Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Meter tail question

Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer to her Victorian flat that she's just
bought. As it happens, it would be nice to move the meter and consumer unit
from their present position and now would probably be a good time to ask
the electricity board folk if they could move the meter.

The trouble is, it might take a wee while to get a sparky organised to move
the consumer unit close to the repositioned meter (assuming that this might
happen). How far away from an existing consumer unit can a meter be moved?
It would be nice to put the meter in another room but if that's not
possible, a high level meter and consumer unit (just 1.5 to 2m from present
position) would be a lot less visually intrusive. No doubt everything has
to be low level and accessible these days though. Is a high level meter and
consumer unit allowed?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer to her Victorian flat that she's just
bought. As it happens, it would be nice to move the meter and consumer unit
from their present position and now would probably be a good time to ask
the electricity board folk if they could move the meter.

The trouble is, it might take a wee while to get a sparky organised to move
the consumer unit close to the repositioned meter (assuming that this might
happen). How far away from an existing consumer unit can a meter be moved?

Any distance you like. If it's more than 3m, then they will usually
require a switchfuse next to the meter (the exact limit depends on
the local supply network policy and staff).

It would be nice to put the meter in another room but if that's not
possible, a high level meter and consumer unit (just 1.5 to 2m from present
position) would be a lot less visually intrusive. No doubt everything has
to be low level and accessible these days though. Is a high level meter and
consumer unit allowed?

If that floor of the house currently conforms to Part M of the building
regs on height of electrical accessories, then yes, it should be
accessible.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 June 2015 22:09:54 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer

Oh do tell ...

Anyway, if you leave a nice switchfuse ready for the meter-mover, eg
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGMSF100.html
then he will connect the meter to the supply side of that and test.

(You should also leave appropriate main equipotential bonding to the main earth terminal and a flying earth lead available if the earthing is supplied by the supplier.)

You can then extend from the switchfuse to the consumer unit after he's gone with any ropey old bit of flex you can find :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Monday, 15 June 2015 22:09:54 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer

Oh do tell ...

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old gas
light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide whether it
was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We didn't really want
the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned for that area. The
obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole and see what dribbled
out (after turning off water and gas).

Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Electricity board came out and as we'd blown a fuse somewhere that had cut
off the upstairs flats and the terraced neighbour, they had to find the
single incomer for all the flats (which took them *ages).

Turned out that like the bypass plans in the Hitchhikers Guide to the
Galaxy, it was very helpfully hidden in a back bedroom, behind a false
wall, behind a radiator.

Anyhow, long story short, as the set-up is archaic they are going to
upgrade the incomers to all the properties gratis.

Anyway, if you leave a nice switchfuse ready for the meter-mover, eg
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CGMSF100.html
then he will connect the meter to the supply side of that and test.

(You should also leave appropriate main equipotential bonding to the main
earth terminal and a flying earth lead available if the earthing is
supplied by the supplier.)

You can then extend from the switchfuse to the consumer unit after he's
gone with any ropey old bit of flex you can find :-)

Thanks, that's very helpful.

As a follow up question, at present a bundle of wires converge on the
present consumer unit (small house, just 6 fuses). If the consumer unit was
moved would the sparky just extend all the present wires with
joins/connectors or is it more complicated than that?

Tim

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 23:21:30 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter
is getting a nice new mains incomer

Oh do tell ...

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old
gas light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide
whether it was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We
didn't really want the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned
for that area. The obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole
and see what dribbled out (after turning off water and gas).

Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Bet that gave you a surprise, if you were thinking it was gas...

Electricity board came out and as we'd blown a fuse somewhere that had
cut off the upstairs flats and the terraced neighbour, they had to find
the single incomer for all the flats (which took them *ages).

Turned out that like the bypass plans in the Hitchhikers Guide to the
Galaxy, it was very helpfully hidden in a back bedroom, behind a false
wall, behind a radiator.

Anyhow, long story short, as the set-up is archaic they are going to
upgrade the incomers to all the properties gratis.

Anybody'd think you knew that and did it deliberately...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 June 2015 23:21:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame ...
Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Sounds like a nice piece of pyro.

As a follow up question, at present a bundle of wires converge on the
present consumer unit (small house, just 6 fuses). If the consumer unit was
moved would the sparky just extend all the present wires with
joins/connectors or is it more complicated than that?

DIN rail terminals in an enclosure have been used in the past
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/cu1.jpg

but then you have to extend 6x circuit cables to the new CU location, so running extended tails may be easier. At least temporarily. See observations made in thread

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...-y/qA2l4MD4ppM

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 22:52:59 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

[...]

I suppose that's what they call Pyro technics.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/15 22:09, Tim+ wrote:
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer to her Victorian flat that she's just
bought. As it happens, it would be nice to move the meter and consumer unit
from their present position and now would probably be a good time to ask
the electricity board folk if they could move the meter.

