Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flashband

Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of Lead ?
.......is 15 years life long enough? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 May 2015 07:45:36 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of
Lead ?

Even though I'm not a plumber I'd still try and use use lead, at
least for ordinary flashing or around a chimney. I might have a go at
trying to join bits with heat or forming a large sheet into a 3D
shape, just to see if I could do it.

Flashband is horrible mucky stuff to work with for your tools and
you.

.......is 15 years life long enough? ......

Only you can answer that. Are you still going to be there in 15 years
time and still be able to clamber about the roof or WHY. I think well
applied flashband will last longer than 15 years, but not the 150
years of a good bit of lead. Code 5 Lead normally outlasts the rest
of the roof...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 07:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of Lead ?
......is 15 years life long enough? ......

Don't be a cheapskate on a new build - lead does not cost *that* much.

I've used flashband to repair a crack on the corner of a small leaded
flat bay - I was going to solder it but realised the lead was sitting on
some sort of flammable underlay sheet.

In short, it's good stuff if you don't have a lot of other options. If
you do have options, always choose the best one for weatherproofing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of Lead ?
......is 15 years life long enough? ......

Your answer is in your question. Or is this a new build with built in
redundancy?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of Lead
?
......is 15 years life long enough? ......

Your answer is in your question. Or is this a new build with built in
redundancy?

Mike

I have never accepted it but there were those in the office that did

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can Flashband type products be used on new build projects in place of Lead
?
......is 15 years life long enough? ......

I've used flashband for short-term repair of splits in a typical
roofing-felt-and-gravel type flat roof, but we get a lot of salt in
the air because of our proximity to the sea and the aluminium(?) foil
part corrodes after a few years. I certainly wouldn't use it on
anything structural or intended to be in any way long-term or
permanent.

Chris

good man ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You mean they have not banned lead yet? grin.
I feel sure all the clever folk could come up with something other than
lead for this sort of task though. Its been traditionally lead for hundreds
of years now.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Even though I'm not a plumber I'd still try and use use lead, at
least for ordinary flashing or around a chimney. I might have a go at
trying to join bits with heat or forming a large sheet into a 3D
shape, just to see if I could do it.

I've done a fair bit of lead work here - and as well as being great fun
isn't too difficult to learn as it's a very forgiving material. If only it
wasn't so expensive.

Generally, all joints tend to have to be lapped types to allow for
expansion, when used outside. Something like every metre.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
You mean they have not banned lead yet? grin.
I feel sure all the clever folk could come up with something other than
lead for this sort of task though. Its been traditionally lead for
hundreds of years now.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Solves the thievery problem too if you have pikeys in your area.

Flashband has limited uses, eg it has to be continuously supported, only
bridges very narrow gaps.
Ocassionally there are problems getting it to stick, even with primer.
(Best applied in hot weather).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Thank you trollboy.

Or, in other words, "********".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when
exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Thank you trollboy.

Or, in other words, "********".

depends on your definition of quickly in relation to buildings .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

Lead lasts for many decades. Even centuries.
However there is a move to get lead out of the environment.
Causes brain damage.
Could be TNPs problem.
Usually cracks appear in it on corners etc due to work hardening and
vibration with wind. Eventually.

Noboby knows how long the plastic stuff will last.
It is tested by the BRE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when
exposed to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Yes - a couple of hundred years and it might need work done. Most plastics
go brittle in a couple of years of sun.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when
exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Thank you trollboy.

Or, in other words, "********".

depends on your definition of quickly in relation to buildings .....

Well, quicker than you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof
work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when
exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Thank you trollboy.

Or, in other words, "********".

depends on your definition of quickly in relation to buildings .....

Well, quicker than you

Jim Jim nice but dim .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when
exposed to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

Yes - a couple of hundred years and it might need work done. Most plastics
go brittle in a couple of years of sun.

not quite...seen a lot of eroded lead on 100 year old Scottish
tenements....but they have been poking up into polluted skies for
years....and 50 year old water pipes but that is a different story.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

Lead lasts for many decades. Even centuries.
However there is a move to get lead out of the environment.
Causes brain damage.
Could be TNPs problem.
Usually cracks appear in it on corners etc due to work hardening and
vibration with wind. Eventually.

The cracks are mainly due to thermal cycling.
Hence, larger pieces have shorter lives.
You should get at least 70 years from a good installation
using lead strips. (Sheet lead may be less - not sure).
You may need to redress it into brickwork one or two times
during this period if the mortar and/or wedges fail, which
again does happen due to thermal cycling and movement of
the lead.

Noboby knows how long the plastic stuff will last.
It is tested by the BRE.

I've had a GRP valley gutter for almost 30 years. 10 years
ago, I refitted the roof around it, but the plastic itself
was fine and I kept it (just had to add new sand strips for
pointing onto it).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2015 08:21, harryagain wrote:
"Brian-Gaff" wrote in message
You mean they have not banned lead yet? grin.
I feel sure all the clever folk could come up with something other than
lead for this sort of task though. Its been traditionally lead for
hundreds of years now.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
[...]

About 8 yrsago we had lead capping on a wall (recently built as an
extension to our church.

Negotiatin with the insurers had them insisting that the lead was
replaced like-for-likerather thab a cheaper aliminium /zinc/felt
replacement. Why when it was probably cheaper and certainly less
attractive?

Flashband has limited uses, eg it has to be continuously supported, only
bridges very narrow gaps.
Ocassionally there are problems getting it to stick, even with primer.
(Best applied in hot weather).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Noboby knows how long the plastic stuff will last.
It is tested by the BRE.

I've had a GRP valley gutter for almost 30 years. 10 years
ago, I refitted the roof around it, but the plastic itself
was fine and I kept it (just had to add new sand strips for
pointing onto it).

Nuralite flashing also seems to last quite well....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

....should use nuclear waste. According to harry that lasts billions of
years...:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
Most lead has been replaced with various sorts of plastic these days.
You can buy plastic valley pieces and aluminium soakers for roof work.

Love to know what plastic has anything like the life of lead when exposed
to the elements.

lead washes away and erodes quite quickly ....

....quickly being in the hundreds of years range.

Flashband primer Jeweller[_2_] UK diy 1 August 2nd 13 04:15 PM
Self adhesive flashband to corrugated roof advice sought please. [email protected] UK diy 3 April 28th 10 05:36 PM