Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plywood cutting

I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and
the cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp blade,
I think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter a toss
in my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the
cut edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:

plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

IME (with 18mm ply and 12mm MDF) They've always given nice clean cuts,
ask them to demonstrate on an offcut from the scrap bin first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 12:06:15 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Syd Rumpo wrote:

plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

IME (with 18mm ply and 12mm MDF) They've always given nice clean cuts,
ask them to demonstrate on an offcut from the scrap bin first?

To do it right you would need a machine with a scoring blade otherwise it will splinter on cross cutting.

Some recommend taping the cut line before cutting but I haven't tried that myself as I have access to a machine with a scoring blade.

An alternative you might try is having it cut oversize and then trimming with a router.

It should only splinter on one side so you may be able to make allowances for the splintering by ensuring it is hidden on assembly..

Don't believe anyone who says they have a magic blade that doesn't splinter. If such a blade existed industry would not spend money on machines with scoring blades.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and
the cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp blade,
I think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter a toss
in my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the
cut edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers

If they set the blade so that it only just gets through the wood it will
attack the surface at an angle and that greatly reduces splintering.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Syd Rumpo wrote:
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and the
cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp blade, I
think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter a toss in
my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the cut
edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers

If they set the blade so that it only just gets through the wood it will
attack the surface at an angle and that greatly reduces splintering.

Yes, this is the way to go.

Or you can score the cut with a Stanley knife and make the saw cut on the
"waste" side of the score.
The outer lamination of faced plies is very thin, you can easily cut right
through it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and the
cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp blade, I
think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter a toss in
my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the cut
edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these places
usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers

If they set the blade so that it only just gets through the wood it will
attack the surface at an angle and that greatly reduces splintering.

Yes, this is the way to go.

Or you can score the cut with a Stanley knife and make the saw cut on the
"waste" side of the score.
The outer lamination of faced plies is very thin, you can easily cut right
through it.

he would need to score two cuts equalling the thickness of the teeth on the main saw blade. Not an easy task to carry out if there is any length to the cut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2015 14:46, Bill Wright wrote:
Syd Rumpo wrote:
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and
the cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp
blade, I think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter
a toss in my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the
cut edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these
places usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers

If they set the blade so that it only just gets through the wood it will
attack the surface at an angle and that greatly reduces splintering.

Bill

And tell the bugger to take it slowly while keeping pressure on the sheet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

If you need a clean cut with a circular saw, make the cut twice - the
first with the blade set to just knick the surface about 1mm deep, then
cut again with a full depth pass.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

In fact, as per:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...saw_techniques

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
I had some plywood sheet cut to size in B&Q a couple of years ago and
the cut edges were quite splintery and ragged - a not very sharp
blade, I think and the operator almost said as much. It didn't matter
a toss in my application.

However, now I need some 12mm ply sheets cut where the quality of the
cut edge does matter. What should I reasonably expect? Do these
places usually make good quality cuts?

Cheers

If they set the blade so that it only just gets through the wood it will
attack the surface at an angle and that greatly reduces splintering.

Bill

It can also depend on quality of ply ... I bought somne sheets from
Local timber merchants - although rated as standard WBP it had a much
darker ply on one side ... and that splints very easily .... I had to
score with knife to get any decent finish.

Also after only 6 months in place this outer dark ply is rippling ...
will never buy this stuff again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGrxUwYA8Uk

FF to 3:50 to see how this saw copes with plywood.

Mafell make excellent tools IMHO. Expensive but .............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

Blimey, they're talking about the scribing cut being automatically
offset by 0.1 mm. Precision stuff compared to my Power Devil :-)

Cutting only plywood stuck on chipboard Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 12 April 7th 09 08:40 PM
Cutting plywood Ted[_10_] Home Repair 5 November 7th 08 12:37 AM
Plywood Edging Flush Cutting Jig Vic Woodworking 1 November 20th 06 01:25 PM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
cutting slots in plywood [email protected] Woodworking 18 March 25th 06 01:21 PM