Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Re)configurable lighting zones?

I am pondering the idea of creating an open plan kitchen/dining/living area and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed downlights.

In order to provide some flexibility I was wondering about ways to create (re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I can control independently as required.

I could of course just run every light back to a small number of configurable distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however are there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions suitable for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

I don't anticipate needing to make day-to-day changes, it is more just to allow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/layout matures.

Any comments/experiences?

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 20:56:03 UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:
I could of course just run every light back to a small number of configurable
distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however are
there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions suitable
for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

There are probably things based on DALI (digital lighting control) or even DMX (used for disco lights etc) but each light or cluster would need a receiver.

On large commercial systems there is a saving in cabling costs and labour charges using a power bus and a control bus to all lights, but for domestic I think it's probably easier to just have each cluster separately switched.

If you want dimming, or pre-set scenes, then Crestron has fairly small controls to start with.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/15 20:55, Mathew Newton wrote:
I am pondering the idea of creating an open plan kitchen/dining/living area and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed downlights.

In order to provide some flexibility I was wondering about ways to create (re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I can control independently as required.

I could of course just run every light back to a small number of configurable distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however are there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions suitable for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

I don't anticipate needing to make day-to-day changes, it is more just to allow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/layout matures.

Any comments/experiences?

Mathew

The way I would do this is bring all the cables back to a central
location and cluster the junctions boxes together (or use one large JB
full of Wagos or (perhaps nicer) a DIN rail and din rail terminals.

Wire them conventionally (ie hard wire the switches and lights) - but
should a change be desired, it's more or a less a rejumpering exercise
in the junction boxes with no recabling needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:22:58 AM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Click Flow usd a lot behind suspended ceilings

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...tml#Click_Flow
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:56:03 PM UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:
I am pondering the idea of creating an open plan kitchen/dining/living area and, as part of the overall lighting strategy, am considering recessed downlights.

In order to provide some flexibility I was wondering about ways to create (re)configurable lighting zones e.g having 'clusters' of lights that I can control independently as required.

I could of course just run every light back to a small number of configurable distribution busse with each bus controlled by a single switch however are there better ways? Surely there are addressable lighting solutions suitable for the home as opposed to larger/commercial environments?

I don't anticipate needing to make day-to-day changes, it is more just to allow room changes and to make initial setup easier as the room plan/layout matures.

Any comments/experiences?

Mathew

DMX is one way to go , but it integrates better if your going for the full home automation deal.

LightwaveRF might be worth a look

http://www.lightwaverf.co.uk/

or internet of thngs WeMo

http://www.belkin.com/uk/Products/ho...me-automation/

bathroom and shower lighting, zones, etc Fred UK diy 14 January 17th 11 01:56 PM
definition of above shower for lighting zones [email protected] UK diy 12 March 21st 09 12:33 AM
Bathroom lighting query.. zones and ip44 dennis@home UK diy 6 April 14th 08 09:28 AM
CH Zones again. Mike Barnard UK diy 20 July 1st 07 10:13 PM
dimmer switches for multiple lighting zones Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 0 February 4th 04 05:42 PM