Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Honeywell CM927 LCD screen fail - common?

replying to Phil, Fize wrote:
in my case the heat didn't work... perhaps it is a very old one.. i used small
strips of sellotape to fix the edges of the plastic ribbon in position ... it
worked!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Jason wrote:
Hi Phil
My Honeywell CM927 has a completely dead screen, tried replacing the batteries
with no luck. I now wonder if just the screen and it is still working ( as
summer not yet sure ). I will try pressing screen as nothing to lose and then
maybe taking apart tonight. Annoying as only 2 years old and costs £90 to
replace, I will switch to another brand if this does not work as cannot afford
£90 every two years!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 15:44:03 +0000, Jason wrote:

My Honeywell CM927 has a completely dead screen

Just had a similar problem with a 3-year-old Honeywell ST9100C1006
Single Channel 7-Day Timeswitch.

Found new one on Amazon for £50+ and was simple to replace the main
component with the new one, which clipped on to the base wiring frame
on the wall.

The CM927 looks a more expensive system, though. Good hunting!

--
/\/\aurice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fraser, Michelle wrote:
Thank you so much for these picture, Fraser. I'm not great at things like
this but budget necessitated I gave it a go and it has worked like a dream.
Thanks again.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Stephen Horner wrote:

Phil , you are a star - just tried your method and working like a dream -
cheers

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Stephen Hill wrote:
What fantastic advice!!!. Perhaps do not completely reassemble after trying to
see if it has worked. Many thanks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Chris B wrote:
Fantastic... disassembling the unit (CM921) , heating the ribbon cable and
applying some gentle pressure, the reassembling the unit, and voila, LCD back
in perfect working order! Many thanks!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Rita Ellis wrote:
Hi everyone I'm new here, trying to repair blank screen now I have new
problem. Battery holders fell out of their place and I cannot for the life of
me figure out how to put them back. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a million.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Geoff M wrote:
Phil, thank you very much for posting this easy fix solution. Had the same
problem and was almost on the verge of spending £90 for a replacement unit
when I thought I'd just give Google a go! It took me less than 10 mins and
working a treat. Be interesting to see how long it lasts. Thanks again.

Geoff M

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Lino wrote:
Hi, just tried this fix on my thermostat that has had a blank screen for the
past year! Brilliant! Just the job, thank you for posting!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Kate wrote:
Thank you so much for posting this fix - the LCD on my Honeywell wireless
thermostat had all but disappeared. I followed your instructions - blasted my
hairdryer on it reassembled the unit and it's now working fine - you've just
saved me over £100!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Tim wrote:
Phil - I think you might be some kind of wizard! Thanks for saving us £90 on
a replacement!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fraser, RachaelPadman wrote:
My thanks as well -- I have fixed a CM907, which seems to have the same
display, using this method. The only thing I'd add is that most of the "thick
white pad" is perspex and I think is the backlight for the display. The real
issue is the thin white plastic sheet between it and the circuit board. You
can't take off the backlight completely, since it's soldered to the board, but
you can lift it up from one end enough to get at the plastic film and reset
that by itself.
Interestingly I've recently had the same issue with an old laptop display.
Does this mean that the ribbon cable is not actually soldered to the board,
but simply held in place by glue?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, kowloontiger wrote:
Thank you so much for this. Decided to try it as I had nothing to lose. Worked
like a dream and saved me over £100 having to buy a new one

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2017 16:44, Jason wrote:
replying to Phil, Jason wrote:
Hi Phil
My Honeywell CM927 has a completely dead screen, tried replacing the
batteries
with no luck.* I now wonder if just the screen and it is still working ( as
summer not yet sure ).* I will try pressing screen as nothing to lose
and then
maybe taking apart tonight.* Annoying as only 2 years old and costs £90 to
replace, I will switch to another brand if this does not work as cannot
afford
£90 every two years!

Its good to see some newcomers but can we have a bit of quoting and
context here?

