Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom lighting query.. zones and ip44

Is a mains lamp IP44 lamp like
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...scent-Tube-32W
really suitable for zone zero? I didn't think it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Is a mains lamp IP44 lamp like
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...scent-Tube-32W
really suitable for zone zero? I didn't think it was.

Who says it is?

The listing says zones 1-3 when ceiling mounted.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
Is a mains lamp IP44 lamp like
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...scent-Tube-32W
really suitable for zone zero? I didn't think it was.

Who says it is?

The listing says zones 1-3 when ceiling mounted.

David

Sorry I meant zone one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
Is a mains lamp IP44 lamp like
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...scent-Tube-32W
really suitable for zone zero? I didn't think it was.

Who says it is?

The listing says zones 1-3 when ceiling mounted.

David

Sorry I meant zone one.

Well AFAIK the IPx4 rating means that by definition it's suitable for
zone 1, unless I'm mistaken?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
Is a mains lamp IP44 lamp like
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...scent-Tube-32W
really suitable for zone zero? I didn't think it was.

Who says it is?

The listing says zones 1-3 when ceiling mounted.

David

Sorry I meant zone one.

Well AFAIK the IPx4 rating means that by definition it's suitable for zone
1, unless I'm mistaken?

I think I read something that said it had to be IP65 for zone one but I am
not really sure.
The one I am replacing isn't IP anything but its half in zone one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I think I read something that said it had to be IP65 for zone one but I
am not really sure.

The requirement is IPx4 for all equipment in zones 1 and 2, or IPx5 if
water jets will be used for cleaning [701.512.2, 17th ed.]. This does
not apply to shaver supply units to BS EN 61558-2-5 provided they're
mounted so that direct spray from a shower is unlikely.

In zone 0 it's IPx7 and zone 3 will shortly cease to exist.

30 mA RCD protection is required for all circuits of course, if you're
working to the 17th ed.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

I think I read something that said it had to be IP65 for zone one but I
am not really sure.

The requirement is IPx4 for all equipment in zones 1 and 2, or IPx5 if
water jets will be used for cleaning [701.512.2, 17th ed.]. This does not
apply to shaver supply units to BS EN 61558-2-5 provided they're mounted
so that direct spray from a shower is unlikely.

So you can clean them with a hose but not spray them with a shower? 8-)

In zone 0 it's IPx7 and zone 3 will shortly cease to exist.

30 mA RCD protection is required for all circuits of course, if you're
working to the 17th ed.

Well it's not getting an rcd on the main light.
The last thing I need is for it to go dark for no reason.
It will have one on the rest though.

Bathroom zones / regs Colin Wilson UK diy 5 September 11th 07 09:18 PM
Bathroom Zones Sparks UK diy 23 September 14th 06 08:19 PM
Bathroom zones Troy UK diy 3 December 18th 04 09:34 PM
dimmer switches for multiple lighting zones Seamus Mc Loughlin UK diy 0 February 4th 04 05:42 PM
bathroom lighting - IP65? IP44? IP20? rob c UK diy 1 September 28th 03 04:46 PM