Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repainting radiator

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I'd be very surprised if any stain would soak into the sort of finish
you'd get on a factory rad.

Try an abrasive paint cleaner like T-cut. Or even a metal polish like
Brasso if you have some.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Dulux would have you believe that its gloss formulation will work on
radiators. I am not at all convinced that they are right...

I have seen badly painted radiators with flakes of paint falling off
like confetti (although poor surface preparation may play a part too).

My money would be on a specific radiator paint that is formulated with a
bit more adhesion and elasticity that allows it to handle regular
thermal cycling without quickly flaking off.

Best to give it plenty of drying time before running hot. The stuff I
used last time was Rustins and it seems to work fine. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:

[...]

The last time I painted a rad I used "Radiator Enamel", I don't remember
the brand. It worked very well.

Beware! The only way to clean the brush is to use cellulose thinners which I
did not have. Exit one new paint brush.
I spilt a load of the bloody stuff on the garage floor. The stain is still
there, white spirit does not touch it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/15 15:30, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Dulux would have you believe that its gloss formulation will work on
radiators. I am not at all convinced that they are right...

I have seen badly painted radiators with flakes of paint falling off
like confetti (although poor surface preparation may play a part too).

Probably.

Oil based gloss is certainly fine - done that. Water based modern stuff
might be a different kettle of fish...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I've used the same coloured emulsion (matt or satin) that I used on the
walls for years. Never had a problem and the radiator seems to blend in
better too.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I've redone all my rads with Hammerite Spray Radiator Enamel, satin finish.
If you spray the stained area one coat you should be able to get away with
just one more coat overall. Looks beautiful, dries quickly and no smell.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I'd be very surprised if any stain would soak into the sort of finish
you'd get on a factory rad.

Try an abrasive paint cleaner like T-cut. Or even a metal polish like
Brasso if you have some.

I think I would try a little nail polish remover, turps substitute or even
petrol to remove the stain first.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I'd be very surprised if any stain would soak into the sort of finish
you'd get on a factory rad.

The white finish on panel rads used to be just primer, has it changed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Satinwood is the paint for radiators not gloss.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2015 15:30, Martin Brown wrote:
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Dulux would have you believe that its gloss formulation will work on
radiators. I am not at all convinced that they are right...

Dulux recommend satinwood and it works well on rads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I'd be very surprised if any stain would soak into the sort of finish
you'd get on a factory rad.

The white finish on panel rads used to be just primer, has it changed?

About 20 years ago - so yes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:06:23 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I always use the undercoat car enamel type paint. Cheap, dries quickly
and easy to apply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
I'd be very surprised if any stain would soak into the sort of finish
you'd get on a factory rad.

The white finish on panel rads used to be just primer, has it changed?

Dunno. Mine have a very decent factory finish. Has stood up to years of
cleaning etc, so I doubt it is just a primer.

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in my shed there is a can of something called radiator paint. However
it still pongs very badly for about a week afterward when its heated.

I found that it really did not stay on that long, possibly due to it having
needed some undercoat to bind to the metal. dunno, I'm not living in the
house it was a mates.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the various solvents a try and
then have a look at the Hammerite aerosol (I don't want to end up with
brush marks...).

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Another Dave wrote:
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

I've used the same coloured emulsion (matt or satin) that I used on the
walls for years. Never had a problem and the radiator seems to blend in
better too.

But if all the other radiators are gloss white, it'll look a bit odd unless
he does them all too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2015 11:07, F wrote:
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:

Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the various solvents a try and
then have a look at the Hammerite aerosol (I don't want to end up with
brush marks...).

If you follow the instructions the stuff behaves very well by brush and
flows to smooth provided you do not apply too much or too little.

The risk of excess causing paint runs (by spray can or by brush) is more
of an issue however you apply it so practice on something first.

As others have said you might want to try Tcut on it first or hydrogen
peroxide or bleach. If you are repainting it anyway nothing to lose.

It is hard to imagine what sort of soft furnishing could stain a
radiator to that extent.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2015 11:07, F wrote:
On 23/06/2015 15:06, F wrote:
Our rental property has 'modern' panel radiators and the tenant has left
soft furniture against one of them and it appears to have stained it
red/brown. The stain doesn't look as though it's going to be open to
removal so it looks as though it will have to be repainted.

I doubt that Dulux gloss white is going to look too clever so what's the
best paint to go for?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the various solvents a try and
then have a look at the Hammerite aerosol (I don't want to end up with
brush marks...).

To follow up...

I ended up getting an aerosol of 'Plasti-Kote Radiator Paint White
400ml' from Screwfix (37495, £6.39) and it worked a treat.

www.vulcantothesky.org - 2015, the last year to see a Vulcan fly

Repainting radiators? asalcedo UK diy 6 September 11th 14 04:22 PM
Repainting the brickwork Jason UK diy 9 November 5th 11 10:20 PM
Repainting WW'ing machinery Jay Pique Woodworking 13 February 5th 08 04:27 PM
baseboard repainting doug Home Repair 2 July 27th 07 11:39 AM
Repainting rattan suobs Woodworking 2 February 17th 07 09:32 PM