Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Link detached houses and property boundaries ?

If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

In this sketch for example, which of the 2 property boundaries is most
likely?
http://tinypic.com/r/2bblgm/8

If it's relevant, the garage roofs are supported by beams set into the
walls of the 2 adjoining houses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't detached.

I was thinking about a flying freehold type of property, with two houses
linked by a bedroom across a shared alleyway. I saw one on Downs Road
recently.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 June 2015 18:22:25 UTC+1, FullyDetached wrote:
If it's relevant, the garage roofs are supported by beams set into the
walls of the 2 adjoining houses.

Property line at edge of wall with a right of support to the beam for the attached garage belonging to the neighbour.

.... would be the simple way of doing it, but you're probably in England where they haven't quite sorted out property law yet.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ours is similar the bungalow is linked to the next by a car port. The supporting beams are attached to our fascia boards on that side and the top felt layer extends under the the second row of roof tiles. There is a covenant in the deeds that states we are only part liable for the downspout and gutter as it drains that side of our roof into a gully on the neighbours side as well as the flat roof of the car port. The covenant also makes provision for access for maintenance of the wall and fascia as well as access to the sewers which pass from our property and link to the neighbours sewer at a man hole on his drive. As far as any other responsibility for the car port roof that is entirely the neighbours responsibility only that we have to allow him to join onto our roof as is the case now.

The car port roof already has a few leaks and the neighbour has indicated he would remove it rather than replace or repair if it got worse. If he did remove the car port technically it would leave part of our roof, fascia and any guttering that would have to be installed there over the neighbours property, wether that would mean any amendment to the covenant I am not sure but I am sure there are plenty of lawyers willing to relieve me of some of our money to sort it out.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't
detached.

It's a term estate agents have thought up for the particular design.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't
detached.

It's a term estate agents have thought up for the particular design.

Typical liars - a link is, generally, used for /attaching/, so a row of
these would be a terrace.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't
detached.

There is a large house near here, with roads on three sides. The house
began life as detached, with fairly substantial grounds, and entrances
from two roads, one at front, the other behind. Years ago, part of the
rear of the house was converted to a self contained granny annexe which
was subsequently extended. Rear entrance from road behind now serves
only the annexe. The owner of the large house moved from that house to
the annexe, then sold the house via a large, very well known national
estate agent who marketed the house as detached. Detached? How can it
possibly be described as detached?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:

[...]

My house is a semi, but is about four bricks higher than the
other half. This means that my roof extends beyond the centreline
of the party wall, or does it? I don't recall any special mention
in the deeds.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Jun 2015 20:31:30 GMT Huge wrote :
"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't
detached.

Loads of Wates link detached chalets in my old BCO patch of New
Malden - you can walk round them and they're joined to next door by
an arch. Legend had it that when built in the 1930s the rates were
less because they were classed as semi-detached, being joined to
another property.

http://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/37101941

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't detached.

I was thinking about a flying freehold type of property, with two houses
linked by a bedroom across a shared alleyway. I saw one on Downs Road
recently.

That's a terrace to me. It's not a flying freehold either - the
passageway probably belongs to the same house as the bedroom, and the
other will have a right of way.

There's a house down the road from us with a flying freehold. One room's
ceiling is the other house's bedroom floor.

AIUI link detached has a garage joining them - so no adjacent habitable
rooms.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
[...]

I've seen link-detached houses where the garages sit between and join
the houses. That's not too bad as they are practically detaches from a
noise POV assuming noone uses their garage as a drum shed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

"Link detached" is an estate agent's term for a posh terraced house.

Round here they use "palisaded villa" for that, "link detached" as other
have mentioned generally seems to be applied to houses that are attached
only via garages or car-ports, and it does seem worth having a term for
that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2015 22:26, Huge wrote:
OTOH, IMO, if you can see the neighbours, they're too close.

The neighbours at the side are too close then.

The ones at the bottom - well, I've seen a helicopter go between us

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

spuorg wrote:
... would be the simple way of doing it, but you're probably in England where
they haven't quite sorted out property law yet.

Give it time, they've only been muddling through for 950 years.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
writes

On 2015-06-15, FullyDetached wrote:
If understand correctly, property boundaries usually run through the
middle of walls with terraced and semi-detached houses, but what about
link-detached houses?

aka "terraced" houses.

"Link detached", my arse. If you can't walk round it, it isn't
detached.

It's a term estate agents have thought up for the particular design.

Typical liars - a link is, generally, used for /attaching/, so a row of
these would be a terrace.

