Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cement

How do you make cement more sticky? I'm trying to fix down a loose
paving stone (part of some steps). Have used cement:sand at 1:6 as
recommended on packet but it keeps coming loose again.

--
Les
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/15 10:54, Big Les Wade wrote:
How do you make cement more sticky? I'm trying to fix down a loose
paving stone (part of some steps). Have used cement:sand at 1:6 as
recommended on packet but it keeps coming loose again.

Damp the slab.

Paint the slab with some cement/water slurry.

Do both for the slab bed.

Use 3:1 mortar (stringest possible mix) *immediately* after applying
slurry which must still be wet, like a coat of honey.

I guarantee you will be hard pressed to separate them after that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2015 11:12, Tim Watts wrote:
On 19/06/15 10:54, Big Les Wade wrote:
How do you make cement more sticky? I'm trying to fix down a loose
paving stone (part of some steps). Have used cement:sand at 1:6 as
recommended on packet but it keeps coming loose again.

Damp the slab.

Paint the slab with some cement/water slurry.

Do both for the slab bed.

Use 3:1 mortar (stringest possible mix) *immediately* after applying
slurry which must still be wet, like a coat of honey.

I guarantee you will be hard pressed to separate them after that.

That will work...

Alternatively / additionally you could PVA the slab and bed (50:50
PVA/Water), then apply a cement slurry made with the same PVA mix in
place of the plain water. Only usually necessary for very absorbent stones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Big Les Wade wrote:
How do you make cement more sticky? I'm trying to fix down a loose
paving stone (part of some steps). Have used cement:sand at 1:6 as
recommended on packet but it keeps coming loose again.

1:6 is actually a very weak mix. Nearer 1:3 would be better. Paint the
surfaces with a dilute solution of PVA adhesive and leave to dry. Use PVA
in the gauging water too.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2015 10:54, Big Les Wade wrote:
How do you make cement more sticky? I'm trying to fix down a loose
paving stone (part of some steps). Have used cement:sand at 1:6 as
recommended on packet but it keeps coming loose again.

Dilute some PVA with water ... paint substrate & stone with solution.

Make mix 4:1 and include plasticiser (or washing up liquid) to water