The trouble is, it might take a wee while to get a sparky organised to move
the consumer unit close to the repositioned meter (assuming that this might
happen). How far away from an existing consumer unit can a meter be moved?
It would be nice to put the meter in another room but if that's not
possible, a high level meter and consumer unit (just 1.5 to 2m from present
position) would be a lot less visually intrusive.

Ask the DNO (the supply operator, not the company you pay necessarily) -
EDF (now UKPower) stipulated 3m max on the tails between meter and CU.
I've heard of 5m in one case.

If you exceed the max, the usual solution is to add a switch-fuse nearer
the meter, then you can do what you like, subject to routing a cable
that has no RCD protection.

No doubt everything has
to be low level and accessible these days though. Is a high level meter and
consumer unit allowed?

Part M is not retrospective generally so for a refurb you can stick it
where you like. I had to put mine over a doorway as there was no other
sensible location that would not have been a complete pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/15 22:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If that floor of the house currently conforms to Part M of the building
regs on height of electrical accessories, then yes, it should be
accessible.)

And there's a side case I may have overlooked.

But a part M compliant floor will be obvious in that the sockets will be
unusually high off the floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/15 23:21, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, 15 June 2015 22:09:54 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy by yours truly, my daughter is
getting a nice new mains incomer

Oh do tell ...

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old gas
light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide whether it
was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We didn't really want
the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned for that area. The
obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole and see what dribbled
out (after turning off water and gas).

Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Ah - so you had a feed in MICC. I've seen that done once.

Electricity board came out and as we'd blown a fuse somewhere that had cut
off the upstairs flats and the terraced neighbour, they had to find the
single incomer for all the flats (which took them *ages).

Bet you are Mr Popular!

[...]

No - that's about the sum of it.

Assuming he does not find any show stopping problems - he will test each
circuit before reconnecting it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Tim+ writes:
[...]

Fortunately it doesn't. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, Tim+ wrote:

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old gas
light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide whether it
was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We didn't really want
the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned for that area. The
obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole and see what dribbled
out (after turning off water and gas).

Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 10:00:06 UTC+1, Adam Funk wrote:
Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)

Wouldn't have to be that large - if the original supply was 40 amp then 0.007 inch^2 is tabled at 45A; modern equivalent 4mm2 is only 7 mm external diameter.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, Tim+ wrote:

Weeeell, this was this manky old bit of small bore copper pipe behind a
door frame and leading up to where it looked like there has been an old gas
light fitting on the other side of the wall. Couldn't decide whether it
was an odd water pipe size or a redundant gas pipe. We didn't really want
the pipe there as a new shower enclosure is planned for that area. The
obvious way to find out seemed to be to drill a hole and see what dribbled
out (after turning off water and gas).

Turned out to be full of sparks. ;-)

Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)

Yep. Just monumental stupidity on my part. Just because I've never seen
visible armoured cable in any house I've lived in isn't a good reason to
assume that all copper pipe is just "pipe". ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in a building I was in a while ago, the meters for the flats were in a
utility cupboard outside the flats, above the top shelf with a kickstep
thing in the bottom so the reader can see it.

I'd imagine after reading a few of these and going up and down the steps the
reader would need knee replacement surgery!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,
Tim+ writes:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2015-06-15, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like
copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)

Yep. Just monumental stupidity on my part. Just because I've never seen
visible armoured cable in any house I've lived in isn't a good reason to
assume that all copper pipe is just "pipe". ;-)

Ages ago in Shepherds' Bush, London, a pal split a large house into three
self contained flats. Each had its own meter, etc. The leccy board
insisted the feed from the riser in the cellar to each meter was run in
Pyro. SWA would have been easier as Pyro work hardens as it is bent.

Seems at that time different leccy boards made the regs to suit themselves.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like
copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).

The sort of MI you'd use as a main feed isn't like microbore CH pipe. ;-)

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)

Yep. Just monumental stupidity on my part. Just because I've never seen
visible armoured cable in any house I've lived in isn't a good reason to
assume that all copper pipe is just "pipe". ;-)

Ages ago in Shepherds' Bush, London, a pal split a large house into three
self contained flats. Each had its own meter, etc. The leccy board
insisted the feed from the riser in the cellar to each meter was run in
Pyro. SWA would have been easier as Pyro work hardens as it is bent.

Seems at that time different leccy boards made the regs to suit
themselves.

They did, my brother in law, in the midlands area, was reqwring his house
and garage which then had to be checked. "You haven't got a lock on the
garage, so it's a supply in a public place - we can't connect you." "But
we'll wait while you go and buy a padlock."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/15 17:06, Adam Funk wrote:

I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like
copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).

Yeah - I think someone is confusing terms...

I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the
meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as you
say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like
copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).

The sort of MI you'd use as a main feed isn't like microbore CH pipe. ;-)

Well, it could be - around 10mm OD IIRC. Larger microbore...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-16, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:
I've never (well, AFAIK, anyway) seen armored cable that looked like
copper pipe (other than the MI that looks like microbore CH pipe).

