Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best depth within the opening for a UPVC window?

Hi friends,

I am replacing UPVC windows in my house. The walls are solid stone, and
fairly thick. The existing windows are set back about 7" inside the opening
(viewed from outside the house, that is). The adjoining house of the same
costruction, has its windows set only about 2" back inside the opening.
Which is best? I could do mine the same as next door's, for consistency of
appearance, but are there any disadvantages to having them set so far out?

Many thanks for any opinions on this.

JD

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JD wrote:
Hi friends,

I am replacing UPVC windows in my house. The walls are solid stone, and
fairly thick. The existing windows are set back about 7" inside the
opening (viewed from outside the house, that is). The adjoining house
of the same costruction, has its windows set only about 2" back inside
the opening. Which is best? I could do mine the same as next door's,
for consistency of appearance, but are there any disadvantages to
having them set so far out?

Many thanks for any opinions on this.

Wooden windows historically tended to be set back within the wall to give
the wood some extra protection. I doubt this makes any difference to the
life of PVC.
But you will tend to get more noise from rain and drips etc the closer the
window is to the outside. But that may be less important than gaining a
decent sized internal sill.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JD" wrote in message
Hi friends,

I am replacing UPVC windows in my house. The walls are solid stone, and
fairly thick. The existing windows are set back about 7" inside the
opening
(viewed from outside the house, that is). The adjoining house of the same
costruction, has its windows set only about 2" back inside the opening.
Which is best? I could do mine the same as next door's, for consistency of
appearance, but are there any disadvantages to having them set so far out?

Many thanks for any opinions on this.

It's irrelevant with plastic.
Just decide whether you want a wide or slim internal cill and make it
happen.

If you don't want to do a lot of patching up, they can go in the place that
the old ones occupied, if you move them out another 5 inches, you've got a 5
inch patch up both sides and across the top to sort out, along with buying
new cills

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in
:

If you don't want to do a lot of patching up, they can go in the place
that the old ones occupied, if you move them out another 5 inches,
you've got a 5 inch patch up both sides and across the top to sort
out, along with buying new cills

That's what I was thinking. So I think I'll put them in the same position
as the old ones.

Thank you (and to Dave also).

JD