Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default repairing a damaged car tyre?

I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does not actually seem to be damaged.

Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to replace the whole tyre.

The tyre was new :-(

thanks

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 5, 2012 9:28:26 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does not actually seem to be damaged. Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to replace the whole tyre. The tyre was new :-( thanks Robert

To answer my own question. BS AU159 governs what can be repaired and here are the rules:

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Min...1_May_2011.pdf

RObert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does not actually seem to be damaged.

Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to replace the whole tyre.

yes.

The tyre was new :-(

****!

thanks

Robert

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 5, 2012 9:28:26 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an inch long
cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you can see some
cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does not actually seem to
be damaged. Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I
have to replace the whole tyre. The tyre was new :-( thanks Robert

To answer my own question. BS AU159 governs what can be repaired and
here are the rules:

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Min...1_May_2011.pdf

I buggered a tyre yesterday, met a van towing a horse box on narrow road.
Space to pass except for the wheels sticking out at the side of the horse
box. I had to drop off the edge of the road to avoid being hit by the wheels
and buggered the N/S front tyre. The van and horse box of course just kept
going.

We go off on holiday in the car tomorrow so frantic telephone calls around
every tyre supplier I can find of and only one can supply in time.

New tyre £339 and the damaged one had only cover 7000 miles *@@$$**.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote:
[...]

Glad I drive a plebmobile with cheap tyres. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:38:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to
replace the whole tyre.

yes.

Won't they tube them any more? I had a couple of tubes put on one car,
but that was probably around 12 years ago now (maybe they'd never tube
them for a split in the tyre, though; in my case it was due to corroded
alloys and so they'd slowly leak around the rims otherwise)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RobertL writes:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does not actually seem to be damaged.

Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to replace the whole tyre.

The tyre was new :-(

I've only ever wrecked a brand new tyre, at just under 50 miles:-(

A cyclist shot off the pavement into the road, and I had to swerve
and clipped an island with particularly large kerbstones, which took
a chunk out of the tyre wall right through to the cords.

Her husband (I presume - they were a late middle-aged couple) who was
following behind did at least mouth "sorry" to me, so I smiled back.
I pulled over a bit further on to have a look, and only then saw the
damage, and swapped on the spare. They'd gone by then of course, not
that there's anything much one could do even if they were still there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
[...]

LOL, that would buy about 1.5 of my cars
I still get from A to B though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:38:25 +0000 (UTC)
Jules Richardson wrote:

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:38:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have
to replace the whole tyre.

yes.

Won't they tube them any more? I had a couple of tubes put on one
car, but that was probably around 12 years ago now (maybe they'd
never tube them for a split in the tyre, though; in my case it was
due to corroded alloys and so they'd slowly leak around the rims
otherwise)

According to the publication, that is not an allowable repair method.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
RobertL writes:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an
inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you
can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does
not actually seem to be damaged.

Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have
to replace the whole tyre.

The tyre was new :-(

I've only ever wrecked a brand new tyre, at just under 50 miles:-(

A cyclist shot off the pavement into the road, and I had to swerve
and clipped an island with particularly large kerbstones, which took
a chunk out of the tyre wall right through to the cords.

TBH you did not have to swerve;-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote:
[...]

wait till its 300 for the tyre and 700 for a new wheel that the
councils failure to fill the pothole in costs you

Tim

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:38:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to
replace the whole tyre.

yes.

Won't they tube them any more? I had a couple of tubes put on one car,
but that was probably around 12 years ago now (maybe they'd never tube
them for a split in the tyre, though; in my case it was due to corroded
alloys and so they'd slowly leak around the rims otherwise)

MOT failure as I discovered if the cords are showing.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2012 13:29, Tim+ wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote:
[...]

Yep. It cost me £140 for two new tyres for mine a fortnight ago.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2012 13:38, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 09:38:32 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have to
replace the whole tyre.

yes.

