Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jungle Jim

Default New house wiring

We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

What books are available that you have used and can recommend to me so
that I may become more educated in current technology and what;s
coming up.

Anyone who has either done this at home construction or as an add-on
after construction ? What was your ideas on this ?
FDR

"Jungle Jim" wrote in message
3...
We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone),

With wireless getting better all the time, cat 5 networking may not be all
that important.

and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

What books are available that you have used and can recommend to me so
that I may become more educated in current technology and what;s
coming up.

Anyone who has either done this at home construction or as an add-on
after construction ? What was your ideas on this ?

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Jungle Jim wrote:

We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

I was in a situation where I had to have everything done and
closed up in order to close on the house, but I didn't have
time to pull the wire, terminate it, and punch it down. What
I came up with was putting standard outlet boxes in whereever
I thought I would want a drop, with at least one per room.
I then had the electrician drop conduit from the box down
into the basement. That allowed me to be fully finished
for closing, and allowed me to easily pull the cable later
on. I later found a 3rd benefit in that I changed cable
from cat 3 to cat 5, and having the conduit made it easy
to refish. Had the cable been stapled down near the box,
I would have been screwed. Finally, you will want as big
of conduit as you can. 1/2 is too small. 3/4 is tight for
a good coax and 2 cat 5. Another finally, have the installer
minimize the number of bends in the conduit, and make
sure the bends are gradual. You don't want any challenging
fishes if you can avoid it.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
FDR

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article ,
Jungle Jim wrote:

[...]

Did you put a pull string in them during construction or just use fish tape
later?

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 06:34:53 -0500, someone wrote:

.... What
I came up with was putting standard outlet boxes in whereever
I thought I would want a drop, with at least one per room.
I then had the electrician drop conduit from the box down
into the basement.

I have always thought that sounded like the way to go, but you are the
first person I heard from who actually did it. Yeah if one really
wanted to be belt and suspenders prepared, have pull string put in
too, but that shouldn't be critical, check the price.

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"FDR" wrote:

I then had the electrician drop conduit from the box down
into the basement. That allowed me to be fully finished
for closing, and allowed me to easily pull the cable later
on. I later found a 3rd benefit in that I changed cable
from cat 3 to cat 5, and having the conduit made it easy
to refish. Had the cable been stapled down near the box,
I would have been screwed. Finally, you will want as big
of conduit as you can. 1/2 is too small. 3/4 is tight for
a good coax and 2 cat 5. Another finally, have the installer
minimize the number of bends in the conduit, and make
sure the bends are gradual. You don't want any challenging
fishes if you can avoid it.

Did you put a pull string in them during construction or just use fish tape
later?

Neither. Most of the drops were straight down from the main
level to the basement, so the conduit was maybe two to three
feet long. Even the few drops from the 2nd level to the
basement were easy to fish...just tie the wires together and
push them into the conduit. If you get a drop with corners,
you might have to use a fish line. A chunk of coax or 12
gauge electrical wire works great as a fish.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Jungle Jim wrote:
We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

What books are available that you have used and can recommend to me so
that I may become more educated in current technology and what;s
coming up.

Anyone who has either done this at home construction or as an add-on
after construction ? What was your ideas on this ?

Sounds good. 2x cat5 per room should be sufficient. Security camers
are also using IP addresses and network connections these days, so
perhaps put a few drops in the attic for good camera locations. Plus
electrical.

run the cable, but you dont have to wire every room right away, long as
the wire is there your good for when you need it.

And if you can avoid wireless your better off. Use it only on the
laptop. No need to run so many extra radio waves through ourselves than
necessary. And wire will always be faster than wireless.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
FDR

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Jungle Jim wrote:
[...]

They sell inexpensive adapters to connect the output of video cameras and
connect them to cat5 cable. I don't know if it'c cost effective but it's
probably easier to run than coax.

run the cable, but you dont have to wire every room right away, long as
the wire is there your good for when you need it.

And if you can avoid wireless your better off. Use it only on the laptop.
No need to run so many extra radio waves through ourselves than necessary.
And wire will always be faster than wireless.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

tim

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jungle Jim wrote:
[...]

if you've got the walls open, nothing beats conduit. right now it
looks like everything can be done on cat5/6, but what happens when
you need cat8a, or fiber, or whatever. an empty conduit, or any
conduit, with a pull string is infinitely preferable to trying to
restring something else after the walls are closed up.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Jungle Jim wrote:
We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am interested in
(either tasking the electrician or doing it myself) taking this
opportunity to wire the house for network drops, audio, etc. I will
want a closet with a patch panel for maximum flexibility and home runs
from each room in the house. I do know that I will want 2 cat-5
cables for each room (network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable.
There are other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as security
cameras, etc.

if you find a nice enough electrician, you can pay him, and still do the
job too so you can learn and get special things done you want.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
tim

tim wrote in
89.191:

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jungle Jim wrote:
[...]

one more point. while you have the walls open don't stop at only
one drop per room. drops on opposite side of the bedrooms, living
rooms, etc. give a lot more flexibility in arranging the room than
having to run 20ft of cable around the baseboard because the drop
isn't close to where the furniture needs it to be.

as far as books go, just wander around the benden wire website and
the blackbox website. one would be surprised at what can be
learned that way.