Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine and Dishwasher Combined Waste

I've got a washing maching machine connected to a waste pipe via a
standpipe and p-trap.

I've now purchased a dishwasher and would like to connect the waste
from the dishwasher to the existing arrangement by replacing the p-trap
with an appliance nozzle trap.

Here's a link to a picture of an appliance nozzle trap:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431942

I'll connect the waste hose from the dishwasher to the spigot on the
appliance nozzle trap.

But I'm a complete novice when it comes to plumbing, so my my question
is: can you think of any reason why this arrangement might be a bad
idea ?

I would appreciate any comments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got a washing maching machine connected to a waste pipe via a
standpipe and p-trap.

I've now purchased a dishwasher and would like to connect the waste
from the dishwasher to the existing arrangement by replacing the p-trap
with an appliance nozzle trap.

Here's a link to a picture of an appliance nozzle trap:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431942

I'll connect the waste hose from the dishwasher to the spigot on the
appliance nozzle trap.

But I'm a complete novice when it comes to plumbing, so my my question
is: can you think of any reason why this arrangement might be a bad
idea ?

I would appreciate any comments.

When I had a washing machine and a dishwasher using the same standpipe they
occasionally pumped out at the same time and the s/pipe overflowed :-(.
Twice was enough they are now on separate standpipes, it's probably not a
problem if using both on a sink waste though as the sink itself could act as
a sump, not ideal but a least it dosn't go on the floor!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got a washing maching machine connected to a waste pipe via a
standpipe and p-trap.

Do you mean like this?
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431915

I've now purchased a dishwasher and would like to connect the waste
from the dishwasher to the existing arrangement by replacing the
p-trap with an appliance nozzle trap.

The appliance trap is really designed to replace the trap under the kitchen
sink, never heard of them being used to replace the trap on a washing
machine trap.

You can get a double appliance trap.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys.

I guess the consensus is that it's a bad idea.

I'll attempt to replace the trap under the kitchen sink with the
appliance trap like you suggest, though that's the very thing I was
trying to avoid in the first place (due to space restrictions).

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct 2006 15:43:57 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I guess the consensus is that it's a bad idea.

That particular fitting won't connect to the existing standpipe, as
it is designed to connect to the outlet of a sink.

I'll attempt to replace the trap under the kitchen sink with the
appliance trap like you suggest, though that's the very thing I was
trying to avoid in the first place (due to space restrictions).

That transfers the potential problem to the sink drain, where you
might be emptying a sink when the machine decides to empty.

Provided the standpipe drains away properly I would fit a tee to the
bottom of the standpipe, an elbow and some pipe, to make two
standpipes close together. As long as these are tall enough both
machines should drain together without problems.

If the existing standpipe doesn't drain too well then I would
consider another standpipe running to the stack, as well as sorting
out the existing one. Whether this is easier than squashing an
appliance trap into under your sink depends on your plumbing.

If you are determined to fiddle under the sink then an alternative
to the fitting you are looking at is to fit just an adapter above it
like
but as with the fitting you outlined you need to be able to lower
the pipe that emerges from the trap. If you can't do this then the
alternative is either a double sink trap with an adapter like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...48625&ts=78596 in the
second outlet or something like
neither of which lower the outlet pipe from the trap. These are
available with one or two hose inlets, either from a plumber's
merchant or a handyman shop.

You may find that you end up with several different fittings in your
"might be useful sometime" box as you play with the different
options. You will then become known in the family as someone who can
do plumbing and they will come in useful elsewhe-)

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

Provided the standpipe drains away properly I would fit a tee to the
bottom of the standpipe, an elbow and some pipe, to make two
standpipes close together. As long as these are tall enough both
machines should drain together without problems.

Thanks David, I think I'll attempt what you suggest rather than
fiddling under the sink.

And as a precaution, I'll try (!) not to run the washing machine and
dishwasher at the same time. I think I can be fairly confident that
there won't be any problems since the existing standpipe drains
perfectly well.