The sort of MI you'd use as a main feed isn't like microbore CH pipe. ;-)

No, I haven't seen it, but I don't claim that means it doesn't exist.
Our main feed is one of those antique but sturdy ones with the steel
tape coiled around it. It can't be mistaken for anything else in the
house. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 15/06/15 22:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If that floor of the house currently conforms to Part M of the building
regs on height of electrical accessories, then yes, it should be
accessible.)

And there's a side case I may have overlooked.

Tell them it's that high in case of flooding:-) You could get away with that
one.

As Part M only applys to new builds you are safe from the Part M police.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop
that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I
went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong
shop -the staff in that shop were not happy.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the
meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as you
say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.

No. More like 15mm tube.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 June 2015 21:20:12 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop
that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I
went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong
shop

Oops.

I'd love to hear what one of your apprentices thought of that act of genius.

-the staff in that shop were not happy.

Really? How strange. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I
went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong
shop -the staff in that shop were not happy.

Several times I've waited at the front door to the flat above my shop
waiting for a tradesman, only to have him phone me complaining that
he's arrived and can't find the door. Turns out he's wandering around
in the yard behind the shop next door.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Yikes! I guess you & the building are OK, though. Was it some kind
of large mineral-insulated cable? (That's the only kind I can think
of off-hand that looks like copper pipe.)

Yep. Just monumental stupidity on my part. Just because I've never seen
visible armoured cable in any house I've lived in isn't a good reason to
assume that all copper pipe is just "pipe". ;-)

Ages ago in Shepherds' Bush, London, a pal split a large house into three
self contained flats. Each had its own meter, etc. The leccy board
insisted the feed from the riser in the cellar to each meter was run in
Pyro. SWA would have been easier as Pyro work hardens as it is bent.

Seems at that time different leccy boards made the regs to suit themselves.

No, at one time pyro' was the only fire resistant cable type available.
(which is why it is used extensively in fire alarm installations)

That would be why they specified it, fire reistance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the
meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as you
say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.

No. More like 15mm tube.

Actually 1/2". As suggested, this was between a shared incomer and the
meter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap7oa6wzq6...mer2.jpeg?dl=0

The disconnected tails are for the feed to the flat whose cable I drilled
through.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abtu9jj1nw...mer1.jpeg?dl=0

Note handy accessible position behind radiator and false wall (both
removed).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/al4wxazk5z...oops.jpeg?dl=0

What not to do.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop
that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I
went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong
shop

Oops.

I'd love to hear what one of your apprentices thought of that act of
genius.

Well as one helped me break in then I can tell you he was ****ing himself
when the alarm went off as the door opened and I said "Aw **** it's the
wrong door".

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-17, Tim+ wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the
meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as you
say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.

No. More like 15mm tube.

Actually 1/2". As suggested, this was between a shared incomer and the
meter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap7oa6wzq6...mer2.jpeg?dl=0

The disconnected tails are for the feed to the flat whose cable I drilled
through.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abtu9jj1nw...mer1.jpeg?dl=0

Note handy accessible position behind radiator and false wall (both
removed).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/al4wxazk5z...oops.jpeg?dl=0

What not to do.

I see what you mean about it looking like pipework.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop
that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I
went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong
shop

Oops.

I'd love to hear what one of your apprentices thought of that act of genius.

Yeah, me too! OTOH, I'm sure this was an honest cock-up, not caused
by futzing around on Facebook while hammering.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
I *have* seen MICC used as an extension to the incomer *before* the
meter (well, 2nd meter) in a house. And it was quite chunky and as
you say, could be confused with a bit of microbore.

No. More like 15mm tube.

Actually 1/2". As suggested, this was between a shared incomer and the
meter.

The stuff I remember was MICC 2H16 and orange PVC covered. From memory, it
looked larger than the common copper cold water pipe.

Most of the MI you tend to see is much lower current therefore smaller.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2015 17:37, Ash Burton wrote:
In article
,

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Why do you need fire resistance for a fire alarm, shirley its better to
do it like burglar alarms and sound the alarm if a wire burns through.
It just needs SABs like burglar alarms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2015 21:19, ARW wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message

Thanks to a monumental bit of DIY idiocy

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop
that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when
I went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the
wrong shop -the staff in that shop were not happy.

I assume they are often not labelled to make it less easy for villains
to pick the shop with the most attractive contents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 June 2015 20:45:18 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Why do you need fire resistance for a fire alarm, shirley its better to
do it like burglar alarms and sound the alarm if a wire burns through.

It used to be the case that detector wiring didn't have to be in fire-safe cable as the detector circuits were monitored and the system would alarm.

It just needs SABs like burglar alarms.

Burglar alarms usually have one or two bells; fire alarm systems may have dozens or even hundreds in a large hotel requiring sounders near every bedhead. Burglar alarm bells are usually wired in multi-core cable and still don't usually have a bell battery feedback loop to the controller. The cabling and maintenance burden of hundreds of SABs all with individual batteries and all reporting back to the controller would be unwieldy.

Burglar alarms are to provide warning of intrusion; they are not a primary security system and they are not a life protection system.

Owain