Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default flip primers

I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm looking for
..223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the surplus military .308
brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in
all my brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and
the bullets and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a
cookie sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the
sheet and repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a
better way?
Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm
looking for .223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the
surplus military .308 brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

Karl

RCBS (and maybe others) makes a primer tray with a lid that orients them .
Bottom part has little circular ridges , top is smooth and fits closely
enough to the bottom to keep the primers from turning over when you flip the
tray over . Pour 'em in , shake the tray , drop the lid on and flip it over
.. Lift the bottom off to find all the primers ready to load into the tube .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

I saw some primers in the wild last weekend in Cheboygan Michigan. At $40/M I wasn't
interested. What are you paying for primers or are you working out of old stock?

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

I seem to remember that tapping worked fine with my Lee Auto primes. You likely are on
the leading edge of priming flipping technology.

Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm looking for
.223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the surplus military .308
brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

I'd normally contact Starline. They don't seem to have 5.56 or .223. Damn, this is
getting bad.

Midwayusa has some match stuff (pricey) Normal stuff is out of stock.

Guy at work was talking about a .380 he was thinking of buying. I told him he better
demand two boxes of ammo at fair retail in the deal or the gun isn't worth having atm.

I don't understand this. I didn't care for Clinton but components didn't dry up. I'm
still sitting on the safety stock increase I started when I got a bit worried after the
AWB.

Obama is another Clinton in my opinion, likely not as smart. Harry Reid has kept the
serious anti gun stuff from hitting the senate floor, why is it so much worse this cycle?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 5, 4:52*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm looking for
.223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the surplus military .308
brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

Karl

Just about every reloading equipment manufacturer sells a primer
flipper, either as a stand-alone component or as part of a tray for
their priming system. Have ribs on the bottom, just dumping a box and
shaking orients them anvils up.

You might want to reconsider your priming system. Tubes full of
primers are extremely hazardous. The RCBS tool I use has a tray that
feeds them from the side, with a built-in flipping system. Guys have
been killed dropping tubes of primers or having one go off and
detonating the stack.

As far as brass is concerned, military stuff is out there, for a
premium. You can buy current commercial stuff for less for new. I
get mine from Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro and occasionally, at a
gun show. I personally don't care for military stuff, you have to
take care of the primer pocket crimp, it's usually been fired in a SAW
and is stretched and it's got less room. Some of it is softer than
commercial stuff, too. Meant to be fired once and scrapped. You
might be having a local shortage caused by hoarding, just about every
one has brass now around here, again. Can get Remington, Winchester
and pre-prepped Hornady, here. Check with Midway and Natchez, if you
have to order it.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

[...]

Because chumps continue to pay higher prices for amunition and the
manufacturers are being perfectly good capitalists and maximizing the return
on the investment in labor and equipment. Why sell brass and primer's when
you can sell ammo and make five times the profit?

LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Obama is another Clinton in my opinion, likely not as smart. Harry
Reid has kept the serious anti gun stuff from hitting the senate
floor, why is it so much worse this cycle?

Because chumps continue to pay higher prices for amunition and the
manufacturers are being perfectly good capitalists and maximizing the return
on the investment in labor and equipment. Why sell brass and primer's when
you can sell ammo and make five times the profit?

LOL

I wonder if this is a double play of sorts. When a center right government gets back in
office, I doubt the ammunition makers want to see a total drop in sales. Sort of a win
win thing going if they don't over produce.

The thing is, I would be buying at the bottom of the market since I'm cheap. I'm holding
off on shooting a lot until I can secure replacement stock. Sales will still be up when
the Dems are tossed out for at least two years or so.

All serious gun owners ideas on safety stock have jumped up to about 4 years on hand. That
is my opinion for what it is worth.

Good night. Morning comes early for me.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

[...]

As long as the industry can stir people up with claims about upcoming
legislation it won't matter at all which party is in office.
If it isn't Obama, it will be Bobby Rush. This guy in NY City had a Kelltec
on him so you should expect a lot of talk now about denying new immigrants
permits to buy weapons. There won't be any laws in the works but that won't
matter. The industry doesn't want laws but loves to see their customers all
frightened and scared of the dark. It's good for business.

Good night. Morning comes early for me.

L8TR

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

RCBS primer tray. Does all the flipping for you.

Also, a .223 followed "the Kid" home from the gun show. So I'm looking for
.223 brass. Don't want a repeat of all the work on the surplus military .308
brass. Where would you buy .223 brass?

Depends on quantity you want.

K Bar has once fired Lake City 5.56 for $85.00/ 1000
Commercial stamp is 10 bucks less.
http://www.kbarcartridge.com/Once-Fired-Rifle-Brass.php

Cheaper Than Dirt has Remington virgin brass for 25-27 bucks/ 100

Karl

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

BTW , I've got a handful (maybe 30) of .223/5.56mm OFB , you want it it's
yours for postage .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-05-05, Karl Townsend wrote:
I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

Yes -- there are primer flippers which are flat cylindrical
housings with turned grooves in one surface. Dump in the primers, slide
it from side to side on a tabletop and the edges will catch the anvils
of the primers and flip them over so all are anvil side up.

Then put the lid on (it is thin enough so the primers just
barely fit), filp it over, and all the primers will now be anvil down,
just right for picking up with the primer tube. (Set it down on a solid
flat benchtop or the snap of picking up one primer will flip nearby ones
back the way you don't want them.)

Or -- RCBS (and probably others) make tools which include the
primers, the flipper, and a chute to feed into a hand squeezed assembly
which will force the primers, one at a time, into cartridge cases held
in the same holder which goes on the top of the press' ram.

