Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea kitchen LED lighting

I've bought a number of Ikea's OMLOPP LED under-cupboard lights
to replace our CFL lights, which seem to be dying faster than they should.
The OMLOPP lights come with a transformer with 24 volt output.
The wires from the transformer are not quite long enough
to reach some of our cupboards, and I'm wondering if
they can be safely cut and extended.

There is a warning somewhere suggesting that this is not a good idea.
I'm just wondering if the connecting wires can have any other function,
eg a specified resistance that must be balanced between different lights,
or if they are just standard low-voltage electrical wiring.
(They look like standard bell wires.)

The connecting wires have tiny connectors for plugging into the transformer
which I have never seen anywhere else.
I did wonder if one could get extension wires, but Maplin don't seem to have
anything appropriate.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/15 15:12, Timothy Murphy wrote:
[...]

I doubt the cable is factored in - the LEDs should either be constant
current or constant voltage drive. In any case, splicing in a yard is
not likely to make any difference. Crimps and heatshrink, lever Wagos,
or an inline coupler like:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBJB002.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

[...]