Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default house wiring

On 30/06/15 16:44, Ash Burton wrote:

It depends on the current rating of the cable as to which fuse/mcb is
selected, you have to protect the cable not the light fitting.

And some absolute limits too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade a écrit :
Yes to both points, also old lighting was commonly in 1/0.044 rather than
3/0.029 (so was single strand).

I found 3/0.029 to be much more common than 1/0.044. The later size was
never installed by the company I worked for, the reason being it was
much more fragile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) a écrit :
Complicated by the fact that from a quick read I can't see that anyone
has mentioned aluminium cable? Used to have a lot of that here.

Have heard of it but not personally come across it. It wasn't around for
that long.

I thought that period was around late 60's early 70's. Horrible stuff,
forced upon us by the copper shortages/ price, along with a whole new
section in the regs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW a écrit :
Now the intersting thing (at least to me) is that the last lot of red,white
blue cable (no earth) I saw was in white PVC.

It was also stranded. White PVC of that age or indeed any age is rare where I
live.

I do back the regional suggestion.

White outer covering of PVC, was much beloved by the YEB of that era.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) a écrit :
Before about 1970, lighting cable was mostly 3/0.029". Was there an earth
conductor present - and more to the point is it connected at both ends?
There was no requirement for an earth on lighting circuits in those days -
although the cable itself might have had one.

There was, but only usually where flourescent fittings were installed.

Where a normal light was swapped to flourescent, they would run a
separate earth wire - if you were lucky. Many were just installed
without an earth, by bodgers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
ARW a écrit :
Now the intersting thing (at least to me) is that the last lot of
red,white blue cable (no earth) I saw was in white PVC.

It was also stranded. White PVC of that age or indeed any age is rare
where I live.

I do back the regional suggestion.

White outer covering of PVC, was much beloved by the YEB of that era.

But in this case only the srapper for the landing light was in white. The
rest was in grey.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2015 11:08, Robin wrote:
Complicated by the fact that from a quick read I can't see that anyone
has mentioned aluminium cable? Used to have a lot of that here.

For the OP: you can usually recognise aluminium cable 'cos it ain't
copper-coloured Was used in and about the 60s. Was house built or
required around then?

I just stripped some tinned copper off the side of my house. That's not
copper coloured...

(It was an old mains feed, which no-one had bothered to remove even
though it wasn't used any more)

Andy