Town house - please or better still mews.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
On 2015-06-16, Andy Burns wrote:
Huge wrote:

"Link detached" is an estate agent's term for a posh terraced house.

Round here they use "palisaded villa" for that, "link detached" as other
have mentioned generally seems to be applied to houses that are attached
only via garages or car-ports, and it does seem worth having a term for
that.

We've got one; "terraced".

(BTW, I'm just fighting a likely losing battle against "estate agent speak".
Probably prompted by the fact I'm presently engaged in the depressing task
of looking for a house to retire to.)

What does "deceptively large" mean? Bigger than it looks or not as big
as it looks?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/15 14:46, bert wrote:

What does "deceptively large" mean? Bigger than it looks or not as big
as it looks?

"Reassuringly expensive"!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/06/15 14:46, bert wrote:

What does "deceptively large" mean? Bigger than it looks or not as big
as it looks?

'deceptively spacious' could mean either but if the photos/plans show
something that looks large I can't imagine an agent warning you that it
is really quite small. So it means 'we are trying to counter the obvious
first impression that it's a miserable little hutch'.

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-06-18, DJC wrote:

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few weeks.

Try a sensible country?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2015-06-18, DJC wrote:

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few weeks.

To be fair:

1. Aug 2013. After a survey and a structural engineer's report, decided
cost of renovation of nice wreck in nice location would not only exceed
likely value restored but bust my budget.

2. June 2014. Sale of my property fell through so not in position to
make cash offer for perfect house in fair location.

3. January 2015. Buyer of my flat dragging feet so unable to make
proceedable offer on near perfect house in desirable location.

4. April 2015. Stupid (or bad faith?) buyer has spun things out so long
his mortgage offer has expired. So unable to make fully competitive
offer on near perfect wreck in very desirable location.

And this I might add selling a flat in London that has buyers queuing up
to make offers. Unfortunately they seem so anxious to make an offer they
only make up their mind later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 2015-06-18, DJC wrote:

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few
weeks.

Try a sensible country?

I am presently in Italy, where I could buy the appartment I currently
rent year round for less than a quarter of the value of my (smaller)
London flat. It is tempting but€¦

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2015-06-18, DJC wrote:

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few weeks.

We've been looking for two years, too, but just generally, not with
anything specific in mind. One problem is what and where? In the past,
moving has always been related to a specific need such as location, for
work. Having now retired, the world is theoretically our oyster, which
makes the whole business far more complicated, even though it shouldn't.

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move. Then
again, we like where we are, but the house is too big, or will be, as
the years pass. Don't know about you, but right through my 40s and into
my 50s, time and life seemed almost infinite. Now, in my 60s, I have
finally accepted that there is an end in sight, or at least a major
slowing down as the years pass. I am now at the age my Dad died, yet my
Mum is 91 and still going, albeit slowly, living in a flat. Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

The answer, of course, is to do nothing. Just stay here until forced to
make a decision.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , DJC writes
On 2015-06-18, DJC wrote:

I've now spent two years looking for a property to retire to, I despair.

Jesus, I don't want to hear that, we've only been looking for a few weeks.

4. April 2015. Stupid (or bad faith?) buyer has spun things out so long
his mortgage offer has expired. So unable to make fully competitive
offer on near perfect wreck in very desirable location.

And this I might add selling a flat in London that has buyers queuing
up to make offers. Unfortunately they seem so anxious to make an offer
they only make up their mind later.

Where and how much? Mail addy works. My daughter wants a flat in London.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

Really depends on how far you want to go.

Some choose to move into a retirement village. The one my dad picked
himself was so well organised that quite a few chose to move in there
while they were still working. It had a full licensed restaurant that would
deliver meals to the units using golf buggys and had a doctor who visited
the units as required with nurses that did other stuff like change dressings
etc as required in your own unit and included a full nursing home for when
you needed that.

Not something that appeals to me tho.

One obvious approach is to choose a last house that is only a single
level which can be used with a wheelchair etc if that becomes necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms
for when stairs become tricky.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris J Dixon
writes

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

Chris, I don't know. When I say last house, I suppose I mean last house
before care home or similar, because I'm 62 and not ready to live all on
one level, no garden, stair lift etc. I'm just trying to balance how we
are now with how we may be in ten or twenty years. Having spent my last
12 working years behind a PO counter, and watched my Mum, I am well
aware that although life can go on perfectly happily, there are limits.
At the same time, I have to believe that I'll live another 30 years,
otherwise everything is pointless.

