Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repainting a Bathroom

I am planning on repainting one of my bathrooms. It is a smaller sized
bathroom with a fiberglass tub insert, toilet, and sink. The walls
appear to be drywall but someone once told me that special drywall is
used for bathrooms.

My plan was to spackle some of the wall imperfections, sand, prime the
walls and ceiling and then repaint in my color of choice. I do have
the following questions though.

- Is it safe to use spackling mud in a bathroom or is there a special
mud I should use due to the higher concentration of moisture?

- Is there a special primer that should be used for a bathroom?

- Is there special paint that needs to be used for bathrooms?

Posted to alt.home.repair
cas cas is offline

wrote:
I am planning on repainting one of my bathrooms. It is a smaller sized
bathroom with a fiberglass tub insert, toilet, and sink. The walls
appear to be drywall but someone once told me that special drywall is
used for bathrooms.

I think that applies to new homes, my walls are plaster/lath.

My plan was to spackle some of the wall imperfections, sand, prime the
walls and ceiling and then repaint in my color of choice. I do have
the following questions though.

I just did this. It was easy enough to do.

- Is it safe to use spackling mud in a bathroom or is there a special
mud I should use due to the higher concentration of moisture?

I used the DAP vinyl spackle. Went on easy enough and looked great
after it dried and I sanded it.

- Is there a special primer that should be used for a bathroom?

I had some mold that I cleaned up (misted the place with bleach, then
wiped it). I used Killz2. It's been months since I used it and no signs
of mold. If you have mold, make sure it's nothing that is coming in
from inside the walls.

- Is there special paint that needs to be used for bathrooms?

Semi gloss. I did everything in it, walls/ceiling. Makes for a easier
clean up. You can get stuff that helps prevent mold from growing on the
paint too, it's an additive.

If you can put a vent fan in and run it while you're showering. I
bought one but haven't installed it (attic is hard to get to over the
bath and the outside wall is 3 stories up..I don't have the cajones to
stand on a ladder that high). Now I leave the bathroom door ajar or
crack a window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I pretty much use DAP Joint Compound (pre-mix) for all purposes
regarding fixing wall imperfections, cracks, etc. I am assuming that
once I use the mud, sand, and then put the primer and paint over it, it
will not matter since the primer and paint are what will protect the
spot from moisture.

Thanks for the advice regarding the semi-gloss. I will also check with
the paint dept. at Lowe's to see what they suggest.

Al Bundy wrote:
wrote in
ps.com:

The paint will be your first line of defense against moisture.
The spackle does not matter much but if you have the inclination one
of the dry mix types like durabond 90 will perform better than the
premixed buckets.
Anything you spackle will likely flash when painted so you will want
to prime and scuff sand it first.
wrote:
I am planning on repainting one of my bathrooms. It is a smaller
sized bathroom with a fiberglass tub insert, toilet, and sink. The
walls appear to be drywall but someone once told me that special
drywall is used for bathrooms.

My plan was to spackle some of the wall imperfections, sand, prime
the walls and ceiling and then repaint in my color of choice. I do
have the following questions though.

- Is it safe to use spackling mud in a bathroom or is there a special
mud I should use due to the higher concentration of moisture?

- Is there a special primer that should be used for a bathroom?

- Is there special paint that needs to be used for bathrooms?

Be nice to also mention that many dry mixes (like Durabond 90) are like
rock and not sandable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I pretty much use DAP Joint Compound (pre-mix) for all purposes
regarding fixing wall imperfections, cracks, etc. I am assuming that
once I use the mud, sand, and then put the primer and paint over it, it
will not matter since the primer and paint are what will protect the
spot from moisture.

Thanks for the advice regarding the semi-gloss. I will also check with
the paint dept. at Lowe's to see what they suggest.

I have always used - or as long as I can recall - oil semi for bath,
kitchen and wood trim in rest of house. I have paid no attention to
whether they contained mildewcide, and haven't used an additive. I have
wallpaper in two baths, had same in last house. Wallpaper in unvented
kitchen in previous house. No problems. Only time I have ever had
mildew growing outside of a shower stall was on the bath ceiling when I
had a small roof leak.

We repapered master bath about a year ago and put a timer on the exhaust
fan, which helps immensely. The whole master bed/bath stays rather
humid if we don't run the fan long enough.

A friend used to keep her bath window open a crack in summer, with AC
running. The AC vent was in a corner and aimed at the adjoining wall -
caused condensation and a patch of mildew. It just needed to be
redirected or the window closed.

There is an amazing amount of water in the air and on surfaces after
showers, it often runs down walls and doors - the reason I always paint
tops and bottoms of doors and caulk (very fine line) at bottom of wallpaper.

I am obsessive about paint prep - the job I hate - because I want the
paint to last. Clean, DRY and free of dust.