Won't they tube them any more? I had a couple of tubes put on one car,
but that was probably around 12 years ago now (maybe they'd never tube
them for a split in the tyre, though; in my case it was due to corroded
alloys and so they'd slowly leak around the rims otherwise)

IIRC many tubeless tyres and some wheels are too rough on the inside for
tubes and anyway tubes are prone to blowouts.

Friends of mine paid a visit to the central reservation crash barrier of
the M62, at speed and backwards, when a tubeless tyre that had been
tubed a week earlier blew out.

Rear wing was bent badly, with no place for the rear light cluster, so
we visited a scrapyard, got the corner of another car cut off and welded
and brazed it over the bent section. A load of cut-strand mat and resin
over the join and they drove it for a couple more years - with one
corner a different colour and the join roughly covered with rough red
fibreglass. They told me that it made people keep their distance as the
owners "obviously didn't care."

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
RobertL writes:
I drove over something sharp and punctured car tyre. It has an
inch long cut in the rubber right inthe middle of the tread and you
can see some cord at the bottom of the cut although the cord does
not actually seem to be damaged.

Q: Am I right in assuming that this cannot be repaired and I have
to replace the whole tyre.

The tyre was new :-(

if it's dammaged that bad then it may well be scrap,

BUT, i've found most tyre places can only plug punctures, and then only if
within a certian distance from the sides etc,

But theres a local one man band tyre place near me (robs tyres of langley
mill i think it is) and he can do major repairs to tyres,

i got a puncture on the edge of the tread on a motorhome tyre a day before
we were off round wales for 2 weeks, tyre was a year old and done prolly
2000 miles if that,

But he was able to fix it, used an untrasonic welding, heating and pressure
system to bond new rubber to the inside of the tyre,
it takes a couple of hours to do the repair plus some time after before it
can be used, so i had to come back for the tyre just as i set off the next
day, but it was a 35 quid repair, opposed to a 150 quid new tyre,

i never knew repairs like that were available, but then again, i've been
brought up by my parents on **** fit type places, 'leaky valve core sir??
new tyre i'm afraid' type thing,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news:j4KdnSQdcZblXPPNnZ2dnUVZ8nOdnZ2d@brightview. com...
[...]

Gladly that was a typo, the quote was originally £239, not £339 I bartered
them down to a straight £200 cash. I was a bit panicky when the delivery van
was an hour late arriving, but its fixed now, which is great as we set of
for a week in Alcaig at noon, so no uk.diy banter for me for a week!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 09:38:51 +0100, Muddymike wrote:

Gladly that was a typo, the quote was originally £239, not £339 I
bartered them down to a straight £200 cash.

Still about 1.5 tyres for mine and they are big tyres 255/55R18. Are
these some form of low profile "thick rubber band" type tyre?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 12:03*am, SteveW wrote:
[...]

Driving a Landrover has that effect too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:03:07 +0100, SteveW wrote:
Rear wing was bent badly, with no place for the rear light cluster, so
we visited a scrapyard, got the corner of another car cut off and welded
and brazed it over the bent section. A load of cut-strand mat and resin
over the join and they drove it for a couple more years - with one
corner a different colour and the join roughly covered with rough red
fibreglass. They told me that it made people keep their distance as the
owners "obviously didn't care."

That sort of thing's common around here. I regularly see one car in town
with the rear-right completely stoved in, but the owners have bodged on
the light cluster from a trailer using sheet metal screws; it's been
around for at least a couple of years like that, so the police are
apparently happy with it.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2012 17:01, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there are rules about sharp edges though. After all I'd not want to be
run over, but if it was vehicle reversing with nasty bits of plat sticking
out it could be a nightm are.

Many years ago I was stopped by the police for not having a back bumper
on my Mini. (or perhaps it was for overtaking them, albeit on a dual
carriageway and under the speed limit!)

I think they were a little happier when they realised that (1) the
reason I had no back bumper was because some toerag had tailgated me,
and bent it so far I couldn't get it back on after fixing the rear
lights and (2) I was wearing a jacket and tie under the tatty anorak and
long hair

Andy