We will probably stay where we are for a few more years, then think
about moving to a smaller house or even the dreaded bungalow, smaller,
easier to maintain garden, proximity to shops etc. Perhaps a much newer
property, with minimal maintenance requirements.

We currently have one advantage in that, although this house is large,
and expensive to run, our former PO is part of the building. We have
retired, the PO business has relocated but the unit has been let. The
income from that more than offsets the savings to be achieved by moving
to a smaller house.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer.

For most men, that's called a "wife".

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2015 22:28, Huge wrote:

(BTW, I'm just fighting a likely losing battle against "estate agent speak".
Probably prompted by the fact I'm presently engaged in the depressing task
of looking for a house to retire to.)

I live in a part of Southend on Sea with streets of terrace houses
built 1900 to 1930. The area has being going slightly downhill for the
past 20 years with more properties being buy to let and with short term
tenants who couldn't care a s**t, albeit with most houses in the area in
a good state of repair (externally).

For the past few years all the local estate agents are marketing
properties in the area as being in "Southchurch Village". On the 1843?
OS map a village doesn't appear in this location and there sure ain't
one now. It's urban sprawl that followed the railways line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/06/2015 23:37, DJC wrote:

And this I might add selling a flat in London that has buyers queuing up
to make offers. Unfortunately they seem so anxious to make an offer they
only make up their mind later.

Rent it out and buy somewhere else. You can sell it in a few years time
when its doubled in value.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2015 09:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms
for when stairs become tricky.

You want to remarry?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/15 09:31, Mike Barnes wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer.

For most men, that's called a "wife".

Er no.

Wives will in general realise that a dead husband is infinitely
preferable to a live on that needs caring.

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/15 09:31, Mike Barnes wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer.

For most men, that's called a "wife".

Er no.

Far more have a wife that survives them than
who have a live in carer who is not their wife.

Wives will in general realise that a dead husband is infinitely preferable
to a live on that needs caring.

Must be why so many organise for him to be dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer.

For most men, that's called a "wife".

Yes. She does an excellent job. However her family have a history of
Alzheimer's. Most of my lot seem to die from cancer so I am trying to
plan for a worst case scenario.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
"dennis@home" writes
News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms
for when stairs become tricky.

You want to remarry?

No. I'm happy with my first choice. Just *worst case* planning.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/20/2015 9:08 AM, Tim Lamb wrote:
writes

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms
for when stairs become tricky.

We've been looking into costs for converting our attached 2-car garage
into living quarters, with a handicap-friendly shower room. To be used
as a workshop/hobby room initially (and the extra shower room will be
handy), but potentially an easy access master suite, with a live-in
carer installed in our bedroom in the main house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 08:52:28 +0100 Chris J Dixon wrote :
Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not
being able to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

I now live in a high rise flat in Melbourne Docklands. Back in 2009
a bike accident put me on crutches for six weeks, and that made me
realise that this will be an OK place to live when/if I get to be
old and decrepit - no steps, basic shops at ground floor level, PT
and taxi rank on my doorstep.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move. Then
again, we like where we are, but the house is too big, or will be, as
the years pass. Don't know about you, but right through my 40s and into
my 50s, time and life seemed almost infinite. Now, in my 60s, I have
finally accepted that there is an end in sight, or at least a major
slowing down as the years pass.

Yes that ****es me off too!. Still I like the job a lot, its my own
outfit anyway, and have decided that retirement at 70 isn't that bad a
thing or perhaps a partial retirement.

My old dad popped his clogs when he was 83 so thats another 20 years all
being well and when I look back to 20 years ago that did seem a long
time away.

OK its an illusion which suits me fine, others I know find comfort in
their religion the one that'll save 'em;!.

What do you do when your retired?, can't play golf all the time or
holiday you'd get fed up with it wouldn't you?..

I am now at the age my Dad died, yet my
Mum is 91 and still going, albeit slowly, living in a flat. Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

;!..

The answer, of course, is to do nothing. Just stay here until forced to
make a decision.

Or let that bitch nature take her inevitable course;-(...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , Chris J Dixon
writes
News wrote:

We could go anywhere, although hope this will be the last move.

Popping my
clogs doesn't worry me - it is just running out of steam, not being able
to do much.

In selecting a "last house" what are the thoughts on the ways to
anticipate coping with various levels of infirmity?

My ambition is to liberate enough capital to invest towards a future
*live in* carer. The accommodation needs ground floor bedrooms/bathrooms
for when stairs become tricky.

Like the idea of that, some nubile Asian girl takes me fancy..
--
Tony Sayer