Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remotes which learn

On 02/07/2015 10:18, Andy wrote:
On 02/07/2015 08:56, Mike Barnes wrote:
alan_m wrote:
I have a couple of Harmony remote controls. They allow the control of up
to 6 different devices. There is a web interface where you can download
the codes for hundreds of popular boxes. They also have the ability to
learn the codes from an existing remote - put the harmony remote into
programming mode (for a single button at a time) and point it at remote
it has to learn from. There is a LCD screen where you can allocate your
own button functionality.

These remotes allow flexibility on how I use my under TV equipment. For
instance volume control is via an AV amp so the volume button for the TV
and set-top boxes have been reallocated codes for the AV map.

The remote also allows sequence switching. Swapping between set-top
boxes or to a DVD player is a single button press. The remote handles
switching off one box and switching on another as well as swapping audio
sources on the AV amp and swapping video sources on the TV.

I toyed with sequence switching in the distant past but there's one
problem that would occur again and again, and that's the button whose
effect depends on the current state of the system.

For instance on my current TV remote there's an AV button that either
(1) switches from TV to AV, or (2) switches from one AV source to the
next one. The effect depends on whether the current mode is TV or AV.
There's no button that says unambiguously "switch to AV", or "Select
AV2", so no possibility of constructing a sequence containing that
action.

I'd like to think there's a solution to that problem but I can't think
what it might be. It seems that there's every incentive for
manufacturers to reduce the number of buttons on the remote by sharing
functions, and no incentive for them to make it learning-remote-friendly.

There might be a solution to that problem. Some (many) TVs will have an
input button which scrolls between inputs as you described. This could
be just between AV or TV, or between HDMI1, HDMI2, Scart, DTV etc.

Just because the remote doesn't have discrete button for each input on
the TV doesn't mean to say that the TV can't use them. Many of these are
documented and are already in Logitech's database.

If they aren't already available it may be possible to work out what
they are. I successfully did this for a Logik (Curry's) TV using a
Logitech remote. Once I'd found the codes Logitech programmed them in
for me. I assume they then add them to their database for future use.
Lots of info here www.remotecentral.com, and my thread on their forum -
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...ghlight=AndyMe.
There's even some diy in there making an optical coupler!

I use a wheelbarrow