Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Common waste for dishwasher and washing machine

These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2015 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

Use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAlpine-Twi.../dp/B00CM87XS0

most plumbers merchants have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2015 22:02, David Lang wrote:
On 25/06/2015 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

Use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAlpine-Twi.../dp/B00CM87XS0

most plumbers merchants have them.

Many thanks.

I have seen similar, but I suppose I'm rather used to hoses loosely
placed in a vertical waste pipe, rather than to a push fit attachment as
in your link.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/15 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

I did exactly that.

But I made the trap out of 50mm elbows and tees (2 tees with a cap on
the top of each end to allow for cleaning).

Works rather well.

However, I find that it was a good idea to do this:

A B
| |
| /----------------|
| |------------/
| |
| |
| |
|____|

The dip is 2 x 45 degree bends end to end. It is not much but it stops
back pressure from stand pipe A pushing back up B

I also finished A and B with screw caps so if either is not used it can
be blanked off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
On 25/06/2015 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

Use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAlpine-Twi.../dp/B00CM87XS0

****ing hell, another one of those complete obscenitys of a picture
with very little contrast between the item and the background.

most plumbers merchants have them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2015 22:36, Fredxxx wrote:
On 25/06/2015 22:02, David Lang wrote:
On 25/06/2015 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | _______________________
| | |
| | |
|_____|______|

This diagram will only work with fixed width fonts.

Use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McAlpine-Twi.../dp/B00CM87XS0

most plumbers merchants have them.

Many thanks.

I have seen similar, but I suppose I'm rather used to hoses loosely
placed in a vertical waste pipe, rather than to a push fit attachment as
in your link.

The good thing about pushing a hosepipe onto the spigot with a jubilee
clip over a hosepipe pushed into a 40mm waste pipe is that if there is a
blockage downstream, it does not overfill past the open end of thje 40mm
pipe and flood the floor, buy stays within the machine concerned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-25, Tim Watts wrote:

I did exactly that.

But I made the trap out of 50mm elbows and tees (2 tees with a cap on
the top of each end to allow for cleaning).

Works rather well.

However, I find that it was a good idea to do this:

A B
| |
| /----------------|
| |------------/
| |
| |
| |
|____|

The dip is 2 x 45 degree bends end to end. It is not much but it stops
back pressure from stand pipe A pushing back up B

I also finished A and B with screw caps so if either is not used it can
be blanked off.

I did something similar --- I think you advised me here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-26, Chris Hogg wrote:

We have exactly as per your diagram. TW's idea of tees with screw caps
for cleaning would seem a useful improvement, provided they don't
leak. Ours haven't needed cleaning in the 15 years we've been here.

If ours leak, it will be in the dirt-bottomed crawl space under the
kitchen (which is accessible --- not pleasantly, but crawlable).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/06/2015 21:53, Fredxxx wrote:
These will be next to each other.

There is very little room behind these appliances and was wondering how
practical it is to have a common waste system.

Are there any regulations on the horizontal length of the U trap, such
that I can make a combined trap for both. I would use 40mm pipe,
possibly solvent weld.

| |
| |
| |
| |
| | |
| | |

It's worked here for the past 32 years. The uprights are a machine-width
apart and the whole lot exits the room within the width of the second
machine.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly