Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint Primers

Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

cheers.
cd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RONSEAL TECHNICAL SERVICES
0114 2409 469

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom writes:
Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

It's probably an acid etch primer, so its designed method of bonding
won't work on timber at all. That's not to say it won't bond simply
by having the solvent carry the substrate into the timber grain (which
probably looks similar at a microscopic level to etched metalwork),
but that's not how it was designed to be used, so if it fails, it would
also be no surprise.

I don't usually bother priming timber used indoors - just start with
gloss undercoat. For outdoor use, I use aluminium based primer on timber.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 May 2015 21:39:06 UTC+1, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

Do it without primer, you'd get better bond.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

Just thin some normal undercoat/gloss.
At least for oil based paints.

Dunno about these new water based paints.
Which are crap anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2015 07:26, harryagain wrote:
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

Just thin some normal undercoat/gloss.
At least for oil based paints.

Dunno about these new water based paints.
Which are crap anyway.

Or use emulsion paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2015 07:26, harryagain wrote:
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have some Ronseal white metal primer designed for radiators and
pipework. Can I get away with using it for a small stretch of new, bare
wood skirting board? (less than 1 metre) Or is it likely to peel away
again in next to no time?

Just thin some normal undercoat/gloss.
At least for oil based paints.

Dunno about these new water based paints.
Which are crap anyway.

Acrylic primer/undercoats work very well and build an opaque coating
quickly. I tend to agree with you when it comes to topcoats

Metal primers T i m UK diy 17 August 6th 10 12:05 AM
flip primers Karl Townsend Metalworking 13 May 7th 10 06:59 PM
choice of primers and paints DerbyDad03 Home Repair 0 December 1st 09 08:51 PM
choice of primers and paints kansascats Home Repair 0 December 1st 09 06:00 PM
For All You Paint Experts re Paint Primers (when to use a primer) Robert11 Home Repair 4 January 26th 07 05:32 AM