leave say 10 mins spray again

leave again for a few minutes

scrapes off easily

has worked for me.

I tend to score maybe a square metre then spray it

while soaking score next

etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes:
On Jan 4, 5:12*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Actually *water can do it it depends on the glue. When I had a loft tank tap
leak, all the tiles fell off the ceiling unederneath. However I do not
suggest *half demolishing the ceiling. If its the early glue its probably
evo stik, and that is *like removing bits of stretchy rubber.
*Brian

Evo-stick "melts" polystyrene. It might only be thick wall paper
paste.

Evo-stick have done many glues, including a polystyrene ceiling tile
glue (although theirs isn't water soluable).

In the 1970's, I put polystyrene ceiling tiles onto my bedroom
ceiling (flat roof, no insulation above). Many years later, my
parents had the room redecorated. The bloke tried pinging off a
few tiles, but I'd done it properly - fully coated the backs
with paste, so cheapest solution was to rip the ceiling down
and put up a new ceiling.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:
En el artículo m,
brass monkey escribió:

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Hire a steamer (one with the pad for stripping paper). Score the paper
first to allow the steam to penetrate. Lots of patience needed but
fairly effortless.

Much easier...
Use a steamer, but don't score the paper, and don't even try taking
it off, but go over the whole surface.
Next day, go over it again, and the sheets will peel off in whole
(reusable) sheets as yesterday's moisture boils and blows it off,
providing you haven't scored them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:28:04 -0800 (PST), GMM
wrote:

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Flame thrower.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 5, 4:19 pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:

En el art culo m,
brass monkey escribi :

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Hire a steamer (one with the pad for stripping paper). Score the paper
first to allow the steam to penetrate. Lots of patience needed but
fairly effortless.

Much easier...
Use a steamer, but don't score the paper, and don't even try taking
it off, but go over the whole surface.
Next day, go over it again, and the sheets will peel off in whole
(reusable) sheets as yesterday's moisture boils and blows it off,
providing you haven't scored them.

never heard of that - noted.

erm.... reusable?? ;)))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andrew Gabriel
escribió:

Much easier...
Use a steamer, but don't score the paper, and don't even try taking
it off, but go over the whole surface.
Next day, go over it again, and the sheets will peel off in whole
(reusable) sheets as yesterday's moisture boils and blows it off,
providing you haven't scored them.

Interesting, thanks, will try that next time (though I hope there isn't
a next time!)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K writes:
On Jan 5, 4:19 pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Tomlinson writes:

En el art culo m,
brass monkey escribi :

Now tell me how to remove woodchip avoiding arson.

Hire a steamer (one with the pad for stripping paper). Score the paper
first to allow the steam to penetrate. Lots of patience needed but
fairly effortless.

Much easier...
Use a steamer, but don't score the paper, and don't even try taking
it off, but go over the whole surface.
Next day, go over it again, and the sheets will peel off in whole
(reusable) sheets as yesterday's moisture boils and blows it off,
providing you haven't scored them.

never heard of that - noted.

I discovered it by accident many years ago.
I found that the paper which was a ******* to get off, and hence put
off to the next day, subsequently came off easily in whole pieces the
next day.

Next time, I did it all this way deliberately.

I don't know if a day is the optimum time to leave it. The moisture you
have pumped into the paper needs to have time to soak through into the
glue layer at least.

erm.... reusable?? ;)))

Well, you get the whole sheets come off in one piece easily.

Oh, one other tip, steam sets off smoke detectors. If it's a
commercial one, I stretch a rubber glove over it, and the "hand"
pointing down from the ceiling helps remind you to remove it as
soon as you've stopped using the steamer.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Flame thrower.

Is that the tool of choice for 2012?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/12 23:28, GMM wrote:
Any clever ideas, ideally that don't involve setting fire to the
house?

My fear is that the right answer is a lot of time with a scraper,
cramped up at the top of a set of steps. I'm guessing that whatever
they're stuck with will be more of a challenge than the tiles
themselves.

Yes, I do have an angle grinder, but I think it would be an unfair
competition.

Happy new year all

A long crowbar (from the floor?)
The bent end can be useful.

Then I glues kingspan to my bathroom ceiling,
(silver side down)
with pink dryfix foam.

[g]

polystyrene ceiling tiles keith_765 UK diy 26 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
Polystyrene Ceiling tiles again The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 3 March 11th 06 07:11 PM
Fixing polystyrene tiles. [email protected] UK diy 18 January 1st 06 02:28 PM
Polystyrene tiles PeteZahut UK diy 11 June 3rd 05 10:43 AM
Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ? Andrew Mawson UK diy 12 November 20th 03 04:20 PM