Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recent new door frame twisted

Around 18months ago, a new door frame plus fire door was installed for
a bedroom. The hinge side of the frame, to the edge on of a stud and
plaster-board wall. The latch side, to a flat brick internal wall.

Over time I noticed the hinge side of the frame had a developing gap
between the frame and the skirting, also exposing un-papered wall edge.

The recent hot weather, progressed it much further, to the point where
the frame has a very obvious twist at the bottom. I can jack it back to
where it should be, with a scissor jack, but it spring straight back.

My guess is that it has maybe loosened the studding in the wall to
which it was fixed. I cannot trace the original installer to get him
back, but what can I do by way of a fix?

I was thinking of several ideas....

1. a stout L shaped steel bracket, fixed to the wooden floor, to retain
it.

2. Drill through the frame and stud and put a screwed rod through to
the next furthest stud in the wall.

Anything else I could do, without major disruption?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/15 17:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Couple of diagonal screws (45 degrees) through the lower section into
the floor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Over some years, I've noticed that either a door or the frame has twisted.
Its Upvc of course as its a back door. Its now more than the rubber seal can
handle and is draghty in the winter.. Obviously something has warped or
sagged or whatever, but how can one tell let alone fix it?
The original fiters are long gone of course, and I bet if i get a double
glazing company in they will want me to have new everythings.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
. uk...