Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Ladder

My ladder is one of the combination type, so OK up to windows but no more.
My neighbours' ladders are both rather rickety now, so I'd like to buy a
good one that we can all use.
Thinking of getting a triple as it'll be easier to move around (the 4.8m one
that I've just used is a bit unwieldy around here).
The eaves are about 4.1m up, so a ladder of 3.5m should be plenty used as a
double.

Now, are there any makes that are good quality and rigid in use? I'm getting
a bit old for wobbly-ladder fun! Probably go for BS 2037 Class 1 at least
EN131.

Thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

are there any makes that are good quality and rigid in use? I'm getting
a bit old for wobbly-ladder fun! Probably go for BS 2037 Class 1 at least
EN131.

Having chopped-up my dodgy wooden ladder that came 'free' with the
house, I'm happy with my double 'trade' aluminium one (with the optional
articulating feet).

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/alloy-ladders/trade-alloy-ladders.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 May 2015 18:23:38 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

PeterC wrote:

are there any makes that are good quality and rigid in use? I'm getting
a bit old for wobbly-ladder fun! Probably go for BS 2037 Class 1 at least
EN131.

Having chopped-up my dodgy wooden ladder that came 'free' with the
house, I'm happy with my double 'trade' aluminium one (with the optional
articulating feet).

http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/alloy-ladders/trade-alloy-ladders.html

Thanks for reminding me! I've been trying to remember where I got the
combi-ladder and it was 999!
Off to have a look.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
My ladder is one of the combination type, so OK up to windows but no more.
My neighbours' ladders are both rather rickety now, so I'd like to buy a
good one that we can all use.
Thinking of getting a triple as it'll be easier to move around (the 4.8m one
that I've just used is a bit unwieldy around here).
The eaves are about 4.1m up, so a ladder of 3.5m should be plenty used as a
double.

Now, are there any makes that are good quality and rigid in use? I'm getting
a bit old for wobbly-ladder fun! Probably go for BS 2037 Class 1 at least
EN131.

Thanks.

If you aren't going to carry it about much you want to get a heavy duty
ladder. They are much nicer to use. They are safer and more stable.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 May 2015 05:02:19 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

PeterC wrote:
My ladder is one of the combination type, so OK up to windows but no more.
My neighbours' ladders are both rather rickety now, so I'd like to buy a
good one that we can all use.
Thinking of getting a triple as it'll be easier to move around (the 4.8m one
that I've just used is a bit unwieldy around here).
The eaves are about 4.1m up, so a ladder of 3.5m should be plenty used as a
double.

Now, are there any makes that are good quality and rigid in use? I'm getting
a bit old for wobbly-ladder fun! Probably go for BS 2037 Class 1 at least
EN131.

Thanks.

If you aren't going to carry it about much you want to get a heavy duty
ladder. They are much nicer to use. They are safer and more stable.

Bill

Yes, even the EN131 combi ladder is very good. I looked at the Class 1
ladders but they're too heavy.
The present ladder (my neighbour's) is a double, 4.8m long and about 19kg;
I've ordered a double, EN131, 4m and 15.5kg.
I'm 68 and of rather 'slim' build and t'other chap is 61 and has a dicky
shoulder, so we're limited by ability. Fortunately, niether of us is
overweight.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away