Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default For the want of a socket...

Funny where this DIY lark can lead you...

For ages I have had a short extension lead draped across the room to
power the fridge since its original socket was eliminated in a bit of a
reorganisation when the boiler was changed. So finally locating the
required shape of tuit, I decided to stick in a new socket properly.

Glossing over the whole "wall seems to be made of nuclear strike proof
concrete block" that laughed at the attempts of my SDS to touch it, and
required more considered coaxing with the SDS Max concrete breaker - we
had a new socket back box nicely chased in ready for wiring. Being about
waist height and on a hard tiled floor, I though it would be easier to
sit on something low to wire it up. Normally I sit on the toolbox with
my electrical kit in it, but this time I had only bothered grabbing the
cutters, earth sleeve, screwdriver, and a rubber grommet from it, and
had left the rest in the workshop. So I thought - aha, will borrow
SWMBOs hideous green plastic step stool from the kitchen.

With hindsight that was a mistake. They seem to rely on a certain amount
of friction on the floor to not splay their legs to the side when
loaded. Needless to say, me + plus smooth floor was too much for it, and
I narrowly avoided a jagged green plastic enema as fragments of it flew
in all directions!!

So I thought I would make a nice traditional step stool as a
replacement. Ideally out of oak since that is what the cupboards are
faced with. Fortunately I remembered there was a spare kitchen unit
cupboard door in the garage. So I hacked it about a bit, and came up
with this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

Top is about 14" by 9", and it stands about 10" tall. The "pegged"
stretcher seems to keep it all nice an solid regardless of load.

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants plans,
let me know and I will draw some.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants plans,
let me know and I will draw some.

Cheers,

John.

You should have just assembled the IEKA one .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 07/05/2015 17:20, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That looks nicely made, but having such a relatively large hangover at
the ends of a short stool could lead to more excitement than you want.
Take care!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

Top is about 14" by 9", and it stands about 10" tall. The "pegged"
stretcher seems to keep it all nice an solid regardless of load.

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants plans,
let me know and I will draw some.

Looks good.

I would just comment that as it's designed to be stepped on, watch
out for where the top overhangs the feet when you step on/off it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

Top is about 14" by 9", and it stands about 10" tall. The "pegged"
stretcher seems to keep it all nice an solid regardless of load.

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants plans,
let me know and I will draw some.

Looks good.

I would just comment that as it's designed to be stepped on, watch
out for where the top overhangs the feet when you step on/off it.

Looks comfy. I think I would have deepened the cross member (stile?) to
withstand tangential loading. Particularly in view of your impact on the
plastic whatsit:-)

I spent my morning fabricating a *rotted post* puller from bits lying
around the farm and the afternoon discovering that posts in dry ground
rot some distance below the surface:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 18:15:26 UTC+1, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

Top is about 14" by 9", and it stands about 10" tall. The "pegged"
stretcher seems to keep it all nice an solid regardless of load.

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants plans,
let me know and I will draw some.

Looks good.

I would just comment that as it's designed to be stepped on, watch
out for where the top overhangs the feet when you step on/off it.

Since the stool is a rigid structure, its the overhang compared to the foot position that counts. The latter could be shifted by adding wider feet onto the base if desired.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 17:20:04 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I envy your supply of tuits. I'm very lacking of late.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/15 19:16, wrote:
[...]

You are welcome to some of mine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 19:25:01 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 07/05/15 19:16, nt wrote:

I envy your supply of tuits. I'm very lacking of late.

You are welcome to some of mine

I wish

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Looks great! Was SWMBO happy with it as a replacement for her green
plastic monstrosity?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 18:08, wrote:
[...]

The design was done so that there is actually very little hangover - the
legs splay out such that the footprint is only 1/2" smaller all round
that the top. So its quite stable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

Top is about 14" by 9", and it stands about 10" tall. The "pegged"
stretcher seems to keep it all nice an solid regardless of load.

The design was a figment of my imagination, but if anyone wants
plans, let me know and I will draw some.

Looks good.

I would just comment that as it's designed to be stepped on, watch
out for where the top overhangs the feet when you step on/off it.

Since the stool is a rigid structure, its the overhang compared to
the foot position that counts. The latter could be shifted by adding
wider feet onto the base if desired.

Hopefully this shot shows that the amount of overhang is mostly an illusion:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oolEndView.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/05/2015 19:52, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

After an initial "will that take my weight?" doubt (which I dispelled
conclusively by standing on it!), see seemed gruntled. I think I am
forgiven for the destruction of the original ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 07/05/2015 21:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/05/2015 18:08, wrote:
[...]

OK, it must be a perspective effect in that photo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nice design, even has a fart hole...

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

I'm hugely envious of your skills, John.

I'm hugely envious of his outlook on life.

I would have invented quite a lot of new words then gone down the pub.

John makes a stool!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John makes a stool!

did he use corn in there for texture ? .....sorry the stool is nice ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yup partly... the narrow axis overhang is quite small. Its slight wider
on the long axis - probably an inch to inch and a half each end. (the
legs splay by 12 degrees - and are set in 2.5" from the end where they
meet the top. However there is also a slight concave radius on the end
which brings the edge in a little)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-07, John Rumm wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...dStepStool.jpg

I'm hugely envious of your skills, John.

Kind of you to say. In reality most of the skill was working out "how do
I get out of that?" each time I realised I had done something in a sub
optimal order! Like cutting the radius on the end of the top and then
thinking about how to route the mortice for the legs ;-)

(moral of the story, have a plan before you start cutting!)

--
Cheers,

John.

changing cooker control switch (with socket) into double socket JimK[_3_] UK diy 21 July 9th 14 08:51 AM
Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket? paulfoel UK diy 69 February 15th 14 08:29 AM
double socket change to single socket plus spur for disposal unit misterroy UK diy 22 June 23rd 13 08:09 PM
Socket set robgraham UK diy 1 May 1st 13 08:34 PM
Odd BT socket Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 28 September 28th 04 11:24 AM