Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting only plywood stuck on chipboard

I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

I am reluctant to build the new tray higher and go on top because that
would mean a lot more tiling and the tiles are old and no longer available.

TIA for any ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hard to follow what the problem is without a piccy, but sounds like
you need to attach a batten and either follow it with a smallish
router set to the correct depth to just get through the ply but not
the chip - or get hold of a fein multimaster (or bosch equivalent) and
follow a similar procedure.

The multimaster is the tool that will get anywhere, though a router
will giv you a better finish.

Or, with skill and patience, hand chisel it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

I am reluctant to build the new tray higher and go on top because that
would mean a lot more tiling and the tiles are old and no longer available.

TIA for any ideas.

Angle-grinder?

They will cut wood, not very well, but handy occasionally. They burn
it a lot though, might not be too good for the vinyl. You need to keep
a separate disc for wood cutting, it makes a mess of the disc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I will go.
2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset
shower tray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I will go.
2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset
shower tray.

You just need a 1m x 0.8m chisel....

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I will go.
2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset
shower tray.

You could do the straight bits with the circular saw...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Invisible Man wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without
weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I
will go.
2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset
shower tray.

You could do the straight bits with the circular saw...

Probably will but with a 550mm radius on the corner there is a lot of
corner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Invisible Man
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Invisible Man
writes
I am putting in a larger offset shower tray.
Chipboard floor is in good condition and joists are in suitable
positions to take weight.

Flooring up to edge of old shower tray is vinyl fake wood lathes stuck
to fairly thin ply stuck to the chipboard.

I need to cut back the ply to the edge of the new tray without weakening
the chipboard. Any idea how?
Circular saw will not follow bend of offset.
Jigsaw would need to go through chipboard to be accurate.
Stanley knife is not tough enough.

A good sharp chisel (+ mallet) should sort this out in 2 mins flat.

Thanks to those who suggested a chisel. That is probably the way I will go.
2 minutes could be pushing it for the border of a 1000 x 800 offset
shower tray.

I thought I'd set you a challenge ;-)

You could probably rough it out quite quickly, leaving a few mm which
you could go back over to get it really tidy..
--
fred

Cutting plywood Ted[_10_] Home Repair 5 November 7th 08 12:37 AM
Recommendation for reasonably priced, high quality 10" blade for cutting birch plywood and oak-veneer plywood blueman Woodworking 9 October 31st 06 09:45 PM
cutting slots in plywood [email protected] Woodworking 18 March 25th 06 01:21 PM
Laying plywood over chipboard, best way to attch [email protected] UK diy 3 March 8th 06 05:21 PM
cutting chipboard [email protected] UK diy 12 April 17th 05 11:29 AM