Posted to alt.home.repair

Default baseboard repainting

I have a section of baseboard I want to repaint. It has a lot of
contours (in and out; I don't know the correct nomenclature but its
sorta fancy looking) and I want to sand/scrape it first but ordinary
sandpaper or a putty knife won't do it well. What are practical
choices to sand/scrape the old paint before repainting it? I just
thought of a hand wire brush or perhaps a wire brush (??) that is on
the end of a drill bit but I'd like to know what the pro's would use.

thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Your best results would be from stripping it and scrubbing with a brass
brush (resembles a large toothbrush. Be certain to remove all stripper
before recoating. Light sanding of the smooth areas will also help, as
many strippers raise the grain.

I remove the baseboard first, as it is easier to work on that way, but
you have to be careful not to ruin the board when you are removing it,
as many of the older baseboards with contours are difficult to find and
expensive. Glue will often solve some problems, like splitting.

doug wrote:
I have a section of baseboard I want to repaint. It has a lot of
contours (in and out; I don't know the correct nomenclature but its
sorta fancy looking) and I want to sand/scrape it first but ordinary
sandpaper or a putty knife won't do it well. What are practical
choices to sand/scrape the old paint before repainting it? I just
thought of a hand wire brush or perhaps a wire brush (??) that is on
the end of a drill bit but I'd like to know what the pro's would use.

thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're just cleaning/scuffing the surface, go out and buy the 3M
sanding sponge -- about 1" thick and a bit bigger than a deck of
cards. It has sanding material on 4 sides.

The corners will get into the grooves and contours. They wear fairly
quickly-- the 'medium' ends up a 'fine', and the 'fine' ends up like
220 sandpaper. If they're too stiff to start, break them in by sanding
the flat areas [using all 4 sides]. If you're doing all the base in a
large room, I'd get two.

Anything heavy -- wood putty, big paint runs -- use sandpaper. Just
tear it in half widthwise, and fold each piece in half, twice, once
each way. That'll give you the folded edges you'll need to do the
grooves.

On Jul 19, 3:45 pm, doug wrote:
I have a section of baseboard I want to repaint. It has a lot of
contours (in and out; I don't know the correct nomenclature but its
sorta fancy looking) and I want to sand/scrape it first but ordinary
sandpaper or a putty knife won't do it well. What are practical
choices to sand/scrape the old paint before repainting it? I just
thought of a hand wire brush or perhaps a wire brush (??) that is on
the end of a drill bit but I'd like to know what the pro's would use.

thanks.

Hydronic elecric baseboard heater vs standard electric baseboard heater John Sevinsky Home Repair 7 March 5th 14 12:13 AM
Repainting rattan suobs Woodworking 2 February 17th 07 09:32 PM
Repainting a Bathroom [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 22nd 06 12:41 PM
Removing Wallpaper and Repainting rvfulltime (was xenman) Home Repair 6 October 25th 05 12:58 AM
Repainting kitchen cabinets Bob C UK diy 5 March 27th 05 10:13 PM