Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Concrete building blocks

I need a base for some large log stores. One solution is to place them
on 440x220x100 concrete building blocks. This could be achieved fairly
quickly, and allows for straightforward relocation at a later date.

The site is disturbed ground - so this may not provide uniform support
and I can expect some settlement. However I can make adjustments at a
later date as and when the stores are empty.

Concrete blocks seem to come in 2 main types - dense and medium density.
Both types are available for a compression load of 70 N/mm2. The
medium density blocks weigh about 14.5kg as opposed to 18 kg for the
dense blocks but cost approximately 10% more.

I am willing to pay the extra premium on the medium density blocks in
return for the easier handling. But will the medium density blocks be
more fragile and liable to break in my application where the variable
nature of the ground support may give rise to shear stresses across the
blocks?

Any comments appreciated.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

It is a base for the structure rather than a floor and is to keep the
timber bearers off the ground - in the same way as one might do for a
garden shed. (I will be placing a damp proof membrane between the timber
and the base).

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2015 22:41, Andrew wrote:
JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

It is a base for the structure rather than a floor and is to keep the
timber bearers off the ground - in the same way as one might do for a
garden shed. (I will be placing a damp proof membrane between the timber
and the base).

Andrew

If the bearers are going to be spanning many blocks then if one sinks,
the vertical load will just transfer to the next one.

Just how high is this log store going to be? My gut feel is that medium
density would be fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/15 22:23, JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

Because you want to launch a cruise missile from it?

Dunno. I give up. What's the answer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

It is a base for the structure rather than a floor and is to keep the
timber bearers off the ground - in the same way as one might do for a
garden shed. (I will be placing a damp proof membrane between the timber
and the base).

Andrew

If the bearers are going to be spanning many blocks then if one sinks,
the vertical load will just transfer to the next one.

Just how high is this log store going to be? My gut feel is that medium
density would be fine.

The logstores a

http://www.fisherswoodcrafts.co.uk/v...Year-Guarantee

They currently sit on paving, but I want to remove them to another part
of the garden whilst they are empty.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Another variable is their material.They come as basically concrete, and
basically fly ash. My experience is that the concrete variety last much
longer in damp (ie on the ground) conditions, whereas the fly ash ones
crumble away with frost damage. Both materials come in different bearing
abilities so the 3.5 / 7.0 / 14 Newton loading doesn't necessarily determine
their composition. Concrete one have a smoother finish with less pore and
are heavy.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

It is a base for the structure rather than a floor and is to keep the
timber bearers off the ground - in the same way as one might do for a
garden shed. (I will be placing a damp proof membrane between the timber
and the base).

Andrew

If the bearers are going to be spanning many blocks then if one sinks,
the vertical load will just transfer to the next one.

Just how high is this log store going to be? My gut feel is that medium
density would be fine.

The logstores a

http://www.fisherswoodcrafts.co.uk/v...Year-Guarantee

Jeezus. Why didn’t you DIY something as simple as that ?

They currently sit on paving, but I want to remove them to another part of
the garden whilst they are empty.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
The logstores a

http://www.fisherswoodcrafts.co.uk/v...Year-Guarantee

Blimey. £334.00. Just asking for DIY I'd have thought.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/They currently sit on paving, but I want to remove them to another part
of the garden whilst they are empty./q

Concrete lintels?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 May 2015 10:44:16 UTC+1, Mike Barnes wrote:
Andrew wrote:
The logstores a

http://www.fisherswoodcrafts.co.uk/v...Year-Guarantee

Blimey. £334.00. Just asking for DIY I'd have thought.

pallet wood

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK wrote:
Why do you need a concrete block floor for a log store?

Jim K

It is a base for the structure rather than a floor and is to keep the
timber bearers off the ground - in the same way as one might do for a
garden shed. (I will be placing a damp proof membrane between the timber
and the base).

Andrew

If the bearers are going to be spanning many blocks then if one sinks,
the vertical load will just transfer to the next one.

Just how high is this log store going to be? My gut feel is that medium
density would be fine.

The logstores a

http://www.fisherswoodcrafts.co.uk/v...Year-Guarantee

They currently sit on paving, but I want to remove them to another part
of the garden whilst they are empty.

Andrew

Surely they would be fine on medium density blocks? Wouldn't use
lightweights.

Concrete Blocks Tom Wooster UK diy 3 April 29th 12 10:22 PM
Blocks for building a single block wall David WE Roberts UK diy 7 December 4th 09 10:32 PM
TV Coax cable next to building blocks truning black Michael Chare UK diy 5 December 31st 05 11:44 AM
INSPIRATION - Building Blocks J T Woodworking 2 May 9th 05 04:35 PM
caribbean building....Rebar and Blocks neilchak Home Repair 4 May 9th 05 10:08 AM