Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing damaged vinyl floor

Any thoughts on how best to tackle this?
http://i61.tinypic.com/iwpvfp.jpg

It's Carpetright vinyl flooring - quite a thick type - it was glued to the
concrete floor over the whole area rather than just taped round the edges
in an effort to prevent this sort of thing (I think probably caused by a
dragging chair leg).

I know it's probably going to need replacing but I thought I'd give a
repair it a whirl first. Possibilities I'm thinking of:

1. Make a short cut along one of the lines between the 'floorboards' and
squirt a load of no-nails underneath, then leave to set with as much weight
as I can muster pressing down on top

2. Apply an iron? hot air paint stripper? to the damaged area to soften it,
(will it soften appropriately?) then apply weight as in (1). Afterwards if
necessary, maybe do option (1) in full as well; ie cut and glue?

3. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have
enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and edges
of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of vinyl.
Hmm.

I suppose I could always try solutions 2, 1, and 3 in sequence?!

Any thoughts on the relative merits of these, or any other options?

Thanks

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 May 2015 20:37:10 UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
3. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have
enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and edges
of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of vinyl.
Hmm.

Professional vinyl fitters have a sort of hot iron they can put under the edge of the vinyl to heat-seal two pieces together for large rooms.

I don't know if it's easily or successfully DIYable but a good fitter should be able to sort that out for you no problem.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes

3. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have
enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and edges
of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of vinyl.

That is the option I would try first, and have recently done, in the
kitchen. Our flooring is old, though, and the new piece is a tad
obvious. Yours may blend in if it has not been down too long.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2015 22:21, News wrote:
In message , Lobster
writes

3. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have
enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and
edges
of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of
vinyl.

That is the option I would try first, and have recently done, in the
kitchen. Our flooring is old, though, and the new piece is a tad
obvious. Yours may blend in if it has not been down too long.

ISTR I once had a tube of PVC solvent cement which was supposed to do
flooring, inflatable pools, and such. I wonder if ordinary PVC pipe
solvent weld cement would be an easy way to "weld" the edges. (Be aware
that there are different pipe cements for PVC and ABS, one works on the
other but not vice versa).

I agree with you and News, I would certainly try to stick down the patch
first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2015 20:37, Lobster wrote:
Any thoughts on how best to tackle this?
http://i61.tinypic.com/iwpvfp.jpg

snip

3. I've got a spare bit of vinyl left over, and I'm fairly sure I have
enough to cut out the damaged area - cutting only along the sides and edges
of the 'floorboards' in the pattern, and then glue in a new piece of vinyl.
Hmm.

Use double sided tape (or Gaffer tape around the edge) to stick the new
bit on top of the damaged bit, then cut through both to ensure the right
size.

Cheers
--
Syd