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fraser, chimpanzeeman wrote:
Hi. Followed the advice for my blank CM927 screen by heating up the ribbon. it
took two attempts but now works perfectly. Thank you so much!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jv jv is offline

replying to David, jv wrote:
yes mine has just gone the lcd is unreadable but I can stillswitch the heating
on and off manually

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Tony G wrote:
Thanks Phil, this fix worked perfectly.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Emma wrote:
Wow !!! It really works 👍🏻 Thankyou so much

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Al Sacco wrote:
My display on the CM927 had characters missing on the display and after
reading your post and after some scepticism I had nothing to lose. I tried the
suggestion above with a hair dryer and it worked a treat. Thanks Phil, you
saved me £100.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

replying to Phil, Joe wrote:
Worked a treat Phil

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm
Since this seems to be the HoH thread that keeps on giving, maybe it
deserves a wiki article, after all is shows plenty of people willing to
fix their own stuff.

John, would you be against 'lifting' the accompanying photos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

replying to Joe, Joe wrote:
Only worked for about 24 hours.
Characters missing again

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Albert, Carl F wrote:
Wanted to say a quick thanks. A great tip!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Paul wrote:
Thanks so much. I used a toaster as I don't have a hair dryer. LCD Fully
restored after repeating the heating and pressing a half dozen times. Each
time, I noticed a slight improvement which encouraged me to keep trying. I
think that in my case the ribbon was also loose on the LCD side. Not sure, but
I kept pressing both sides (pcb and lcd).

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Mike A wrote:
Hi Phil
Your solution to this problem worked exactly as you said.
Thanks for saving me over £100
Mike A

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Jon wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6cnCDOfCafs

Check this video out it worked straight away for me. My model is a wireless
but the screens are the same. If the link doesn't work it's

Handy Hawkins you tube

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Des Bradley wrote:
Great info. I tried this a couple of times without prising the white board off
the circuit board and it didn't work. But when I prised it away a bit ( and
kept it open with a match) it all worked fine. The other thing for amateurs
like me is that to open the thing up requires using a screw driver in the area
that the batteries have been taken out of. If you look closely you will see a
2 screwdriver diagrams pointing where to prise the back from the front.
Like everyone else on this thread, I am delighted to have got so more time for
this unit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Kassythorn wrote:
You're a genius! Worked on the fourth attempt. Thank you, you've saved me a
few precious quid.😀

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, arthur elevey wrote:
Hi Phil, many thanks for your fix, repaired it today and working fine.
Thanks again

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Bigfella wrote:
Having the same problem with mine, some of the digital readings are missing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I tried this fix last week and it's still working fine, hopefully it'll continue to do so. Many thanks for the info, saved us a lot of money.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Alan wrote:
I have had mine four years and now comes up with internal error with temp set
at -24. will no switch off so had to turn off manually

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, stevie wrote:
Hi Phil and thanks for the tip. I've just done a repair which worked
perfectly. The prospect of fitting a new control and receiver would be
daunting, expensive and unnecessary. There's a film on You-Tube which takes
you through the process and is helpful too. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LxHn5Y_l4&t=189s

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Phil Prangnell wrote:
Tried Grahams remedy first as requires no real effort or stripping of unit
but this did not work. Was a bit worried about stripping unit out as suggested
by phil but as the unit was unusable as it was I thought that I had nothing to
loose so I ha be it a try. Simple operation and now unit working well. Thanks
guys.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to David, Ianblack17 wrote:
Hi my temperature up button only works with effort. Any ideas?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Kenpage72 wrote:
This totally worked on my cm927!!! The plastic release clips are inside
battery compartment, may need to pry round edges with screwdriver to release,
careful not to dislodge components near join. I grounded myself regularly on
unpainted central heating pipes while working inside the box. Used hairdryer 5
min sessions, pressing ribbon down onto metallic contacts on board with
fingers and flat of screwdriver after one. V happy, thanks for advice.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Phil, Kenpage72 wrote:
Great, worked a treat. Clips to open plastic case are concealed inside battery
compartment. I also carefully pried it open with a small screwdriver.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1058940-.htm