O.K. Here is a flipper (square, not the round one which I have
had for years):

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5590/Priming-Tools

And here is the RCBS hand priming tool:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/64313

which can be convenient to use with a can of empties while you are
watching a TV show or a movie at home. You don't need the press for
this part of the operation, and it gives better feel than the usual
press does, with fewer crushed primers.

Note -- these were simply early responses to searches which I
did on Google, though I have dealt with Buds Gun Shop before, and was
quite satisfied.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

The most tedious job was loading primer tubes. I dumped primers on a cookie
sheet and picked up the ones pointing up, then tapped the sheet and
repeated. Takes a lot of taps to get them all. Is there a better way?

RCBS primer tray. Does all the flipping for you.

Now I remember, my autoprime feed tray has a series of shallow concentric circles that
provide a bit an edge so when you softly shake the tray side to side, the primers that are
down catch the edge and flip. The primers that are up, have a radius which causes the
primer to slide across the circles.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 5, 7:29*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Local Remington and Winchester price is $20-23 per baggie of 100 in
the bin. .308 is still missing, .38 Special and .357 are high when
they can be had, usually out of stock. Gander had .357 Remington
brass for $40/100, but they're always high. Just .38 ammo was going
for $50/50 for RNL mid-range loads at the shows, would like to know
what's up with that, used to be about the cheapest centerfire pistol
load that could be had. Treat those empties like GOLD! Get a brass
catcher for the semi-autos. Sportsman's has had .380 ammo in stock in
the last few weeks, usually quite a number of boxes on the pallet. No
brass, though.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 May 2010 18:05:30 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

Ayup...been using those for Crom...25 or more years.

Now several manufactures make primers in special packaging that allow
autofeeding.

Personally..I use the Autoprime II or Autoprime (1), while sitting in
front of the computer or while (rarely) in front of the Tube.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/primtool.html

The only issue I have with the Lee auto prime 1..is that they are NOT
made of steel and tend to break every 90,000 or so rounds (based on my
letters to Lee...shrug)

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 05 May 2010 19:18:07 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I got a small problem. I put nice new primers, powder, and bullets in all my
brass a couple months ago. Now all the primers are dented and the bullets
and powder are missing G

I saw some primers in the wild last weekend in Cheboygan Michigan. At $40/M I wasn't
interested. What are you paying for primers or are you working out of old stock?

Old stock here...2 yrs old and cost me $12/M for Winchester. See
further below....

[...]

When the Obamassiah got nominated...people lifted their heads up and
sniffed. And then started buying arms/ammo and components in tremendous
numbers. At one point..over 1.5 MILLION new firearms a month. Its
estimated that to date..he sold over 17 million new firearms, and
huge..****ing huge amounts of ammunition to go with the new guns.
January started seeing a tapering off of arms sales, for which pricing
is slowing returning to pre Obama numbers. And ammo is now starting to
fall as well. For a year..Walmart was simply unable to (as an example)
provide enough ammuniton to meet the need. They would get in shipments
in the morning..and by noon or 1PM..they would be sold out of the
desireable calibers.
Gun shows...the guys who used to buy a couple boxes of ammo per
year..were coming in with dollys and buying several Cases

Prior to Obama..I was buying primers for $12-16 per 1000. After
Obama..prices went up to as much as $60 per 1000, virtually overnite.

Ammo manufactures knew that this was a Surge (as it always is) and didnt
spend the money expanding their plants, but put on 2 and 3 shifts in
order to meet the need.

It should be noted..that few manufactures raised pricing..but it was the
distributors and retailers that were tacking on huge..huge ****ing huge
price increases. Something we should all remember when it comes to
buying ammo and components from suppliers. Remember which ones "mearly"
ripped you off..and which ones ****ed you in the ass.

Which of course is (1) of the reasons I always keep a certain amount of
"extra" reloading components on hand. ..as a survivalist..its in my best
interest to have extra primers/bullets/powder/cases on hand. Which does
tend to make storage a bit complicated for things like primers..but 50
caliber ammo cans with some water absorbers inside and stocked on
shelves in one of the outbuildings is a fair use of storage for
components. A side note...buying powder in 1lb cans can be rather
expensive as opposed to buying the same powder in 8lb kegs. There can be
as much as a $50 dollar differnce (or more) between (8) 1 lb cans and
(1) 8 lb keg. Keeping them dry and cool is not a big issue for most
folks and one simply fills a 1lb can from an 8lb keg and returns the keg
to stock. This makes it a bit "safer" and far easier to handle when
filling measures etc etc.

I only have 5-10 1lb cans in the ready to use racks well seperated from
the benches and 1k of each of the various size primers in their proper
and well seperated from the powder, ready to use locations.

Obama is another Clinton in my opinion, likely not as smart. Harry Reid has kept the
serious anti gun stuff from hitting the senate floor, why is it so much worse this cycle?

Wes

Why? Because after 50 yrs of trying really really hard..the country is
finally controlled by the Far Leftwing Extremeist Fringe Kooks of the
DNC..Presidency, and both houses of Congress. Fortunately..not all
Democrats are Far Leftwingers..though the majority votes that way in
most cases. 2nd Amendment issues however..can ruin a Congress Critters
changes of ever being reelected and they know to keep most of that stuff
off the table in national elections. In various State elections
however....the same is not always true. As is noted by Californias
Leftwingers wanting to register long guns and so forth, at the moment.

And the Left knows fully well..that if they try to reverse the 2nd
Amendment goals that we have reached to date..it WILL kick off American
Revolution II. And all the blood that that entails.

Gunner