Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft insulation

Hello,

It is been pretty warm in the loft conversion, much warmer than the
rest of the house.

I was removing some down lighters from the ceiling and looked up
through the hole and I cannot see any insulation. I mentioned in an
another post how this loft conversion has all the paperwork and yet
has all the power off a 13A fused radial. Is this another cut corner?
Surely they should have put some insulation somewhere?

I'm thinking that as well as being warm in the summer it is likely to
be cold in the winter. What is the best way to insulate: remove the
ceiling and put celotex between the joists?

I'm thinking this would be easiest as if I put celotex between the
rafters, don't I have to leave ventilation gaps, which seems to defeat
the purpose?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote in
:

[...]

There's a government scheme (paid for by the energy companies) to get it
done for free. Google Help-Link.

--
Jim S

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/15 08:55, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

It is been pretty warm in the loft conversion, much warmer than the
rest of the house.

I was removing some down lighters from the ceiling and looked up
through the hole and I cannot see any insulation. I mentioned in an
another post how this loft conversion has all the paperwork and yet
has all the power off a 13A fused radial. Is this another cut corner?
Surely they should have put some insulation somewhere?

I'm thinking that as well as being warm in the summer it is likely to
be cold in the winter. What is the best way to insulate: remove the
ceiling and put celotex between the joists?

It's about the only way with a loft conversion. But you will need to
ensure your wood structure retains sufficient ventilation.

If the outside is tiled with a breathable membrane, 25mm air gap between
the membrane and celotex is fine (what my BCO asked for) and you will
not generally need any vents.

If the sarking is old style and not breathable, you'll need a 50mm gap
and enough vents (in soffit and ridge, or near ridge) to ensure a flow
of air on the cold side of the celotex (cold in winter that is).

What can you see though the hole? Sure the insulation has not been
stopped short to allow the downlighter to breath?

I'm thinking this would be easiest as if I put celotex between the
rafters, don't I have to leave ventilation gaps, which seems to defeat
the purpose?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/15 12:19, Tim Watts wrote:

If the sarking is old style and not breathable, you'll need a 50mm gap
and enough vents (in soffit and ridge, or near ridge) to ensure a flow
of air on the cold side of the celotex (cold in winter that is).

Oh - and also if you have an impermeable weather layer - eg felt or
metal instead of tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What can you see though the hole? Sure the insulation has not been
stopped short to allow the downlighter to breath?

+1

Loft insulation richgk UK diy 7 October 15th 08 11:42 AM
Loft insulation. Matthew UK diy 2 April 1st 08 08:50 AM
Loft Insulation .... Again danw UK diy 18 March 19th 08 11:24 AM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 10 April 18th 05 09:55 PM