Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repainting the brickwork

I'm repainting the brickwork on the front of the house. This includes lintels,
bay window (stone bay with brickwork, also painted).

Now, I've peeled off all the lose and flaking paint, and that just leaves the
good paint that is firmly stuck to the stone and brick. However, painting over
that will show the edges of the old paintwork.

So what do I do?

* Should I sand the edges of the old masonry paint that is still intact, so it
it not such a sharp edge?

* Is there some kind of filler I can use to smooth off the edges of the paintwork?

* Do I actually need to strip it all off, good pain and bad, so I'm starting
with bare brick and stone?

Obviously I want the easiest path ;-) Any recommendations?

-- Jason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could sand the edges. Or you could use exterior grade Polyfilla to level it up. The first one is free (other than the sandpaper), the second one will cost you something and arguably may be a bit easier. You may have to go over the filler again once it's set because you'll probably have picked up bits of grit that leave grooves in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 9:46*pm, Jason wrote:
I'm repainting the brickwork on the front of the house. This includes lintels,
bay window (stone bay with brickwork, also painted).

Now, I've peeled off all the lose and flaking paint, and that just leaves the
good paint that is firmly stuck to the stone and brick. However, painting over
that will show the edges of the old paintwork.

So what do I do?

* Should I sand the edges of the old masonry paint that is still intact, so it
it not such a sharp edge?

* Is there some kind of filler I can use to smooth off the edges of the paintwork?

* Do I actually need to strip it all off, good pain and bad, so I'm starting
with bare brick and stone?

Obviously I want the easiest path ;-) Any recommendations?

Painted brickwork is so ugly. I'd be tempted to paint it with
something with a little bulk, such as basic lime paint, itll smooth
over the edges as well as anything will, with no tedious sanding work.
Its also easy to chemically remove one day when the other paint has
finally all come off, then you can have clean bare brick again.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 24, 6:32*pm, NT wrote:
On Oct 23, 9:46*pm, Jason wrote:

[...]

??? What do you mean by "basic lime paint"? If you mean "limewash"
that is the one finish that http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/ say
they can't sell you the means to remove - once it has carbonated, it's
limestone. (Actually, I suspect sodium silicate based paints might be
similarly difficult to remove.)

Also, limewash has much /less/ bulk than (eg) Snowcem (although it
looks almost infinitely less ugly).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2011 18:32, NT wrote:

* Should I sand the edges of the old masonry paint that is still intact, so it
it not such a sharp edge?

* Is there some kind of filler I can use to smooth off the edges of the paintwork?

* Do I actually need to strip it all off, good pain and bad, so I'm starting
with bare brick and stone?

Obviously I want the easiest path ;-) Any recommendations?

Painted brickwork is so ugly. I'd be tempted to paint it with
something with a little bulk, such as basic lime paint, itll smooth
over the edges as well as anything will, with no tedious sanding work.
Its also easy to chemically remove one day when the other paint has
finally all come off, then you can have clean bare brick again.

NT

The brickwork is used to fill in the three panels below the windows of the stone
bay, so we are not talking about vast stretches of brick wall. Some of the
bricks were spawled under the paint, and I have pulled them out and replaced
them. The rest of the front of the house (apart of lintels and window sills) is
bare brick though, and that is how I intend to keep it.

-- Jason

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 13:39, Jason wrote:
On 24/10/2011 18:32, NT wrote:

[...]

"Repainting the stonework (plus a small area of bricks)" would probably have
been a better title.

-- Jason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 25, 1:51*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Oct 24, 6:32*pm, NT wrote:

On Oct 23, 9:46*pm, Jason wrote:

[...]

I mean builders lime plus water. Names for lime paints are used
inconsistently.

that is the one finish thathttp://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/say
they can't sell you the means to remove - once it has carbonated, it's

lucky you. Acid will strip it all off in short order, at around a
fiver a gallon.

limestone. *(Actually, I suspect sodium silicate based paints might be
similarly difficult to remove.)

Also, limewash has much /less/ bulk than (eg) Snowcem (although it
looks almost infinitely less ugly).

It has as much or as little bulk as you please. Where surface texture
was poor I tried wiping it on undiluted with a rubber edge, it filled
the texture up fairly well. The other advantages of lime are extremely
low price, wont cause damp issues with historic properties, and drips
can just be hosed off the same day, so not worrying about drips makes
painting faster. The main caveat is it can be hostile to skin.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2011 21:46, Jason wrote:
I'm repainting the brickwork on the front of the house. This includes lintels,
bay window (stone bay with brickwork, also painted).

Now, I've peeled off all the lose and flaking paint, and that just leaves the
good paint that is firmly stuck to the stone and brick. However, painting over
that will show the edges of the old paintwork.

So what do I do?

* Should I sand the edges of the old masonry paint that is still intact, so it
it not such a sharp edge?

* Is there some kind of filler I can use to smooth off the edges of the paintwork?

* Do I actually need to strip it all off, good pain and bad, so I'm starting
with bare brick and stone?

Obviously I want the easiest path ;-) Any recommendations?

-- Jason

Just to follow up on this, I tried sanding the edges of the good paintwork, and
it turned out to be a hard job. The paint (Wickes masonry, about 16 years old)
turned out to be incredibly hard and simply would not sand down.

So I went for a fine paste of Polyfilla Exterier, and that worked a treat. It
went straight on, spread smooth, hid the edges of the old paint with no effort,
and has painted over without any sign of what is underneath. It tool half an
hour to do that, rather than what could have turned out to be a full day (or
more) of sanding.

-- Jason
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:10:28 +0000, Jason wrote:

Just to follow up on this, I tried sanding the edges of the good
paintwork, and it turned out to be a hard job. The paint (Wickes
masonry, about 16 years old) turned out to be incredibly hard and simply
would not sand down.

I was impressed by the Dulux Weathershield I punt on last year whe
attacking it with a wire brush to clean up the odd spot that has
failed (poor substrate mainly). Even going at it hard made almost no
impression on it.

So I went for a fine paste of Polyfilla Exterier, and that worked a
treat. It went straight on, spread smooth, hid the edges of the old
paint with no effort, and has painted over without any sign of what is
underneath.

I wonder how long it will last before the feathered filler flakes
off? I guess the masonary paint will protect it but I bet that will
be the bit that fails first.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Repainting semi-gloss? ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 October 25th 09 02:01 PM
Repainting WW'ing machinery Jay Pique Woodworking 13 February 5th 08 04:27 PM
baseboard repainting doug Home Repair 2 July 27th 07 11:39 AM
Repainting rattan suobs Woodworking 2 February 17th 07 09:32 PM
Repainting a Bathroom [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 22nd 06 12:41 PM